Catholic Weddings

Who signs the marriage licence

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if my MOH and Best man signs as the witness in catholic wedding. Should they be catholic?

My mom said something about a sponsor? The person that signs your marriage licence so I have no clue what she is talking about but I thought the MOH and BM does this since they are the once closest to you.

Re: Who signs the marriage licence

• lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our best man is not catholic and he will be signing our marriage license...and the other witness will be my sister/MOH. 
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the civil marriage license, the officiant and two witnesses sign it. Neither our MOH or BM were Catholic.

I've heard other brides say that their priest preferred at least one witness to be Catholic, but this didn't seem to apply to us. Still, double check with your priest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the state, actually.

In Colorado, the Deacon doing my paperwork said either my BM or MOH needed to be Catholic to sign the marriage license.  However, I got married in Ohio so it was a moot point because nobody except for the priest signs the marriage license in Ohio.  H and I didn't even sign it.

Best check with your priest about what your specific requirements are.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Neither our BM or MOH were Catholic. No one signed our marriage license besides the priest and the deacon. I think this one depends on the state or perhaps it is only for civil ceremonies.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    it does depend on the state.  in MA, you dont need witnesses.  our witnesses only had to sign for the catholic marriage, in teh church register.

its up to the priest whether teh MOH and/or BM are Catholic.  i would just ask.  we had planned on asking 2 catholics anyway, but our priest did ask us if they were catholic when we gave him the names.
  • edited December 2011
    okay thanks everyone. I will defintely ask my parish about this. We did meet with the parish as a group for all the couples getting married there and no one had asked abouth this. 
  • edited December 2011
    I was the MOH at my friend's wedding. at the end of the ceremony, the priest signed the license & so did the BM and myself. No one ever asked if we (BM and I) were Catholic.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards