Catholic Weddings
Options

Ceremony Music Cost

How much did your musicians charge? Hehe, I'm reeling a little from sticker shock right now, but I guess they gotta eat too!

Re: Ceremony Music Cost

• Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cantor is charging $150. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Megglez2008Megglez2008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The music director from our church charges $350, and then we have a couple friends playing/singing during the ceremony. We're still working out the prices with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our organist is $150 and if she attends the rehearsal it is an extra $35. Our cantor is not included in that price so we asked someone that sings at church that we like and she is asking $50. I didn't think that was too bad...
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

$200, whether we use her or not.

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Generally, I've heard about $150-$200, though our church did not charge us and we did not use their musicians. We brought in our own choir and musicians and spent a lot more than that - but that was our choice. The reason many churches charge a fee whether you use their musician not is that many churches pay them a salary to be on staff as the music director for everything at the church. They aren't just paid per weekend, they are on staff, so it is costly to the church. Even if you don't use the music director for the day of, they are supposed to work with you to help you select music and to make sure the music you use is appropriate.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i think our organist was $300, maybe $325.  the vocalist (who we opted not to use) was about $100.  we just had the organ, i've never been that impressed with singers at weddings.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours normally charges $250 to play and sing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The music director at our parish isn't even really available for weddings--they just give you a list of peope they recommend. Both people who are pianist/vocalist charge $300. I guess that is on the high end, but pretty much in line with what you guys said. I was a little annoyed because one of them said they only play from a strict list of songs. We're not planning on doing anything that is secular, etc., but I'm really hoping he doesn't refuse to play "We Are One Body" for communion and one other comtemporary song based on the Song of Solomon--those were both important to us.

I'm thinking about hiring a HS student to do the trumpet for the Trumpet Voluntary. 150+ for one song is ridiculous and I don't like how it sounds played on the piano.

At any rate--thanks for your input!
  • Options
    wparsons1223wparsons1223 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our organist is 150, plus gas $ if we want him at the rehersal.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to pay the organist and cantor $200 even though I'm not using them.  I hired a choir and wrote some arrangements myself and got all the music for them to sing.  They cost $2000 with their organist and director. 
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ceremony-music-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3ca9adf1-97ad-4330-b63d-f4060847848fPost:9d192d16-dc89-470b-995d-be72488b8f45">Re: Ceremony Music Cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours normally charges $250 to play and sing.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

This and we hired a trumpeter and flutist from the outside
  • Options
    OctoberLouOctoberLou member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had sticker shock too! We're having a pianist and male and female vocalists for $175 each, so $525 total.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ceremony-music-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3ca9adf1-97ad-4330-b63d-f4060847848fPost:4587c4cc-4903-4a3e-9efd-f3c7d2071c9f">Re: Ceremony Music Cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking about hiring a HS student to do the trumpet for the Trumpet Voluntary. 150+ for one song is ridiculous and I don't like how it sounds played on the piano.
    Posted by Jay+Marissa[/QUOTE]
    Hmmm... make sure you audition them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a harpist and she charged about $200.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ceremony-music-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3ca9adf1-97ad-4330-b63d-f4060847848fPost:b65ebdda-47e4-44b5-8598-786c11425f82">Re: Ceremony Music Cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony Music Cost : Hmmm... make sure you audition them!
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

I asked my brother's girlfriend for recommendations--she's a band senior and seems to know who would be good.

Ack...the pianist/vocalist also emailed today and said "<font size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt;">the specific processional and recessional songs are not in my wedding repertoire"

We we're going with Trumpet Voluntary & Hornpipe from Watermusic--they were both on the list the Church gave us to choose from (and there were only a few choices!)

I'm not sure if this means he doesn't know the pieces or just wont play them? I know Trumpet Voluntary can be played on the piano, but I'm not sure about hornpipe. This is getting old.
    </span></font>
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_ceremony-music-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3ca9adf1-97ad-4330-b63d-f4060847848fPost:5e08625c-3c0a-4878-8cd0-14ff1ae40e2b">Re: Ceremony Music Cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony Music Cost : I asked my brother's girlfriend for recommendations--she's a band senior and seems to know who would be good. <strong>Ack...the pianist/vocalist also emailed today and said " the specific processional and recessional songs are not in my wedding repertoire"</strong> We we're going with Trumpet Voluntary & Hornpipe from Watermusic--they were both on the list the Church gave us to choose from (and there were only a few choices!) I'm not sure if this means he doesn't know the pieces or just wont play them? I know Trumpet Voluntary can be played on the piano, but I'm not sure about hornpipe. This is getting old.
    Posted by Jay+Marissa[/QUOTE]

That's BS. Those are very common wedding pieces and there are many piano arrangements for both, at various difficulty levels. If they're not in her repertoire (which most likely means she doesn't know them), she ought to add them. Quite frankly, I think her response to you is rather unprofessional. Would she be willing to learn them if you gave her the music?

Can you find another musician?
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's actually a guy (who is just out of college, though he has a degree in music performance). I'm going to ask him about it, but I'm also going to contact the other pianist/vocalist that has more experience
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jay and marissa, don't use that person. His answer meant that he doesn't know how to play it. It's a really common piece and there's a million piano arrangements for that.  He must be inexperienced and unable to learn new pieces quickly.  Find someone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got quoted $650 for a string quartet...for an hour. This is 4 people for 1 hour. That's $162.50 for each person per hour. Ridiculous (I think so anyways). ESPECIALLY since my DJ (2 people) is charging me $500 for unlimited time...which will be about 4 hours. That's $62.50 per hour. Quite a difference. haha. PLUS they offered to do the music for our ceremony for no extra charge. Argg...I know this doesn't help you but it felt good to vent. I wanted a string quartet. :(
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kristin, a dj is always cheaper than a quartet. The dj is already making money off of you at the reception so he's already got his stuff there. It's easy for him to then extend his playing a little bit longer.

In my personal opinion, nothing could ever beat live music over recorded music.  The people in the string quartet have studied their craft for years to become good at it.  You're not just paying them for their time. You're paying them for their talent.  Of that 162 dollars, it's not going to be pure profit because of the time and distance they'll have to travel to get to your wedding. Also consider that they are more likely to be there for around an hour and a half because of the prelude, etc. 

That said, try calling the music directors at local colleges and seeing if there are any music students there that would be willing to perform.  You might be able to find someone for less than 650.  But, I think a string quartet would be great and you should keep looking to see if there is one in your budget. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Theresa, that's so true! I hadn't really thought of it all that way. Sadly, this WAS a quote from a college and I have contacted other colleges over and over again and can't get anything. (It's a reeeeally small town area) I'm still going for a quartet though and maybe I'll spend less on something else just to get the one that I found for the 650.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Theresa, live professional musicians should be charging more than a DJ. Especially since they likely need to rehearse beforehand, so you are paying for more than an hours' worth of their time.

I would consider using a string trio to save some money. While we used a quartet, my sister used a trio and really you wouldn't notice too much of a difference!
  • Options
    baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Our is $300 for the organist and cantor, and $100 - $150 for the violinist.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $200 for the organist
    $125 for the cantor

We where required to use the church organist and cantor
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Theresa about the costs... keep in mind that these musicians:

- Probably pay for their own music
    - May be paying for studio space in which to rehearse
    - Spend time during the week rehearsing
    - Don't play weddings for 40 hours straight every week the way that those of us with 9-5 jobs do (therefore aren't making a salary equivalent to $162.50/hr for the entire week)

IMO $650 sounds like a good rate for a string quartet. By the time they're in college studying music, they're playing pretty much at a professional level and certainly good enough to cover most wedding repertoire. The college music students I know don't even give much of a discount just because they're students.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ack...I asked the original pianist/vocalist what processional/recessional he does play--he said the Wedding March by Wagner for the processional and The Wedding March By Mendelssohn for the recessional. The Church SPECIFICALLY told me those were a no no. I'm so confused--why is this guy recommended by the Church?? Argh...I'm definitely going with someone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok I'm not sure if this is making me feel better or worse!

The pianist/organist at the chuch is $175 - totally reasonable in my opinion.

I'd like a vocalist as well...that's where I think it's over priced!  I only need 1 hour of music since we are not having a nuptual mass so that will be plenty of time to have music while guests are being seated.  One vocalist charges $350, I contacted a school and they charge $250 (do- able) and the other one I contacted charges $350 (she will play the piano but does not play any of the songs I want only like mainstream stuff you hear on the radio so I'd be paying her the same to sing only).

I guess I feel like it's a lot for a couple of reasons:
    1. It's only 1 hour + rehearsal time
    2. I would think that the instrumentalist would be more expensive since they had to learn to play an instrument and maintain one as well.
    3. The vocalist will be singing the psalms and one song during the candlelighting ceremony.  THAT'S IT!  $350 for one song and a couple lines.

:( I haven't decided what to do.  The vocalist who doesn't play the songs I want recommended that she sing along to a CD and then I don't have to pay an instrumentalist but I don't like that idea.  I'm feeling like this is over budget and am also feeling sticker shock!  I'm contemplating having just the pianist/organist to save $.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to clarify-- a price for a musician is not internally based on how many songs they play, or whether its a small difference in time. Once a musician has a gig, they have to do all the same amount of work for that gig whether they play 1 song or 5. Some higher priced outfits might charge per song, but thats not really what they are thinking about when they get a gig. A musician thinks about it being in the middle of the day, about set up and hauling equipment, about getting the music put together in a binder, about coordinating with whoever is "directing traffic" with the procession so that good timing happens, etc.

-2nd a vocalist also has to learn their instrument and maintain it. They also must prepare days ahead of a gig with watching what they eat/drink, not getting sick, etc.

While some churches ignore the rule, the use of recorded music is forbidden in the Catholic church.

-While some of these prices sound a bit high, this is the music for the wedding ceremony- the ceremony is the most important part, imagine it without music. Let's put it into perspective of percentages and what is being paid for the dress and renting out the hall.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

While I do appreciate that a singer maintains thier instrument.  I do not agree that there is the same amount of prep for a 1 hr versus a 5 hr gig.  There is some of the same prep but it will not all take the same amount of time.  Travel time will of course.  But rehearsal for one song versus several will take less time.  Putting together a binder of music for one song is less than for 5.  Also there is no equipment, other than their music that they will have to haul.  In addition it is in the middle of the day but being early there is no reason s/he couldn't book another gig in the evening or late afternoon.

Also, yes the vocalist has to coordinate with other musicians, travel, bring their music, learn and rehearse the music but so does the instrumentalist.  That is my point.  I don't understand why the vocalists charge double.  Of course reality is that they can and do :)

I was just responding to the OP about It being more than I expected that's all.  It's not that we don't value our ceremony!

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Clarification- I said 1 or 5 songs, not hours.

I am a freelance musician, and it is the same gig whether its 1 or 5 songs. Any competent musician already knows the songs, its not whether I play 1 or 5, its the rest of the logistics. As a musician that does repetitive gigs, many songs are the same, there shouldn't be a need to do full rehearsals either. the musicians do not base their price on number of songs. nor small differences in time. They may charge like they do, but that is not where they are valuing their own time.

ANother clarification, Lindze, even though I was touching on some of your points, I wasn't meaning it to be addressing your specific issue. I agree those prices sound high, nor was I trying to imply that you didn't value your ceremony. It was more of a general comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards