Catholic Weddings

NFP Home Course

Hi! 
I don't normally post here (May '11 is my board), but I wanted to ask advice from ladies I felt would be able to give me the best answers! 
I've been looking into NFP for a while now, and my DH&I have discussed this as a BC method we'd like to use.
*shame* We have been using condoms, and either of us enjoy them. But, we also aren't ready for a baby right now. I used to be on the BCP and to be honest, I hated it. It made me feel weird. all.the.time. So once my prescription ran out, I just never renewed it. 
I found on the Couple to Couple League website that they offer a NFP home study course, and I was wonder if anyone here has every use it?

TIA ladies!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
my read shelf:
Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: NFP Home Course

• edited December 2011
    There are a lot of girls on here who have used NFP from Couple to Couple.  I would say your best bet is to do your research (and abstain while you're learning) and take a class if you're confused.  I started by reading Taking Charge of your Fertility, but I was not one hundred percent confident, so I took a class through a local parish and it really helped.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I haven't taken the home study course, nor do I use ST NFP, however, my thoughts are that a class and instructor are better than no class or instructor. That said, finding a local teaching couple who can work with you face to face seems like it is best, because they can troubleshoot any problems that you have or problems that arise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jlq2005jlq2005 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    None of our local parishes offer courses. :( 
    I'll start calling around to see if other local parishes have couples that have tought in the past, maybe there's not enough interest to offer a full class, and they'd be willing to teach one-on-one. Ah. 
    Thanks, ladies. 
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I self taught using the book professor mentioned (which is basically the non-Catholic version of the sympto-thermal method). I haven't taken a course, but I've definitely used the ladies on this board for direction and advice. So that is always an option.

If you have regular cycles, the sympto-thermal method should be fine. If you have any reason to believe you might be prone to reproductive issues, you'll likely want to use a method like Creighton, that doctors utilize with Napro technology to prevent/detect/cure those issues.

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-home-course?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:50198248-c331-4f4d-b4c7-18c183c648d0Post:149f6974-cc38-40bf-a8cd-d982434d6ab2">Re: NFP Home Course</a>:
    [QUOTE]None of our local parishes offer courses. :(  I'll start calling around to see if other local parishes have couples that have tought in the past, maybe there's not enough interest to offer a full class, and they'd be willing to teach one-on-one. Ah.  Thanks, ladies. 
    Posted by jlq2005[/QUOTE]

<div>It's not necessarily given by parishes, depending on the method and who is in what parishes...</div><div>
    </div><div>you can go to <a href="http://www.omsoul.com" rel='nofollow'>www.omsoul.com</a> and find a list there...</div><div>
    </div><div>Go to your diocesan web site and search for NFP...that might give you the family life office, or dept of NFP and they can help you find a teacher.</div>
  • shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I learned from Taking Charge of your fertility. It's a great book and I really recommend it!  I have been charting since last February and I really feel like I got the hang of it after the first cycle or two.  That's just my two cents.  Good luck!! :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took the class the CCL offered. While I enjoyed the class, and I found it very helpful, I still had many questions after the class was over.

My charts weren't fitting into the basic pattern that the instructors said they should fit into.  So I read TCOYF and it cleared everything up for me.

I think if can find an instructor, it's worth the money.  And then if you still have questions, read TCOYF.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We did CCL NFP...we actually just took the postpartum class. I had to find teachers myself for both courses. I definitely recommend taking an actualy class if you can--it helped us clarify questions.

You can use this link to see if there are any teachers in your area and contact them direclty. They were very helpful both times!

http://register.ccli.org/
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Went through CCL's NFP course here, and loved it.  I fully recommend it.  The book TCOYF was a nice-to-know, like a supplement.  But it's adequate to just take CCL's course.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards