July 2012 Weddings

15 Ways to Stay Married for 15 Years

This was posted on my local board and it was an interesting read... thought I'd share it with you guys

15 Ways to Stay Married for 15 Years

I liked the last one the best. 

I don't totally agree with #9... neither FI or myself would ever move around the country just for the hell of it and it wouldn't do anything to improve our relationship.  Vacations however, YES.
Follow Me on Pinterest
Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: 15 Ways to Stay Married for 15 Years

• Aww I love stuff like that, just forwarded it to my FI. 

I like all of them but #13. So not true in my case, she always just defends him. My FI was frustrated at me about something while his mom was staying with us last week and I didn't like the way he was talking to me in front of his mom and brother. So I was like, "Does anyone else think FI could talk to me nicer right now?" and his mom said, "Yeah but that's just the way he is." Oh geez, thanks. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lol I just read this too.  I like #1 go to bed mad sometimes it's just better to sleep on things and you realize in the morning the fight was dumb.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Love this!

I think #1 is fantastic along with #6

And actually FI Step-mom gave me the advice of #13 and said that her MIL gave it to her as well.  You dont want your own mom to EVER think badly of your FI and his mother will always love him no matter what so it actually is very good advice!
  • I love this! totally just sent it to my fiance, too.

Fiance's mom would think I was CRAZY if I did too much complaining about him to her.  I joke with her about silly stuff, but if I took a serious complaint to her, she would think I was nuts.  And I agree with k8888 - no moving across the country just for fun for us, thanks, but the traveling stuff? totally true.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_15-ways-to-stay-married-for-15-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:990667b7-e7ff-4a1d-9926-11f74ae58782Post:48093bff-b031-4cdb-82d8-24a290ba3de6">Re: 15 Ways to Stay Married for 15 Years</a>:
    [QUOTE]Love this! I think #1 is fantastic along with #6 And actually FI Step-mom gave me the advice of #13 and said that her MIL gave it to her as well.  <strong>You dont want your own mom to EVER think badly of your FI</strong> and his mother will always love him no matter what so it actually is very good advice!
    Posted by colleenm18[/QUOTE]

<div>That part is very true. I just feel like my FMIL defends him every time I complain and in that moment that is the last thing I want to hear.</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • FMIL and I like to gang up on FI when we tease him but I don't think she would ever let me SERIOUSLY bitch about him... she's a typical Italian mama and he's totally a mama's boy.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_15-ways-to-stay-married-for-15-years?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:990667b7-e7ff-4a1d-9926-11f74ae58782Post:6baf2dc1-7e4e-4054-aea2-d208021edc51">Re: 15 Ways to Stay Married for 15 Years</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 15 Ways to Stay Married for 15 Years : That part is very true. I just feel like my <strong>FMIL defends him every time I complain and in that moment that is the last thing I want to hear.</strong>
    Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

OH I agree..I feel like this is something that comes with time and years being married.
  • I forwarded to my fiance too. I want to highlight for him #3 . . . lol. He's such a lawyer. I do the same to him, though, so it's equal criticism on both of our parts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love it! I'm sending it to FI, as well. 

I actually really like the FMIL one, but obviously it totally depends on the type of person she is and the relationship you have. I kind of think there's an added element to this one. If what you want to vent about isn't something you're comfortable telling FMIL, it might not be something you should be telling your mom. Does that make sense?

I agree that FI and I won't be moving around just for the hell of it, and I have always known I will NOT live out of country (my parents moved from South Africa to Canada when I was a toddler, I saw how hard the distance from their family was and I don't want that for myself and my kids). But I think the same benefits can be had from travelling, which we absolutely plan to do!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Rebis, I meant to say this before, and this is totally off-subject, but the cat in your signature is adorable. And I'm not even (really) a cat person!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't like #1.

I can't sleep when we're pissed at eachother - and I hate leaving things undone for the next day. -_- Just get it over with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just read this. I love it. All good advice! And I actually agree with #9, but I'm the type of person that tends to get bored easy and needs a change of pace. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards