Catholic Weddings

Do we need a Cantor?

We are having a church ceremony (full Catholic Mass) and we've hired an organist to play during the ceremony.

She said that she has a few Cantors who may be available, but I don't know if we "need" one.

The only parts where we would possibly need anyone to sing are during the responsorial psalm, and if I happen to choose a song (communion song, etc) that has words in it. But I'm thinking that just instrumental songs are what I'm going to go with.

Is it ok to have someone just read the responsorial psalm? and just have the organist playing, and no cantor? or do we need a cantor?
imageimage
Missing Our July Sparkler
BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]

Re: Do we need a Cantor?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_do-we-need-a-cantor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:547c75b7-6df1-4714-b174-79b0d7ae8b2dPost:9ac86d5b-447f-4c4b-b479-10ff6e4c35c5">Do we need a Cantor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a church ceremony (full Catholic Mass) and we've hired an organist to play during the ceremony. She said that she has a few Cantors who may be available, but I don't know if we "need" one. The only parts where we would possibly need anyone to sing are during the responsorial psalm, and if I happen to choose a song (communion song, etc) that has words in it. But I'm thinking that just instrumental songs are what I'm going to go with. Is it ok to have someone just read the responsorial psalm? and just have the organist playing, and no cantor? or do we need a cantor?
    Posted by cpm1223[/QUOTE]

<div>The GIRM requires that a communion song, Gospel Acclamation, the mass parts (Eucharistic acclamations: Holy, memorial acc, amen, and Lamb of God) and the Psalm is sung.  So, you should have a cantor to lead the singing.</div>
  • Yes, if you're having a "full Mass" you will definitely need a cantor. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the responsorial psalm is the only thing that would be sung. Like Agape said, at the bare minimum there is also the mass parts, and certainly the alleluia/gospel acclamation. I've never seen anything *not* sung for commuion, also.
    Anniversary
  • The only time that I've heard most of the typically sung parts of the Mass spoken were during a small daily Mass where there was no cantor available.  At regular Sunday Masses, the only thing that I've heard spoken rather than sung (at most) was the psalm.  For a full wedding Mass... you'd definitely need someone leading the congregation in the sung hymns, responses, etc!  Is your church open to letting you have a vocally talented friend as your cantor?  If you're concerned about the added cost of a cantor, that might be a good option. 
  • Thank you all for your help!

We'll be asking the organist to contact one of the people she works with who is a cantor for the ceremony.

imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • As a cantor myself, I can speak to the fact that if you can get one, definitely do it!  The psalm definitely needs a singer, although you can have a female relative/friend do it fairly easily.  However, I would recommend having a formal cantor, especially if your guests may not all be regular massgoers.  The cantor not only encourages the singing of the congregation, but often provides valuable visual cues as far as indicating when the congregation should sing, stand/sit, etc.  Having your organist recommend someone is a great idea, since experience makes a big difference in the effectiveness of the cantor (so while you may have a very vocally talented friend or family member, they might not be a great cantor).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards