Catholic Weddings
Options

How long does a Catholic ceremony last? (Outside of Mass one with no communion)

I am trying to plan out the timing for the reception/DJ to begin, which is about 15 minutes away from the church and whether I want our ceremony to begin at 5:30 or 6pm, but I actually have no idea how long the ceremony will be. I have only been to whole mass weddings (my FI's family is not very religious so we dont want half the guests feeling uncomfortable). Also, we are not doing a unity candle or anything and will have a receiving with about 160 guests.  

Any advice you have would be helpful! Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How long does a Catholic ceremony last? (Outside of Mass one with no communion)

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    id plan for 45-60 minutes.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It will vary based on the length of your readings, music selections, processionals, etc. I think the shortest I've seen is 30 min, but on average I'd figure 45 min for a cereomny without communion, plus add on for the receiving line about 20 min.
  • Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on how much music you have and how big your bridal party is, an hour seems like enough for the ceremony and receiving line.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I will definitely go with a 5:30 ceremony..the reception begins technically at 6:30 but I will have the DJ begin at 7pm :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm asking out of genuine curiousity, but are you really able to have a 5:30 wedding?!!? That's awesome if you are. Most of us are locked into certain times by our parishes to accommodate mass, confession, and regular church business.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_long-catholic-ceremony-last-outside-of-mass-one-communion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:979691ee-ceda-472e-a582-b704d14ceffcPost:06141557-9f57-4bb9-af1e-eec0586de82d">Re: How long does a Catholic ceremony last? (Outside of Mass one with no communion)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm asking out of genuine curiousity, but are you really able to have a 5:30 wedding?!!? That's awesome if you are. Most of us are locked into certain times by our parishes to accommodate mass, confession, and regular church business.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's the set time. 5:30 or 6pm, our choice. Maybe our parish is different... On Saturdays there is a morning mass, 3-4pm confession time, and 4pm mass, with nothing else for the night. They do not do weddings on Fridays or Sundays (obviously) so the only time they offer for weddings is 5:30 or 6. Maybe other parishes are different...this is the one my FI and I attend so we werent looking into anywhere else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jazzybaccjazzybacc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That would be nice to have that time available for us.  The only time we're allowed is 2PM and our reception can't start til 5:30.  It'll be nice because we'll have time for picture opportunities but our guests will have to entertain themselves.. :-/
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ya, I went to a 2pm wedding ceremony and the reception didnt start until like 6pm but most people stayed in a hotel so it wasnt a big deal because we just went to the hotel, checked in and relaxed for a bit. They served like appetizers and stuff at 5pm in this common room if people were hungry which was really nice so we didnt have to wait so long to eat.

I definitely am a fan of the evening ceremony though, I guess I lucked out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony was scheduled for 5:00 (with mass), cocktail hour from 6:30 to 7:30 and dinner at 7:30. The reception site was also about 10-15 minutes away from the church.

Between starting 10 minutes late due to the previous wedding running late, subsequently ending 10 minutes late, people mingling outside the church, traffic between the church and reception, minor confusion getting parking, and general dilly-dallying, we still started dinner a wee bit late. We didn't even have a receiving line.

So yeah... don't underestimate how long people can mingle and dawdle!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ring pop! That makes me happy to hear. I was worried about people getting to the reception too and the DJ not being..this should work out perfectly.:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, helpful info for me as well!!! I had the same panic, that poeple would rush over to the reception venue and nothing would be set up! But I think between mingling, hugging, pictures it will take longer than I think. Thanks for asking this! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards