Catholic Weddings

Test(under-oath) at Church

We are getting married at a Catholic Church.  The priest has informed us that we have to go in next month to take a test under-oath.  I am not sure what this is or entails, has anyone done this yet, can you tell me what to expect?  i assuming it if stuff to see if we would raise kids catholic, and see if we are on the same page with $,religion, marriage.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Test(under-oath) at Church

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    its probably the FOCCUS test.  i didnt have to take it, but from what i gather from others, its essentially a compatiblity test.  i woudlnt stress it.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, my FI is annoyed we have to annoyed we have to do this.  This might help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    its a very common part of pre-cana.  i actually think we were unique in that we didnt have to do it.  my priest thought it was a silly exercise and felt it more important to focus on the sacrament, living a catholic marriage and life rather than whether or not we know how to balance our checkbook and handle finances.  but we're also an older couple and had been living on our own for 10+ years.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not the FOCCUS. It's called the pre-marital inventory. He will ask you your full name, birthday, when and where you were baptized, made your first communion and confirmation, if you've ever been married before, etc... It's nothing to stress about. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Oh yea, it is just simple questions, some are funny actually, like "is anyone forcing you to marry this person" or "to your knowledge are you and your FI related" not need to stress at all, and honestly i think the focus test was a good thing, it helps to point out areas that are strong in your relationship which makes you feel great but also what you might need to work on...good luck...and don't stress
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and i have done it. it takes five minutes and the questions include "Do you practice your faith regularly?" and "What religion were you raised or practice?" You will give your parents names and religious background. They might also give you a piece of paper that a family member will sign which is them saying that you are free to marry. Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • edited December 2011
    I would be prepared to take the FOCCUS during your meeting with the Father. The FI and I did it during our first meeting and then spend the next year going over the answers. I actually enjoyed it . . FI found it annoying but I think deep down he liked it too. It helped us to start conversation about things we might not have talked about otherwise.

The only uncomfortable part was discussing sex with a holyman. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    It's very easy...nothing to worry about.  When we took it, FH and I went into the room with the priest seperately, took an oath that we were answering all questions truthfully, and then took the test.  Definitely a compatibility test.  No sweat
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards