Catholic Weddings

When should you take confession before the wedding?

I actually had a question on confession, and the other thread reminded me... and I didn't want to hijack it.

I live in Colorado, the wedding is in Ohio on Nov 27.  I am starting my drive home Nov 19, and I should be in Ohio Nov 21.

Both churches -- the one I attend in Colorado, and the one I am getting married at -- only does confession on Saturdays.  I won't be in either town the Saturday before the wedding since I'm driving across the country, and won't be able to do it before the wedding on Nov 27 because confession is at 4:30, wedding is at 2.

Is it ok to do Confession the Saturday before I leave (Nov 13, which would be two weeks)?  That seems too early.  I would have liked to do this much closer to the wedding. Do priests often make exceptions to do it at a different time? Are you doing this/Did you do this after the rehearsal, or did you have to go at the normal times?
---------
Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: When should you take confession before the wedding?

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can make an appointment with a priest. Often times, when I feel I really need it, I just drop by a church office and ask if a priest is available to hear confessions.

Some priests hear confessions on week day mornings too.

Also, you can ask your priest to hear confessions after your rehearsal, for everyone, (or just for you if you wanted)
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto pp. A lot of priests will take appointments as well.

I don't think a week prior is too early if that is all you can fit in. At least you want to and are going to do it. I think we did ours a few days before the wedding.

OP: Where are you getting married at in Ohio? I am from central Ohio.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OK, thanks for the responses!  I will try to make an appointment for before/after the rehearsal for me and FI, or a few days before if the priest is unavailable to do it the day of the rehearsal.  Their website didn't say that they had weekday confessions on a normal basis.  Just during lent, but I should be able to request it I would hope...

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_should-confession-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:627715b0-2507-4103-a6b2-b390acc9aebaPost:3f781d33-8441-45e9-8d3a-c9e7dabdcab7">Re: When should you take confession before the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP: Where are you getting married at in Ohio? I am from central Ohio.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

MissySue, I was born and raised in Toledo, Ohio.  I will be going back there for the wedding.  I moved to Colorado 1.5 years ago. My entire family is still in NW Ohio.  I miss living there...
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes, you can make an appointment, or in many cases the priest will do it after your rehearsal the night before - ours did.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_should-confession-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:627715b0-2507-4103-a6b2-b390acc9aebaPost:f571f588-e870-495b-97de-87ee5bec8d3b">Re: When should you take confession before the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK, thanks for the responses!  I will try to make an appointment for before/after the rehearsal for me and FI, or a few days before if the priest is unavailable to do it the day of the rehearsal.  Their website didn't say that they had weekday confessions on a normal basis.  Just during lent, but I should be able to request it I would hope... In Response to Re: When should you take confession before the wedding? : MissySue, I was born and raised in Toledo, Ohio.  I will be going back there for the wedding.  I moved to Colorado 1.5 years ago. My entire family is still in NW Ohio. <strong> I miss living there..</strong>.
    Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

Oh, I feel you girl. H and I are both from central Ohio and live in Georgia right now for his job. I hate it here and want to move back so bad. We are going home to visit in October and I can't wait!

We planned our wedding from afar as well. It isn't easy, but can be done. Good luck and congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards