Catholic Weddings
Options

confession???

So my fiance says we have to do confession before we get married. Is this true? Do we do it through our priest? I havent heard this before.
Anniversary

Re: confession???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It is highly recommended. H and I did it the Thursday before our Saturday wedding. And yes, only a priest can hear confessions.
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep.  Are you both Catholic or just FI? If you're Catholic, then yes.  You should go to confession prior to getting married.

Marriage is a sacrament, and before receiving a sacrament, you should be in a state of Grace.

Technically, you should go to confession before Sunday Mass because you should be in a state of Grace while receiving the Eucharist.  I'm guilty of not doing that myself every week, but they say to go at least once a year ... bare minimum.

And just ask the priest marrying you when he is available to hear confessions.  He might be able to do it before or after the wedding rehearsal for you, FI, other members of the wedding party if they so desire...  If he is unavailable to hear confessions on the day of the rehearsal, you could arrange a time with him earlier in the week.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Catarina: Thank you thats a great idea! Yes, we are both catholic - but I wasnt sure if we had to use the prist that was marrying us or if we just go on our own time. Our church is a Basillica, but they dont do any of the tradional stuff. I get no help from the lady in the office, everytime I call with questions she doesnt get back to me.
    I will see if we can do the confession at the rehearsal - that is a great idea!!! However, its our proests mothers 80th birthday - and he's not sure if he'll make our rehearsal. It depends when his mothers party is - lol.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ditto catarntina.

catholics are obligated to confess at least once a year, and at least once during Lent (the one time during lent can cover you for your once per year)

but, as she said, you are ideally supposed to be as sin free as possible before receiving communion, and ideally before receiving your sacrament of marriage.  our priest heard confessions after our rehearsal, and before we all went to dinner.

confession in and of itself is a sacrament.  dont view it as a bad thing.  in fact, the more often you go, the easier it is.  you eitehr find you dont commit as many sins in the first place, knowing you'll be accountable or you just find that you have a great feeling of peace (at least i do).  it makes you more aware of right vs wrong.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what everyone said.  My priest wasn't able to hear confessions at the rehearsal, so I went the Saturday before and then tried harder than usual to avoid any sorts of things that might put me out of grace.  If it was a little more convenient for me to go to confession more regularly, I probably would.  I feel so light and free afterwards just talking over my concerns with the priest.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely will go to Confession as close to the wedding as possible...like others said, I always feel so light and happy after I get done, and I want to go into my wedding Mass with a clean heart and conscience.

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    PolkaDot24PolkaDot24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OP, I'm glad you brought this up.

Both of our families are Catholic, but neither go to confession regularly. After FBIL's rehearsal the priest heard confessions, and FI's family was poking fun at people as they finished. ("You sure were in there a while" or "That's it? You must be an angel.") I found it incredibly uncomfortable. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

I'd like to have the priest hear confessions after the rehearsal, but I think I might follow other PPs and go my own before the wedding.

I envy those of you who say it makes you feel happy after going. I've never felt that way.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PolkaDot, if I had ILs like yours, I'd probably opt not to do confession after the rehearsal too.  I like going to confession on my own, it feels more personal and private that way.  Also, in my WP, I think only two of us actually go to confession.  There were a lot of non-Catholics or lapsed Catholics in my group.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are planning to go before the ceremony. We went to confession at our Catholic Engaged Encounter weekend. I felt like a ton of bricks had been lifted off of my shoulders after. I'll have to see if our priest will be able to do confessions the day of the rehearsal.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards