Catholic Weddings

Using another Priest from another Parish?

Hello!!

This is my first post, yay me!! haha, anyways, I am looking for some advice on what to do.  This past April I became Catholic and since we will be living in Memphis, I wanted the Ceremony in my hometown near Chattanooga to give my family this special day. My FI and I have been talking to the Priest at the Parish we will be attending after we get married (Memphis). Since he knows us and the one in Chattanooga does not, he has offered to do the wedding for us. We don't mind paying for him to come to East, Tn, but I would feel bad just bringing another Priest in on a Church that has a Priest that is capable of marrying us. The Chattanooga Priest said he can marry us, but I think it would be awkward to have him officiate the ceremony and not know us at all. We still need to have a few more meetings so should we switch Priests?  I guess my ultimate question is bring in the Priest that we know, or have the Priest at the Church we are having the Ceremony at Officiate?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Using another Priest from another Parish?

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry too much, this happens a lot. Both me and my sister used priests from other parishes to perform the ceremony. Just speak with the priest in the parish you will be having the ceremony in and explain that your "hometown" priest has agreed to perform the ceremony, as long as it's okay with him. He most likely will not be offended. Best wishes!
  • edited December 2011
    Yup, ditto Riss. It happens more than you think & most priests are perfectly ok with it.
  • Jackie5711Jackie5711 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's so important to have a priest that you know (and he knows the both of you) do the wedding.

My FI and I live in NYC but our wedding will be in my hometown of Denver. We're flying our priest across the country for the ceremony :)

The church in Denver seemed perfectly fine with the idea too. 

best of luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AriaGooseAriaGoose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It shouldn't be a problem.  Sometimes the visiting priest just needs to send a letter to the priest of the local parish - to work out some logistics and stuff.  My uncle is officiating our wedding and we are being married at my parents' church where my dad is a deacon.  We worked it out so that my uncle and my parent's priest will co-officiate the wedding - so we will have two priests on our wedding day (plus my dad the deacon - although he is just going to be father-of-the-bride!).  It may be an option for you...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards