Catholic Weddings

Catholic wedding music question

FI and I are having a full Catholic wedding mass with Communion and everything.  The last time I went to a full wedding mass was when i was 10, since the people in my family/friends have generally married non-Catholics.

We're importing a choir from a neighboring parish, since our parish doesn't really have a choir.  They've asked me to provide a list of songs I'd like them to sing for the ceremony, and I'm really not sure how many songs we need, since I don't have experiance attending full nuptial masses.

We'll be using classical music (ok'd by our priest) for the prelude and processional.  I know we need music for the Eucharist and the Presentation of the Gifts and the recessional.  What else do we need music for?

Photobucket
Maureen & Jonathan - 10.09.10
image 261 Invited so far! image 124 Are ready to party!
image 108 Will be missing out image 29 Are MIA image

Re: Catholic wedding music question

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Processional
    Psalm
    Gospel Acclamation (alleluia)
    Offertory (preparation of the gifts)
    Holy, memorial acclamation, amen, lamb of God (can be one set such as mass of creation)

Communion song or 2
    Recessional.

You may want a marian song for the marian devotion if you add that.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto above, except...

Processional and Recessional can be (and for a wedding, usually are) instrumental.
    Psalm can be read.
    Gospel Acclamation and Mass parts (Holy holy, memorial acclamation, Amen, Lamb of God) can be spoken

So at the bare minimum, the choir should sing an offertory and communion song. I'd recommend a sung Psalm too. For the gospel acclamation and mass parts, the choir probably knows a few standard sets.

Finally, where I live, religious weddings also include a civil part during which the civil marriage documents are signed, and usually there is music performed during this as well. It can be instrumental or sung.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto, you can find a program in my bio.  I think the only song that I don't have listed in it is the song that was sung during the devotional to Mary.  They sang "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman."
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If following the rubrics, the psalm and mass parts should be sung, especially if there is music in other places.
  • edited December 2011
    catholicweddinghelp.com will be a big help to you
  • Maureen LMaureen L member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your help!  The mass parts and Psalm are always sung in our parish. :)
    Photobucket
    Maureen & Jonathan - 10.09.10
    image 261 Invited so far! image 124 Are ready to party!
    image 108 Will be missing out image 29 Are MIA image
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also doing a full wedding mass, but we are only using a cantor not a full choir.  Our parish music director and parish wedding coordinator where a great help with the music.  Here are the parts we have (mostly instrumental pieces):Prelude (all instrumental)Seating of the mothers (instrumental)Solo (Ave Maria)Procession of Wedding party (instrumental)Procession of bride (instrumental)Gospel Acclamation PsalmPresentation of gifts (instrumental)Holy, HolyMemorial AcclamationCommunion (we choose to do an instrumental piece because our communion will be short only about 15 people)Communion Meditation (Solo)Recessional (instrumental)
    Some people also have a devotion to Mary.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards