Catholic Weddings

Flower Girls

Hi Knotties! At the church they will not let flower girls drop petals on their way down the aisle. I was thinking of still doing a traditional flower girl basket, but am not sure why since the point of them is kind of gone. What did you do with flower girls? Did you have them carry something else? Put something else in the basket? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Re: Flower Girls

• dogluver315dogluver315 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FG is carrying an identical bouquet to mine just smaller. Her dress is a ball gown style like mine so she is more like a minature bride. My church also won't let her drop petals.
  • ChihuahuaGolfChihuahuaGolf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never known a flower girl that was actually allowed to throw petals (at least not in a church). I've always thought the point of the flower girl was to have everyone go "Awww!" At my sister's wedding, her 18 month old God-daughter carried a basket of (fake) flowers. She carried her little basket in one hand, with her arm straight out in front of her, and grinned the whole way down the aisle...stopping halfway to turn around and wave to my sister. It was adorable...and nobody missed the petals. We are having my FI's God-daughter as our flower girl, and she will be almost 3 at the time. We are giving her a pomander to carry, and we are expecting her Dad (a groomsman) to escourt her - she isn't as out-going as my sister's God-daugher! Our florist says any child under the age of 6 or so should be given fake flowers because they will most likely be swinging it around.
  • edited December 2011
    My flower girls are carrying Pomanders. They are so cute and fun-- perfect for little girls!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine will have small bouquets of 3 gerbera daisies.When I was a flower girl, I carried a basket with a small floral arrangement (you know, the kind that gets stuck in floral foam).
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Our church also will not allow petals, we chose to use a pomander.
  • edited December 2011
    Our flower girl is carrying a wicker basket with some gerbera daisies, greenery & some ribbon.
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Well you can always ask if they can use fake petals. Did they say no to that too?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tuneful_BrideTuneful_Bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our 2 flower girls each carried a small bouquet with long ribbons. When it came time for the presentation of flowers to the Blessed Mother, we went down and collected the bouquets, then I wrapped the ribbons around the two bouquets together before taking them up to the altar. We liked the symbolism, and both our flower girls were happy with the arrangement. It also solved the problem of who held on to the flowers for Mary, or where we were supposed to pick up the bouquet.
  • edited December 2011
    Our church charges a $100 clean up fee for rose petals and I'm cheap :)My 3 flower girls are carrying pomanders of silk flowers. I'm sure they will have fun whacking each other with them after the ceremony :)
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    I had 2 flower girls and they each walked up the aisle holding a single rose and handed 1 single white rose to each mom (his and mine) it was very very cute and a nice way to honor the moms.
  • edited December 2011
    I am planning on having the FG hold a pomander.  I originally wanted the petals thrown on the floor too but the church charges a cleaning fee - so I said forget that.Although I do like the idea mentioned about walking down with the 2 roses and then handing them to the mothers - very nice.
  • procowarner15procowarner15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my flower girl a basket ($3 at Michaels). But she is only 23 months old so Im not sure I want to put anything in it. It will be hard enough to get her down the isle and nobody is going to be paying attention to what is in her basket, instead they will be going "awww" cuz she looks freakin adorable in her dress!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your ideas! I love the idea of having them each give a rose to our moms!
  • canary11canary11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having 2 flower girls. I will have them carry a single sunflower each, tied with ribbon. Then, we'll likely use those flowers for presentation to Mary (if we do that).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I say ask, ask, ask.  When we figured out the church situation, they gave us an 8 page list of rules!  One of which was absolutely no flower petals down the aisle.  I wasn't satisfied with the answer, so I emailed the wedding coordinator at the church, and after she talked with the head priest, it was okayed.  The stipulations were as follows:  white rose petals only (no dye from a colored petal), and we have to clean up the petals ourselves.  Easy as asking!
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards