Catholic Weddings

dispensations

am i correct to assume that a dispensation cannot be applied for at a parent's request, but that it must come as a request from the couple who is marrying? 

example:  a mixed marriage.  marriage is to take place at the protestant church.  the couple does not care about getting a dispensation so that its valid for the catholic (who is a lapsed catholic although has not formally left the church).  a parent asks for the dispensation without child's knowledge because they want their child's marriage valid in the eyes of the church. 

Re: dispensations

• I would assume the same way as you, but don't have authority to back me up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't really know... but I imagine at some point this couple getting married would have to sign something? I would think that if at any point they signed something that it would be valid, regardless of who "requested" it? Not really sure here... more just guessing.
    Anniversary
  • The dispensation isn't merely paperwork. In order to have a valid marraige in the church, the couple must still meet the requirements, (open to life, not previously married, etc) AND attend marriage prep, go through pre-marital investigations

The dispensation from form is simply for the marriage ceremony itself, but wouldn't be given if these other things aren't done.
  • I'm not even well versed in these rules, but I agree that I don't think that can happen.

The marriage has nothing to do with the parent and if the adult child does not want to get married in the church, that is the child's decision.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards