Pennsylvania-Central

Picky Budget Venue Help Please :(

I need help.  :(

My fiance and I are from NJ, both stuck living in Savannah GA... well, he's stationed in Cuba until 8/2011, I'm stuck in Sav until 7/2011.  We were planning on having our wedding in NJ but the prices for everything are SO HIGH, and we have a very very limited time frame (he comes home 8/6/11, we have to move to Ft. Huachuca before 9/2011).  I Got frustrated with the high expense and said "Ridiculous, it would cost less to raise a damn barn!!!"... and then I had the (semi) brilliant idea to have the wedding in Lancaster, PA.

We both adore the idea, we love the are, and I haven't been able to visit in over a year because of having to move to Savannah.  I thought I'd ave some money over the high north Jersey costs, AND we'd be ale to get the laid back look we wanted.  I don't want a frou frou wallpapered, carpeted, gilded, crystal chandeliered venue...  In fact, the Cork Factory Hotel looks amazing.

Then I added it up.  We're on a budget; SERIOUS budget- his car blew up last year and he has been working on the CC bill now since last September.  It is killing me.  I love the Cork, but the MINIMUM appears to be 11,000 (venue/food/bar, BEFORE tax & tip, and that's excluding evvverrryyything else.... hell, I'm already making my own damn dress AND anything else I can manage!!!)

I love the idea of a beautiful wedding in a nice barn that I can decorate but GEEZ- For the amount going into the wedding at the Cork, I can buy a JETTA.  I'm about to make my own damn food and serve it in a backyard.  Does anybody have any recommendations on venue that The Knot hasn't mentioned?  It seems this site caters to the average bride... versus the one who is about the break down and serve ramen.

Help.... please.... I will bake you cookies....  while I bake my own cake....

So every sweet with sour is tempered still that maketh it be coveted the more For easy things that may be got at will most sorts of men do set but little store. Why then should I account of little pain That endless pleasure shall unto me gain?

Re: Picky Budget Venue Help Please :(

• edited December 2011
    I actually think there is one just call 'The Barn' if you google The Barn in Lancaster it might come up. Another nice place is Landis Valley Museum.
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.barnatbirchwood.com/weddings.htm

75$ pp with open bar, 55$ pp without open bar (winter pricing though, don't know how much august/sept. would run you)

found it on a google search, looks kinda nice!
    ~*~ Lord and Lady Lombardi ~*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in York, but my venue is very affordable.  It's Royal Manchester Golf Links.  I know it's not a barn, but it's worth a look!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    You should check out Riverdale Manor. I'm having my wedding there. It can be done very affordably if needed. You pay one rental price for the venue, and then can pick & choose your menu to be as affordable as needed. The grounds are beautiful. Some similiarities to the Cork Factory in decor, which I also checked out.
  • cmng2703cmng2703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How big is your guestlist? You might want to try Perfect Settings in Columbia, which is right at the edge of Lancaster. You are able to bring in basically everything which saves you a ton of money. The space can accomidate 130 for a sit down meal. If you want more information, just let me know!
  • edited December 2011

I can completely empathize.  I'm actually making my own wedding cake (all the tools AND the classs and it will STILL be cheaper).  My budget is 5K.  It's hard to discuss what is inexpensive on these boards because 11K for a wedding is considered cheap to most brides.  I price things out for what I actually consider them worth and I don't put up with people telling me what is cheap "for a wedding".  The Conestoga Country Club was actually my first choice because they are very fexible and very affordable (and they take care of a LOT including decorating).  They do a lot of receptions but they don't really do weddings.  I had asked if I could have mine there and they were willing to accommodate (not exactly an advertized thing that they do).  When I budgeted everything out this place didn't exactly bust my budget per say but anything else (officiant, photos, decorations, dj, flowers, etc.) would have had to be compromised harshly in order to keep it under 5K.  

People give me hell for doing my own cake but in the world of fondant cakes it's not really that hard at all.  I have to give you serious kudos though for doing your own dress.  

I actually chose a different site but I think the CCC is a great place to recommend (if you want to go lower, message me and I'll tell you what I'm doing.  I generally don't recommend what I'm doing just because it's more work than most brides are willing to do for the sake of having a qualitly wedding without spending much.

• cmng2703cmng2703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Supernovagirl,
    I sent you a PM on your last post, thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the Eicher Arts Center in Ephrata. The rental fee is VERY affordable, and includes the space plus a full kitchen. There's the main room plus a balcony, grounds along the creek & park, and a nice size covered deck. They have banquet tables and plates & silverware, the rest is up to you. You bring in your own food, rentals, etc. It's a very rustic space, and pretty much a blank canvas to do what you want with.

In the mean time, enjoy your time in Savannah! I am from Lancaster, but half of my family lives in Sav... haven't made it down in a few years - I'd give my right arm to trade places with you for a week!! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nicknsandynicknsandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are getting married next aug at the yellow barn at landis valley museum! it looks beautiful and very rustic. I can also suggest a caterer that is very reasonable if you like. good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards