Catholic Weddings
Options

Music

Hi Ladies,

So I'm trying to get a handle on the wedding music.  We are having the church organist, and a string quartet.  The quartet will play music for 15 mins before the service, 2 processionals, 2 songs during the ceremony and 1 recessional. 

The only songs I know for certain is that I want a version of Cannon in D for me to walk down to, and we are leaving with Ode to Joy.  I'm not entirely sure what I need for songs during the ceremony and what would be another good processional song (for the mothers).  We are doing the roses for Mary, so they are playing Ave Maria.  I was leaning towards The Prayer during communion, but not sure about response psalm, if we should have Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, or Prayer of St Francis.  

What do you ladies think?

Re: Music

• Options
    I don't really know the answers to your specific questions - only you can decide which you prefer. It might be helpful to talk to the organist and see their recommendations. Also, you could check out the Catholic Wedding page here https://sites.google.com/site/theknotcatholicweddings/
    for some more ideas.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I wouldn't allow "the prayer" at all at a wedding, most definitely during Communion. It's a secular song. The communion song is supposed to be participatory by the congregation, and in some way, Eucharistic. 

Jesu and Prayer of St Francis are both not psalms-- You need a psalm for the responsorial psalm (couldn't tell if you were going to place them there or not).

The mass music lineup is this:

Processionals
    Gathering song (optional)
    (Gloria-- though this is a new requirement and lots of places aren't doing them)
    Psalm
    Gospel Acclamation (Alleluia)
    Offertory Song
    Holy, Memorial Accalamation, Amen, Lamb of God
    Communion (or 2)
    Mary
    Sending
  • Options
    You can check out the site lalaith gave to see what music others have chosen, but I also recommend talking to the music director at the parish.  They will surely have plenty of suggestions, and will know whether or not they'll allow certain songs, what's required, etc.  I think it can be a good idea to go into the meeting with the music director with some ideas of what you want (particularly for your processional/recessional), but also with an open mind. 

I think I had the mothers seated during the Ave Maria.  I did not do flowers to Mary, but I did a Marian hymn during the offertory -- the Magnificat.  Perhaps you could consider something like that, if you'd like to seat the mothers to Ave Maria.  Jesu is another beautiful song that could work nicely for seating the mothers. 

• Options
    All the above resources the ladies mentioned above are very helpful!!  If you need to find Psalms or select Mass settings, in addition to talking with your organist/music director, you could always stay after church with your fiance and take a look through the hymnals and see if there are any particular options for those that you'd like to use at your Nuptial Mass.  Most comprehensive hymnals will have sections of Mass settings (gloria, Alleluia, etc) and Responsorial psalms.  Will you have a cantor as well to lead the singing?
  • Options
    agape what are some ideas of psalms you've used?We are having an offetory song, I did think about using Jesu.  I've seen various lists that allow The Prayer, so I just have to check specifically with the priest of the church we are getting married at.  Our actual priest isn't as strict and he's celebrating our ceremony.
  • Options
    The Lord is kind and merciful
    I lift up my soul - Manion
    Taste and See
    I love you Lord
  • Options
    I would call the music director at your church and set up a meeting with them.
    I already knew ours personally and had a good idea of what we wanted, but he insisted in the meeting.  VERY glad we had it!

He had a list of "acceptable" songs and played a few of each for us on the undecided portions (like, we didn't know which Mass parts we wanted).

Even if they aren't able to meet with you and play through stuff, they should still be able to give you a list of suggested and acceptable songs.

This link is also helpful to get some ideas:

http://www.stannebarrington.org/weddings/wedmus.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards