Catholic Weddings

Incorporating Catholicism in Non-Catholic ceremony

I am Catholic but we're having a non-catholic ceremony. My fiance is not catholic and is divorced with two kids. I would like to incorporate catholicism is some way in the ceremony because it is important to me.  Any suggestions?  I'd thought someone could sing Ave Maria and perhaps doing some readings.

I saw on the ceremony board that some people are walking down the aisle to Ave Maria. How common is that? I've never been to a catholic wedding where someone did that before.

Re: Incorporating Catholicism in Non-Catholic ceremony

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

my husband and i walked to the altar together to Ave Maria.

curious as to why you are marrying outside of the church if catholicism is important to you.

• cececiscocececisco member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I thought that was clear from my post. My fiance is not catholic, divorced and has two children from his previous marriage. Also, he is not converting to Catholicism and we're getting married outside. For all these reasons, we're not getting married in a Catholic church. Still, my religion is important enough to me that I would like it reflected in the ceremony in some way.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

well, there are folks who find ways to still marry in teh Church even with situations as yours.  i hope you've explored all of the options.  you can't get around the outdoor wedding aspect, but the others may be workable.  but, if you are ok with your marriage not being recognized by teh Church, then proceed as planned.  just wanted you to know that there are options, and marrying someone non-catholic or even divorced does not necessarily preclude you from marrying in the Church.

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You could also look up a typical Catholic Nuptial Mass and just pull as much out of it as you want. You could have similar vows, readings, etc.

I'm sure you can google it and find the text/program. Good Luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Riss91! Your post was really helpful and just the type of suggestions I would looking for.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Follow all of the rituals of Catholic Mass.  In fact, you could find a retired preist who may be willing to do a mass and just let him know you understand the marriage won't be recognized by the Catholic Church.  If not a preist, then choose a Lutheran minister who can give you communion but cannot perform transubstantiation.  It will still feel like a mass.  You could have a statue of Mary and give flowers to her for a Marian devotion. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Theresa626. Those are great constructive suggestions and I feel encouraged.
  • edited December 2011
    Even if it's not done by a priest, you can structure your ceremony to closely mirror a Catholic Mass... first reading, secnd reading, Gospel, responsorial psalm, Alelulia, saying of the Our Father, handshake of peace, etc... just without communion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards