Catholic Weddings

lenten survival

now that we are a few weeks in, for those of you who gave something up, how are you doing?

i gave up alcohol and it has been extremely difficult for me.

Re: lenten survival

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking about this on Friday, due to the solemnity.

I have the most horrible time with fasting, and with giving food stuff up. I'm addicted to the bubbles that comes in soda...I actually crave it. The fasting thing is difficult because of the blood sugar issue...my dr. said that fasting won't cause damage, but I'll feel it more than the person with a level blood sugar. So I try --- especially because I noticed that I pray better when I'm feeling the hunger.

but anyway, I was thinking about how there are not only the solemnities of Sundays in there but the 2 extra ones as well. And how they are usually a little more towards the middle of Lent rather than the beginning. And if you think about doing it in chunks... say 6 days at a time to the next Sunday, or less than that if there is a solemnity...how "His yoke is easy and His burden light".  It is just as important to celebrate on those solemnities as it is to fast on the fasting days. St. Theresa of Avila was caught devouring a pheasant/quail by her sisters... she looked up and said "When I fast, I fast, and when I feast, I feast".

I've also thought of changing up my sacrifices....soda one week, tv, the next. It can really put in perspective all of the different stuff we count on so that they are all in the front of the mind.

So I'm gonna try again tomorrow.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i know sundays "dont count" and i just leanred from you about the solemnities, btu somehow i feel like "cheating" if i indulge in my vices on those days even though i know i'm allowed.
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_lenten-survival?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ca5e207-4f57-4115-a559-f6f3ef9dd110Post:75966abf-2a96-4858-a724-511e59947189">Re: lenten survival</a>:
    [QUOTE]i know sundays "dont count" and i just leanred from you about the solemnities, btu somehow i feel like "cheating" if i indulge in my vices on those days even though i know i'm allowed.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]
    I think the key is to limit it--celebrate, but remember its Lent. I've done both extremes, but this year I'm keeping it more in the middle and its going well. So, I gave up sweets for Lent, and on Sundays I let myself have one or maybe 2 (desserts, candy, a cookie, whatever) and nothing chocolate. So Easter will be the first time I'll have chocolate since March 8, but I'm still having a little something special on Sundays and the two solemnities :)

Otherwise... Giving up sweets has gone fine. Something else I'm supposedly fasting from... not so much. And the "something extra" that I'm trying to add in has been probably 2 days out of 3. So, definitely room for improvement!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
    edited December 2011
    Clarification:

Sundays are solemnities.

These are all personal devotions and fasts so we can make up our own rules anyway of course, and the graces we merit only God knows. The sense of accomplishment to go the 40+days without and the stamina needed for that is great too.

• lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i gave up bread and fried foods...It's REALLY hard!
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing ok giving up coffee and chocolate... coffee was surprisingly more difficult than the other!  Especially this morning >_<

I've had a hard time all around focusing this Lent because wedding planning has gotten very chaotic and I'm sure will continue to be so for the remaining 2 months (!!!) Thank goodness I've got a morning retreat this upcoming Saturday, because I sure do need it!  My fiance and I had all these good intentions of trying to pray more together, go to Mass together every weekend, and pray the rosary together... but it just hasn't happened with his school schedule and the hour commute between us!  Hopefully will do better next Lent and will maybe just try to take on these efforts in more earnest after the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow Lisa, that is hard! Good idea though. I gave up sweets, which is not too bad yet, but when it gets warmer and the ice cream cravings start, it gets much more difficult!
    ~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    newly, i did coffee once and it was hard...really hard.  i was in college at the time.
  • lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't do coffee, sweets or alcohol! So good for you guys!! =)
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    @lisa.... I definitely couldn't do both bread or fried foods, either... that would make fish fry fridays rather challenging!!  My sister is doing fried foods this year, too.

@Calypso... no coffee in college?!?  Does not compute!
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking a break, possibly permanently. I need to spend much more time in prayer and I'm trying to get my music ministry ready for Holy Week anyway during Lent.

I'm sure there are several people who are cheering, so I'll just give them what they want. If they want to feel like they are "winning" then so be it. I just don't want to be a part of the junk.  Today, all I had to do was quote scripture (and JPII)  and try to be encouraging and I got shot down.

I pray daily for all marriages to become Holy and witness of Christ's love. I'll be praying for you all. God Bless.
    edited December 2011
    agape, dont let OOT get to you.  that's exactly what she wants.  she tried it with me, and it didnt work.  i guarantee you she is the only one "cheering" over your possible departure from this board.
    edited December 2011
    calypso you're gonna have pm... i have to teach a class right now, but watch for it later.
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Agapecarrie,

I'm usually only a lurker on this board, but let me say that I too always enjoy your posts here.  

If you need to take a break for you.... to de-stress, focus on other things... then I totally support you.  We all need to get off various discussion boards or the internet in general sometimes.  But don't let others make you feel bullied off the board.

Pax

SaveSave
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_lenten-survival?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ca5e207-4f57-4115-a559-f6f3ef9dd110Post:3af1da60-9cab-4e05-b273-0f355723277b">lenten survival</a>:
    [QUOTE]now that we are a few weeks in, for those of you who gave something up, how are you doing? i gave up alcohol and it has been extremely difficult for me.

It's been okay.  I find that I usually get so used to whatever I've given up (or pledged to extra of) that after a few weeks, I've forgotten that it wasn't just a new habit, if that makes sense.  So, no fighting with my mother, and extra Scripture every night (usually read out loud to H) in addition to the usual fasting and abstaining from meat on Fridays, all is well.  I don't believe there'll be a big fight with my mother on the day after Easter or a drop in my bible reading either.  ;)  Last year it took me almost a month to realize that I could eat something other than fish and vegetables on Fridays.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_lenten-survival?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ca5e207-4f57-4115-a559-f6f3ef9dd110Post:1dfb6686-e16a-4eed-b314-09bf052d3a7a">Re: lenten survival</a>:
    [QUOTE] I pray daily for all marriages to become Holy and witness of Christ's love. I'll be praying for you all. God Bless.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Ditto Calypso and monkeysip!  Your input on this forum is invaluable... but getting burnt out is understandable.  I'd spark a lot of heated discussions on facebook by posting on controversial moral issues and discussion often devolved into throwing insults back and forth.  I don't do it as often anymore and have found a lot more peace as a result.  Thank you for your prayers and support of our vocations!
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_lenten-survival?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ca5e207-4f57-4115-a559-f6f3ef9dd110Post:b07595b3-7220-4951-8f8e-30795970f3c3">Re: lenten survival</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to lenten survival : It's been okay.  I find that I usually get so used to whatever I've given up (or pledged to extra of) that after a few weeks, I've forgotten that it wasn't just a new habit, if that makes sense.  So, no fighting with my mother, and extra Scripture every night (usually read out loud to H) in addition to the usual fasting and abstaining from meat on Fridays, all is well.  I don't believe there'll be a big fight with my mother on the day after Easter or a drop in my bible reading either.  ;)  Last year it took me almost a month to realize that I could eat something other than fish and vegetables on Fridays.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. I struggle with this a lot. (not for something like fighting, but like, going right back to eating way too much chocolate after Lent. Its the Easter candy that does it, I think. Last year I dropped off the extra prayer time pretty quickly too :(
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_lenten-survival?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ca5e207-4f57-4115-a559-f6f3ef9dd110Post:f7032801-1b57-489e-b10f-193b632b5d42">Re: lenten survival</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agapecarrie, I'm usually only a lurker on this board, but let me say that I too always enjoy your posts here.   If you need to take a break for you.... to de-stress, focus on other things... then I totally support you.  We all need to get off various discussion boards or the internet in general sometimes.  But don't let others make you feel bullied off the board. Pax
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]
    This!!
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_lenten-survival?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ca5e207-4f57-4115-a559-f6f3ef9dd110Post:957b57a0-3f62-48de-b0f6-dc8cb6c32fc5">Re: lenten survival</a>:
    [QUOTE]agape, dont let OOT get to you.  that's exactly what she wants.  she tried it with me, and it didnt work.  i guarantee you she is the only one "cheering" over your possible departure from this board.

Calypso, I have never tried to get you not to post!  My comments to apage have all been about the Lifeteen subject or an item she's posted that I haven't agreed with.
    I suggest that you take care of your own business before getting involved in other's
  • edited December 2011
    I've done pretty well in what I've given up - snacks/junk food and nagging my sweetie. I slipped a bit on the food thing the first Friday but have been doing pretty well since then, I think. I was doing very well on nagging my FI until Sunday (oddly enough)...then we had a brief spat, but it passed.

The things I planned TO do have been harder - I really wanted to go to Daily Mass twice a week, but my average so far is once a week. I also wanted to say a Rosary every day, but that's been rough, too...maybe 3 out of 5 days? It's odd, because when I do it, I just feel so peaceful, but I end up wanting to listen to the news or the Catholic Channel on my way home from work. I also love going to Daily Mass, but man, it's hard getting out of bed that extra half hour early.

I'm not giving up though!

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I gave up facebook, I feel so out of the loop...but I think it has helped me be more relaxed and less worried about whats going on 24/7.  I mean I am still excited to get it back soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards