Catholic Weddings
Options

New poll: hosiery

So my dress is quite heavy, but I don't really want to wear my shoes without socks (though they have peep toes which would look really neat with the right nail polish). So I'm wondering...Did you wear hose with your dress? Knee highs? I'm also toying with the idea of cute little anklets.

Linda
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: New poll: hosiery

• Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Negatory. I did not want to be any hotter than I thought I might already be. Although I did wear shorts under my dress cause I feel weird wearing dresses/skirts without anything underneath. I blame that tendency on 12 years of easily windblown Catholic uniform skirts, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had bought a pair of thigh highs, and somewhere along the way, they got a huge run in them.  I didn't have a backup pair of thigh highs, so I had to use my backup pair of regular pantyhose.

I didn't want to do pantyhose because i thought it'd be a pain to hike up my dress and pull off stockings to use the restroom.

I wouldn't use knee highs if you're doing a garter toss.  Go with thigh highs or anklets.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of no hosiery cuz of the peep toes :) Wear a pretty color of toenail polish (maybe even ahve it match your BM dresses?).. that would look cool!
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_new-poll-hosiery-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b0cd322a-70e9-4371-889e-817736b3412ePost:d87b45c8-1cbc-4256-9152-08feb0fa7884">Re: New poll: hosiery</a>:
    [QUOTE]Negatory. I did not want to be any hotter than I thought I might already be. [/QUOTE]
    This.

[QUOTE]Although I did wear shorts under my dress cause I feel weird wearing dresses/skirts without anything underneath. I blame that tendency on 12 years of easily windblown Catholic uniform skirts, lol.
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]
    I didn't wear shorts under mine, but I'm totally with you... I'm wearing a skirt with shorts underneath right now lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hose with open toe shoes makes the Baby Jesus cry.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely no hose. It was hot and humid (well, at least by Arizona's definition of humid)

I agree that hose with peep toes is not the best. Treat yourself to a pedicure and pretty nail polish the week before (the relaxation will be a necessity by then!).

@ the ladies who like shorts under skirts -- that's what boy shorts style underwear are for (at least in my world). ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely not. I also had peep toe pumps. Hose were not necessary and would have only made me hotter and increased my chances of my feet sweating and then me falling on my butt during the ceremony or reception.
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married in November, so any other layer I could put on to keep me warm was helpful. I bought vintage silk thigh highs with the seam because I thought it would look cute with my shorter dress. I didn't realize before that you actually have to measure your leg length and feet for them. It didn't even cross my mind that thigh highs weren't stretchy back then.

Anyway, my shoes were peep toe too. But the opening was less than an inch wide. My toes didn't show through really, so I don't think the baby Jesus cried over my footwear. But if you have more of an open toe and since it's summer, I would go without.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ick.  No hose.  I got a pedicure and wore strappy shoes under that heavy gown.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I definitely don't want to make the baby Jesus cry, so I'm thinking no hose, but I'll have to find some way to put something on the shoes so my feet don't stick to them too much! They're beautiful...I'll have to post a picture. My FI says I'm thinking about silly little things, but after the week at work, I'm more than happy to do that!

I only have one attendant, my Matron on Honor, and her dress is burgundy! I'm thinking a baby doll pink for my toes, since that's what the nail polish I'll have.

Oh my goodness, was anyone else this excited when it was still two months away? Can't imagine what I'll be like the week before the wedding!

Linda
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @Mica - No doubt!
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    none for me! (my dress is long, and I would like it if people see my toes!)

have you seen those little sock thingys that are even smaller than anklets? They're meant to be worn with dress shoes, but you can't see them at all when you wear shoes with them. I think I've bought them at like department-store type places.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    "Hose with open toe shoes makes the Baby Jesus cry."

LOL-- so true.

I don't plan on wearing hose.  I never wear hose.  The only time I ever wore them is when I did speech/debate in highschool and our coach required the ladies to wear skirts/dresses and pantyhose.  I had to buy a new pair for every tournament because I always, never fail, got a run in them.  Yuck... bare, shaven, moisturized legs and pedicured feet for me!

Although the shorts idea is a good idea.  Good shapewear-type shorts.

SaveSave
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_new-poll-hosiery-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b0cd322a-70e9-4371-889e-817736b3412ePost:2ea18eb4-238a-4dc2-8098-bf2536ea7593">Re: New poll: hosiery</a>:
    [QUOTE]" Hose with open toe shoes makes the Baby Jesus cry." LOL-- so true. I don't plan on wearing hose.  I never wear hose.  The only time I ever wore them is when I did speech/debate in highschool and our coach required the ladies to wear skirts/dresses and pantyhose.  I had to buy a new pair for every tournament because I always, never fail, got a run in them.  Yuck... bare, shaven, moisturized legs and pedicured feet for me! Although the shorts idea is a good idea.  Good shapewear-type shorts.
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

I'm really a horrible person because I look at women on the street or on the bus around the city and wonder why no one told them about hose and open toes. And, yes, I judge in those cases.

In the cold weather I wear dark tights or thigh highs.  I can't stand pantyhose.  I can barely stand to type the word.  M told me that the words most women hate are "panties" and "moist".   I get it
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i got married in february with close toed shoes and did not wear nylons.  i went bare legged.   if it were summer and i had open toe shoes or sandals, i defintiely wouldnt have worn nylons.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_new-poll-hosiery-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b0cd322a-70e9-4371-889e-817736b3412ePost:d87b45c8-1cbc-4256-9152-08feb0fa7884">Re: New poll: hosiery</a>:
    [QUOTE]Negatory. I did not want to be any hotter than I thought I might already be. Although I did wear shorts under my dress cause I feel weird wearing dresses/skirts without anything underneath. I blame that tendency on 12 years of easily windblown Catholic uniform skirts, lol.
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same!  I found a slip that are really shorts :)  
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't wear any. I had open toes shoes and a June wedding. I hate stockings to begin with so there was no way I was wearing them on my big day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards