Catholic Weddings

AW: First meeting with the priest

Last night, my FI and I finally met with our priest for the first time!  It really was wonderful; he asked us about our individual backgrounds, how we met, how we see love as being different from infatuation, and how we know that each other is "the one".  He did mention his concern over our youth (I'm 22 and FI is 23) and over the fact that we are living together, but it was in a friendly way.  He didn't bat an eyelash when we said that FI is Baptist, but he said that he himself was a product of a Catholic mother and a Baptist father, so it was all good!We took the FOCCUS test too and are going to go over it in a couple of weeks.  It wasn't difficult, but there probably are a couple of areas that he will talk to us about.  FI and I compared answers afterwards, and it seems that we answered the same way for most of the questions.  We agreed that it will be really nice to discuss some things with the priest.All-in-all, it was a good time.  We are new to the parish, so we were nervous because we didn't know our priest at all, but he is really nice and we are comfortable with him.  He thinks that we'll be able to get the date we requested, and he even told us that he doesn't charge a fee for using the church even though it's a cathedral!  He did say that we can't use it for the reception, so that's one more thing I have to start finding!So...looking forward to our next class!  We also have to sign up for the Conference for the Engaged, so there's lots of introspection in store for us!

Re: AW: First meeting with the priest

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    noonies, that's great! 
  • tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  I'm glad that it went so well for you.  My FI and I found discussing the FOCCUS questions was a great tool.  We thought that we weren't going to get much out of the classes but were wrong.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Yay! Sounds like your priest is a very understanding man. Our first meeting with our priest was AWFUL. We are getting married in FIs home parish 300 mi. away. We took off work, drove up and met for 5 minutes for him to pencil our name onto the calendar. Then he had to go. We found out a few weeks later another couple took our date and time and since he only 'penciled' us in (its a cathedral and a lot people like to get married there) our date wasn't in stone anyway. FI and I are very much in our youth, I am 18 and he is 20 but he comes from a highly religious family so the priest new him well and everything. Our priest knew we were living together also but didn't say much about it. Congrats on getting your fee waived! Luckily my FIs family has tithed enough to cover the cost. Good luck on finding your reception venue :)
  • edited December 2011
    That's great that you both feel really comfortable with the priest! :-)I was a little nervous when we took the FOCUS test but realized it was fine and it was interesting to go over.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    amber, that sounds awful!  Did you tell him how far you were driving? My priest said that there were no other weddings in January at all, but he wouldn't absolutely commit to our date since he wanted to see how we answered on our FOCCUS first.  He is very serious about not letting people with relationship issues marry, but I think that FI and I will be fine!Thanks for the support everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards