Catholic Weddings
Options

**riss**

how did everything go on friday at the doctor?

PM me if you dont want to share detail here.

Re: **riss**

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Oh - everything went very well - thanks for asking! Haven't gotten lab results back, but she said everything looks great. I asked her about the whole "no more annual pap" thing and she gave me similar information to the ladies here. She said I was probably in the lower risk group, but that if I want one, I can still do it every year (as long as insurance hasn't changed the rules).

I'm already taking a multi-vitamin, so she said to just keep taking that and then if we decided to TTC, to switch to a pre-natal version 3-6 months before. No prescription needed.

She did run down the "BC method" thing, like she does everytime. The nurse that comes in beforehand to do weight/height/BP always takes notes and writes that I'm using the Rhythm method, and then I say "NO, I'm using the Sympto-Thermal Method" and the nurse gets confused and writes Rhythm anyway because she doesn't know what I am talking about.

Then my doctor comes in and is like "You're using the Rhythm method?" and I say "No, Sympto-thermal." and she says "Oh, right, we have that down on last year's form. Okay, great! And you know there is a risk of accidental pregnacy" and I say "Just as much risk as with any other form of BC" with a smile. And she smiles back and says "Right". And we move on.

She's a great doctor, she doesn't rag on me or anything so I just find it funny. I'm glad to be showing her that this method is proven. I'm sure she doesn't have many patients that use NFP.

And there is my novel!Wink
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    that's hilarous - and sad - about the BC convo.

glad it went well!  maybe we will be prego together.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, there was a diagram/table on the wall about forms of birth control from IUD to condoms, etc and it laid out the details about them and how effective they were.

There was no mention of any type of charting method on there. I almost wanted to say something about it, but the office is a huge practice and I'm sure she doesn't have too much control over the signs on the board. But it made me really sad that it's not even mentioned.

I really wish all doctors that prescribe ABC were required to be trained in these methods. Especially since these methods pre-exist many of the other options. I think they get a bad rap because people assume that large famillies are a result of the ineffectiveness of the method, rather than the desire of the parents. And, obviously there is user error, which is usually blamed on the method, rather than the user.

Anywho - the more of us that show these non-NFP doctors that this can work, the better.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As an aside, I am currently in PA for another TOB institute class. This one is called "Catholic sexual ethics" ...its taught by the president of the national catholic bioethics center.

It's been fascinating so far.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im still baffled at how they will suggest charting if you are TTC, but not if you are TTA.  ive said before - if the method tells you when you are fertile for conception, then fertile would mean you need to abstain if you are TTA.  i just dont get why they think it only works one way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They have you chart to TTC if you are lucky. I still know people who are told to try on the 14th day of their cycle and, when it doesn't work after awhile, get shipped off to infertility drugs/reproductive endocrinologist land.

One of the things I love best about my NFP only doc is that when I go to the office, all those BC posters are replaced with NFP info and pro-family stuff. It really is inspiring.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    so how is it that everyone everywhere seems to be charting now to TTC?  have they just done research?  i assumed their docs were telling them this (mine even told me  "that's a good start") back when i told her i was quitting the Pill to go natural/chart to prepare for a baby at somepoint in the next few years.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My doc and his partners pray with patients. My friend was delivering at a Catholic hospital that had perpetual adoration...he turned the channel on the tv to closed circuit tv with a monstrance there, hung a miraculous medal up so she could meditate on it during labor.

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    Calypso - I think many people learn from online support groups. Also, an obgyn is different from RE. I think many REs are better versed on these topics than the obgyns.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agape -- that's pretty cool, although I don't know how reverent I might be when I'm in labor, especially if I decide to go natural. I can see my doc praying with us, though.

Calypso -- I know there are some doctors who are informed on charting and others who are not. Charting seems to be bigger online than IRL for me. Knowing what I do now, I distrust any doctor who doesn't encourage someone dealing with infertility to chart. FI and I are eager to see what they teach him in school in the next few years.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards