Catholic Weddings

Wording for Invite WDYT?

I know I have time to figure this out. I just like seeing what it looks like on paper ;) How do you think this sounds?

The Honour of Your Presence is Requested
at the Nuptial Mass uniting
SR 
and 
Mr. JAT
in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
Saturday, the Twenty Second of October
Two Thousand Eleven 
at Ten O'Clock in the Morning
Catholic Church

Re: Wording for Invite WDYT?

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    many use this, but it technically isnt correct because the Mass does not unite you in marriage.  the Mass is said in honor of the two of you and in celebration of your marriage.

we did:

JLP and PAM request the honour of your presence at their marriage in the sacrament of holy matrimony and the celebration of the nuptial mass.

date, time, place, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    Of course the Eucharist unites the bride and groom....

"In the Latin Rite the celebration of marriage between two Catholic faithful normally takes place during Holy Mass, because of the connection of all the sacraments with the Paschal mystery of Christ. In the Eucharist the memorial of the New Covenant is realized, the New Covenant in which Christ has united himself forever to the Church, his beloved bride for whom he gave himself up. It is therefore fitting that the spouses should seal their consent to give themselves to each other through the offering of their own lives by uniting it to the offering of Christ for his Church made present in the Eucharistic sacrifice, and by receiving the Eucharist so that, communicating in the same Body and the same Blood of Christ, they may form but 'one body' in Christ" (Catechism, #1 621).

• edited December 2011
    And another...

Holy Communion
    Although most policies do not prohibit a Eucharistic liturgy for an ecumenical wedding, it is discouraged because it contradicts the central marital image of unity when one partner receives communion and the other does not.
    edited December 2011
    the Eucharist brings many people together with God.  but my point was that the Mass itself is not what marries you or administers the sacrament.  that is why catholics can be married and still receive their sacrament without Mass being said  if you read the first line of the first excerpt you posted it says the celebration of marriage takes place during the Mass.  the Mass is not the ceremony that marries you.

you could say "at the Nuptial Mass wherein SR and JT will be united in the sacrament of holy matrimony"

but, as i said, many use the wording you suggested or even omit the mention of the Mass altogether (altthough i personally feel it should be on there for several reasons).
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm I see your point. I do want it on there for the reasons that you have mentioned in the past. I think your wording is okay. I don't know why but I really the the bride and groom in the middle somewhat of the invitation. Just a weird thing, I know.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You could still keep your names in the middle - something like this:

The Honour of Your Presence is Requested
    At the Celebration of the Nuptial Mass as
    SR 
    and 
    Mr. JAT
    Are United in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
    Saturday, the Twenty Second of October
    Two Thousand Eleven 
    at Ten O'Clock in the Morning
    Catholic Church
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Riss91, that's great wording.  I like it a lot.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    edited December 2011
    i like that too, Riss.

i used the wording i used as it was teh same as on my mom's invite (although hers was worded so that it was her mom requesting folks' presence at the marriage of her daughter, etc.)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just Please Don't Capitalize Everything Like That...
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do not caps everything.  personally having nuptial mass, honour, sacrament, and noting the church is catholic is just overkill.  but if you must....

The honour of your presence is requested
    at the nuptial mass uniting
    Name One
    and 
    Name Two
    in the sacrament of holy matrimony
    saturday, the twenty second of October
    two thousand eleven 
    ten o'clock in the morning
    Catholic Church, State
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board