Catholic Weddings
Options

Possible Mass Gap Solutions

There has been much discussion about wedding schedules and the so-called "Mass gap," the time between the wedding cermony (with or without a formal Liturgy) and the start of the reception due to fact that most Catholic weddings have to be completed for the start of the Saturday Vigil Mass, usually 4 p.m..

In the Northeast and the Midwest, many dioceses have consolidated (merged) parishes in a geographical area. When St.. So-and-So Parish merged with Holy Whatyamacallit Parish to form Our Lady of Suburbia Parish, one of the two churches becomes the principal worship site (I hate that term) and the other becomes the an auxilliary or secondary site. Often the parish will permit the secondary site to be used for later, 5 p.m. or 6 p.m., ceremonies; sometimes the couple with need to provide the priest. The church rental fee may be higher, especially if the couplae and their families belong to other parishes. But, if a bride has her heart set on late afternoon/early evening wedding that is one way to do.

I would also checking with Eastern Rite Catholic Parishes. Often an Eastern Rite (usually Ruthenian or Ukrainian) priests administer two or more parishes, with one of the parishes NOT having a Saturday evening Liturgy. One bride I knew did this and it worked out fabulously. Yes, the church was small and in a less than desireable neighborhood, but the interior of the church was like a jewel box; she joked that she didn't to match her colors to the church, since just about every color of the palette was represented in the church. Again the couple will have to provide their own priest and pay a higher fee, but I think it might be worth it to schedule a 5 p.m., 5:30 p.m. or 6 p.m. ceremony.

I have found that Friday weddings aren't ideal. Yes, you can get price reductions and the ideal church time. However, if the church is in a well traveled area, a wedding scheduled for the height of the rush hour might not be such a good idea. Add inclement weather on a Friday during rush hour and ...

Re: Possible Mass Gap Solutions

• Options
    Changing to the Eastern Rite for marriage is not canonically possibly, for the simple sake of wanting a different time for your wedding.

The correct term is without a "full mass" because a wedding without a mass is still a Liturgy.

• Options
    I am not saying that one ought to become an Eastern Rite Catholic just to have a wedding ceremony. I am  just  saiying that one might want to use an Eastern Rite church was the site for a wedding.
  • Options
    I am not saying that one ought to become an Eastern Rite Catholic just to have a wedding ceremony. I am  just  saiying that one might want to use an Eastern Rite church was the site for a wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_possible-mass-gap-solutions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:94f32e91-e306-4f47-8d88-c6eb1ed5b3e9Post:c513f82c-4195-4ae2-bf66-7812efe647ed">Re: Possible Mass Gap Solutions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not saying that one ought to become an Eastern Rite Catholic just to have a wedding ceremony. I am  just  saiying that one might want to use an Eastern Rite church was the site for a wedding.
    Posted by MizLizz[/QUOTE]

<div>And I am saying that isn't possible canonically</div>
  • Options
    Then, some marriages that I have attended must not be valid ... bui I don't think so
  • Options
    Then, some marriages that I have attended must not be valid ... bui I don't think so
  • Options
    here's an idea - have a morning wedding.

weddings do not have to be at night, or is the gap a "mass" or "catholic" problem.  its a bride problem.

the gap exists, more often than not, because teh bride insists on either an evening wedding and/or a particular reception venue that cant start a reception after the ceremony.
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possible Mass Gap Solutions : And I am saying that isn't possible canonically
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]<div>Actually, with the permission of the bishop, it is entirely possible. (ETA: or possibly permission of the Holy See. It depends if the wedding itself is in the Latin or Eastern rite.)</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_possible-mass-gap-solutions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:94f32e91-e306-4f47-8d88-c6eb1ed5b3e9Post:1a9caf41-4cec-4db0-a758-3453d9c0a67c">Re: Possible Mass Gap Solutions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, with the permission of the bishop, it is entirely possible. (ETA: or possibly permission of the Holy See. It depends if the wedding itself is in the Latin or Eastern rite.)
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

<div>The way I read it, The OP was suggesting that 2 Latin/Roman rite catholics bring a Latin rite priest over to an Eastern rite church to use the building simply for the purpose of wanting a desired time for their wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>This won't happen, and in my opinion is quite an offensive suggestion.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    I agree with Carrie. And you simultaneously insulted our churches ie small and in a bad neighborhood and suggested to use them only for their esthetics.
  • Options
    Yeah... this really is a lot of bad advice.  We all know that gaps happen.  They are not the fault of the church.  You either deal with it or you have an earlier reception.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards