Catholic Weddings

How important is a receiving line?

My church will allow either family pictures or a receiving line at the church after our 2:00 wedding because of the 4:00 Mass.  Totally understandable.  I am going to choose family pictures because the Mass is the most important part of the day and there is an entire evening to get pictures at the venue.  My fiance and I were already planning on going table to table at the reception, but weren't planning on doing a formal receiving line there.  Is it a big issue to not have a formal receiving line? 

Thoughts?  Comments?

What did any of you do?

Thanks!

Re: How important is a receiving line?

• we didnt do a formal receiving line and i dont think anyone missed it.

i would do the pictures.  we did all of ours before hand so we didnt get a chance to have posed family photos in the church, and we didnt want to waste time doing them after. 
  • Personally I hate a formal receiving line. It just means you have to stand there and wait forever to get through, and when it's finally your turn, you have to awkwardly stand in front of bridal party and parents of the couple whom you've probably never even met before, and make small talk. while you wait for your turn to greet the B&G. blah.
    Anniversary
  • I agree, no receiving line.  We just greeted each table at the reception instead.  That way we also didn't feel rushed through it.
  • I had the same option regarding pictures vs. receiving line at the church. We opted to take pictures and I have no regrets about that.

Because we did have a the dreaded gap (guests could hang out in a hospitality room at hotel with drinks and snacks if they chose), we were able to be at our reception venue right before guests arrived. Just H and I waited by the front doors and made an effort to greet each guest as they arrived. We considered this to be an informal receiving line (was just H and I no parents or wedding party). We did not do table visits during dinner, but we made an effort to go and visit with everyone once dancing started (yes people moved around and we missed some, but most we had already greeted at the door). I think as long as you make some type an effort to greet and thank each guest a receiving line isn't necessary.
  • As a guest, I hate receiving lines. I find them boring and awkward. As a future bride, it sounds horrifying for mine and FI's personalities. And for his super anti-social, introverted BM who won't know anyone? Yeah, we're just going to do table visits.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with everyone else.  H and I went from table to table greeting our guests while they ate dinner, and that worked out great.  As a guest, I'm not a fan of waiting in line to say hello to the B&G.  I mean, I took the time to get dressed up (prob bought a new dress, too), and came to your wedding, and brought you a gift...you should just say hi to me, and not expect me to stand in line.  I'm not saying receiving lines are rude, but that for me, I just think it's more gracious and appreciative of your guests to go say hello to them, and thank them for coming, rather than expecting them to go stand in line to see you. 

• Yeah, we chose to just go to tables while our guests were finishing up dinner to greet them.  I would definitely do pictures!
    Anniversary

• Thanks ladies!  I feel a lot better about my gut instinct on this now.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought it wasn't a big deal to not have a receiving line. 

I shall direct the moms to this thread if/when they give us a hard time.  ;) 
  • We didn't do one, either, and went the same route as Tami!  We had a small gap (1.5 hr) and got to the reception early to greet everyone at the door as they arrived for the social hour.  Receiving lines were not permitted at our parish.  I do regret not doing the table-to-table thing at the reception because it would have been nice to have some photos with all our guests to remember everyone who came!
  • We only have 30 minutes in the church afterwards, so we're definitely choosing pictures over a receiving line.  I still see them done occassionally, but no one ever praises them.  :/

SaveSave
  • Ha, Kristan, that's so funny you just noticed!  We're getting married at our church, Annunciation.

SaveSave
  • We weren't allowed to do a receiving line per our priest.
  • Same, our church does not allow it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards