Catholic Weddings

Tuesday!

Just some WR questions:

What was/will be your first dance song with your husband?

What about father/daughter song (if you did it)?

What was/will be the last dance song?

Or, what was/is a special song for your reception?

First dance was "Would You Go With Me?" by Josh Turner. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFz61X2PQTw)

Father/Daughter was "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQPSoRFdwg)

And last dance was "Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls.  It was played as the last dance song at the end-of-summer dance at the camp where H and I met the second year we were there, and then it became a tradition (that is still going, 12 years later) for all of the "third-years" to stand in a big circle and dance together while it played, so I have these great pictures of H and me and all the friends we've known for half our lives just hugging and dancing and it. was. awesome.

What about you guys?
Anniversary

Re: Tuesday!

• What was/will be your first dance song with your husband?
    Everything by Michael Buble

I Hope You Dance by Leann Womack

Not really choosing one, I guess. 

All I ask Of You -Phantom of the Opera
    "Cinderella" by Stephen Curtis Chapman

We've Only Just begun - The Carpenters

Overall the music flowed perfectly through the night. I was so happy with our DJ!
    Photobucket
  • First dance: "When I Say I Do" by Matthew West

Father/Daughter: "I Loved Her First" by Heartland

Last Dance: "God Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First dance: "This Magic Moment"  The Drifters
    Father/Daughter: "Blessed" Elton John
    Last Dance: YMCA  :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Will be "My True Companion" by Marc Cohn

Will be "Set 'Em Up Joe" by Vern Gosdin.  It's not a typicla father/daughter dance song at all, but it has a special meaning for me and my dad.  He used to play it (back when my parents still listened to records) and I had this goofy dance I used to do to part of the song.  We'll probably skip my old moves :)
    Haven't decided on anything, and I don't know if we'll choose something specifically.  I would kind of like the last dance song to be a slow one (or some kind of country two-step), to make sure I get to end the reception dancing with my new husband, since he's not much of a dancer otherwise

Or, what was/is a special song for your reception?
    My parents' first dance was to "Could I Have This Dance (For The Rest Of My Life)," so I'd like to have that play at some point.
  • Erin, at least in Dallas, the "private" last dance has become a big thing.  While the guests are lining up for your grand exit, the bride and groom have one last slow dance together.  Some of my favorite pics from the night came from that moment.  =)
    Anniversary

• Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Lullaby by Spill Canvas
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENWt5ZZ_-n8)
    This is our song and we went to see them in concert together early in our relationship.

Blessed by Elton John
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIYsjIm3zqU)
    We had the DJ fade it out during the bridge because it was a little long for my taste.
    I see this is the same as Shawna :)

We are Young by Fun
    This went over really well :)

Other special songs.
    We played both our parents first dance songs but didn't make a special announcement or anything. We also had Journey Faithfully on our must play list because we request that at every wedding we attend. Oh and I almost forgot we also had to have a polka played because my family is polish and that is a must for weddings (although no dollar dance for us).

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Our first dance was "Lucky" by Jason Mraz w. Colby Caillat

We did a joint parent dance to "Ain't That Love" by Ray Charles. We invited all father/daughter and mother/son couples to jion us about 30 seconds in. It was really sweet and our photogs got some great shots of a lot of our guests.

Our last song of the night was 'Time of My Life" - the one from Dirty Dancing
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_tuesday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:79c5b7ab-d844-45c0-b887-114bea0a41d0Post:48a03a5f-0b39-4f8a-9b29-d153670afba6">Re: Tuesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Erin, at least in Dallas, the "private" last dance has become a big thing.  While the guests are lining up for your grand exit, the bride and groom have one last slow dance together.  Some of my favorite pics from the night came from that moment.  =)
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Fabulous idea!
  • First dance = ???
    Father/Daughter = ???
    Last Dance = ???
    Special Dance = ???

I guess I have a few things to plan.

One music thing I have planned is that most of my college friends were in a traditional Celtic fiddle group, and they will play a set at the reception after cake cutting.
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • edited July 2012
    What was/will be your first dance song with your husband? Rainy Night in Soho by the Pogues (we both loved the band prior to meeting each other)

What about father/daughter song (if you did it)? Daughter of Mine by John McDermott (lyrics below).  I had two songs picked out for my dad... but he called me a month or two before the wedding and was unbelievably excited b/c he found the "perfect song".  I personally thought it was completely cheesy :)  However, he was SO exciteed and he loved it.  I couldn't say no!   In retrospect, it was the perfect song.   And dancing with him at my wedding & the time spent with him that weekend are some of my last memories of him- as he had a massive stroke 6 wks later & was gone 7 wks later. 

What was/will be the last dance song?  Let My Love Open the Door by Pete Townshend (the Who), but we used the Pearl Jam cover.  (I was completely oblivious to the time-  I was in the bathroom (and was walking out) when this started- and told my sister "what?? this isn't supposed to be played until the very last song!!"  She said "umm, it is the last song. It is 11:55!)

Or, what was/is a special song for your reception? There were a few...

Bridal Party Entrance: Wonderful World- covered by Joey Ramone
    Our Entrance:  Beautiful Day by U2
    Bridal Party Song: Dancing Shoes by the Tossers <-- clicky (we met at one of their shows, and 3/4 of the band were our wedding band).  My 6 nieces & one of my nephews were in the bridal party.  They were paired with people older than them (nieces aged 13-25, guys other than nephew were 29-39)... so... we wanted a fun, fast song, and no one was "partnered up" for the dance.  It was really fun!

Other fun songs:      Seige of Ennis.     <-- clicky - a traditional Irish Set Dance- a bunch of my cousins & friends Irish danced growing up,  and the band actually learned the music off of someones iphone during one of their breaks, played it, and everyone had a blast!!

John Mcdermott - Daughter of Mine Lyrics  <-- clicky made it clicky instead b/c the formatting was out of wack. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Prof - love the idea of a private last dance!  I had just thought about having it be a type of song where we would actually dance together, but I really like private dance/exit set up
  • My family has a cheesy wedding tradition of playing "We are Family" and all the girls in the family dancing in a big group. I made a point of inviting all my my new family to join us. That was my "unity thing" for the night.

Our last dance was supposed to be a group dance. It turned into us dancing alone in the middle of a big circle of all of our friends and family. They all said it was awesome, and had I been in the circle, I would have agreed. Instead, H and I are still mortified when we think about it (or our first dance for that matter). A lot of eyes watching us relive 8th grade is not good for people who generally avoid attention seeking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our first dance will probably be to "Sway" which is now our song because he proposed as it played from the stadium (completely unplanned).

No idea on the others though...might need to start thinking about that.
  • First Dance: Medley of "Set Me As A Seal" by Matt Maher--"More" by Matthew West--"You're The One That I Want" by John Travolta & Oliva Newton-John

Father/Daughter & Mother/Son: "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart.  I'd picked this one out years ago, and both DH's parents are big Rod Stewart fans, so I thought it was a great choice...until my dad told me recently (after the wedding) that he's always disliked Rod Stewart.  Geez, Dad, you could have let me know that ahead of time!

Last Dance (just DH & I):  "When I Say I Do" by Matthew West.  This was a really neat semi-private moment for us.

Other special selections:
    "Don't Blink" by Kenny Chesney for the Anniversary Dance.  My grandparents were dancing the longest at 60 years, and I'm glad I have that special memory and photos, as Grandpa passed away six months later.
    "Now And Forever" by Carole King for my dance with my brother
    "Beautiful Soul" by Jesse McCartney as a private joke with my MOH (when we were roommates, we obsessively watched that music video)
    "My Girl" by The Temptations, which has been a favorite of mine since childhood.  Sadly, the DJ played the last one while we were outside with the photographer :(

I was really specific with our DJ to keep the music selections squeaky clean and provided a list of 100+ songs from which he could pick.  I narrowed the list down with DH so we knew we'd borth like every song played and actually reviewed the lyrics to all those songs to make sure nothing would shock the grandparents, including drinking references that wouldn't have made me blink, because DH's grandparents are opposed to alcohol.  I enjoyed including requests from guests solicited on our wedding website, though I've also heard of including a space for that on the RSVP card (fun!).
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • Love these questions!

We will dance to "I Love" by Tom T Hall. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmPFi5BYlQ)   This is definitely not your typical first dance song, but FH and I wantd something that was original, something that we could call "ours", and something quirky.  It fits us perfectly, and we are keeping it a secret/suprise just to get a few giggles.

instead of a father/daughter dance, we are to have my mother and father, FH and me, and FIL and his wife dance to Sleepwalk by Santo & Johnny. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1st_9KudWB0).  Its my absolute favorite song and FH wanted to include it somehow.

Hm, not sure yet.  Don't have anything set in stone.  From weddings I've previously went to, I prefered more upbeat songs to end the night as opposed to slow ones. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards