Catholic Weddings

Another post had me wondering.....

Do some priests have problems if some of the bridal party members are not Catholic?  Our BM and one of my BM's are not Catholic.  Will this pose a problem at some churches?  I didn't even think that would be an issue. 

Re: Another post had me wondering.....

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't think it is an issue - only our family members in the bridal party are Catholic - which is 3 of the 8 attendants. 

I've heard that at least one person must be Catholic to do the signing, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly doubt that any priest would require ALL BP members to be Catholic. My priest actually had no requirements at all - he said it would be fine even if none of them were Catholic. (The "signing" only involved signing civil documents for us.) But I've heard others say that their priests required the honour attendants or at least some of the attendants to be Catholic. That's why I suggested asking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    half my bridal party is Jewish :)

I was told that they wanted at least one Catholic witness, but in the even that no one in the bridal party was Catholic (or you don't have a bridal party) it could be someone in the audience.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh ok, phew!  Thanks ladies!
  • edited December 2011

Most of my BP is not Catholic either. If it were an issue, we could have his brother & SIL sign or my brother & SIL sign, as they are Catholic. I was worried about it too!

Crosswalk
  • edited December 2011
    no. It onlly becomes a problem if ur MOH or best man is not catholic. They cant sign the catholic marriage certificate (is what I was told).

good luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_another-post-wondering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:774c3a78-49a0-4cab-a085-238b81b7fbd7Post:b8bf9ea1-1daa-4074-9ee7-02b3a56c79f5">Re: Another post had me wondering.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]no. It onlly becomes a problem if ur MOH or best man is not catholic. They cant sign the catholic marriage certificate (is what I was told). good luck
    Posted by Jessynlove[/QUOTE]

Neither my MOH nor BM were Catholic and my priest had no problem with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    It should be okay. You just need one Catholic witness to sign the marriage certificate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards