Catholic Weddings

Gift/Tip for Priest?

The priest that will be marrying us is a family friend that I have known since I was born and has married my sister and all my cousins, but the church we are getting married at is not his parish so I am not sure if he will be getting any of the $ that we donated for the wedding? So my question is what should I give him as a gift/tip? What is appropriate? Should I give him some cash or a gift card to a restaurant? I have no clue.. My grandparents own a Catholic religious supply store and maybe I can give him a nice statue or something but I don't know if that is something he would have tons of already? Thanks in advance!:)

Re: Gift/Tip for Priest?

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My guess is that if it's not his church he won't see any of that donation money.  The church will use it to cover their cost of holding your wedding.  But I can't be sure not knowing their policies.  My understanding is that the tip/donation to the minister is their payment for performing a professional service.  If you look at it from that point of view would you get your hair cut and then give the stylist a knick knack?  But since he is a family friend that might put a different spin on the situation.  What did your sister and cousins give him? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ocgirl310ocgirl310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just called my sister and she said she gave him money, I think you are right with the "knick knack":) That does sound kinda cheesy! Thanks! Money it is then:)
  • edited December 2011

The priest performing our ceremony is my cousin who was also my sponsor when I got confirmed. His and my saints name is Michael, so I am giving him a beautiful statue of Michael and the dragon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards