Catholic Weddings

Songs for marriage sacrament - not full mass

How many (and where in the timeline) songs will there be for a ceremony involving the sacrament but not a full mass? And can the Our Father be sung even though it's not a full mass?

No, my normal music person is not available (he died at Christmas), I am waiting to see if a friend can do the singing but she doesn't have a lot of experience with planning though we might be able to ask her mom. Oh and I don't know any music people in any of the current 3 churches I switch between- and the place I am getting married does not have a music person.

I am just trying to figure out how many songs we need to select.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Songs for marriage sacrament - not full mass

• We had 4 Prelude songs, song for the seating of the MOB, Processional song for the bridal party and Processional song for me, we sang the Gloria, the Responsorial Psalm, and the Alleluias, the Sign of Peace (which many churches don't do outside of Mass, and the Recessional.  I wanted the Lord's Prayer sung but Father was against it.  I still don't really know why.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Prelude music
    Processional music
    Gathering song (optional)
    Responsorial Psalm
    Gospel Acclamation
    Recessional

Depends on your priest if the our father is sung. I don't know of any well known versions of this that follows the correct wording, and if you aren't having a mass, that probably means you will be having a mixed congregation of some non-Catholics. This is the one thing they can participate in because they will know it, but if you sing it, they won't.
  • http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/order-wedding-outside-mass.htm

Lists the complete order for a wedding outside of mass.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_songs-marriage-sacrament-not-full-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:81cf11dd-762c-429f-bf8f-0295ad303905Post:ba006754-9201-4899-aa66-85fcc454b3ce">Re: Songs for marriage sacrament - not full mass</a>:
    [QUOTE]Prelude music Processional music Gathering song (optional) Responsorial Psalm Gospel Acclamation Recessional Depends on your priest if the our father is sung. I don't know of any well known versions of this that follows the correct wording, and if you aren't having a mass, that probably means you will be having a mixed congregation of some non-Catholics. This is the one thing they can participate in because they will know it, but if you sing it, they won't.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

That makes sense.  And I forgot we did have a Gathering song.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Yes, while our immediate families are Catholic most of our friends are not and our extended family is mixed. That and other personal reasons led us to our decision for the type of service.

I just knew in some instances I've seen songs sung at other various parts of service (around the exchanging of the vows if I remember right). I had looked at the catholic site too.

Thanks, this does help. If my friend does the singing I want to understand what a commitment it is to her if she has to learn songs so I can reasonably compensate her for her time.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards