Catholic Weddings
Options

NWR: Choosing a parish question (long, sorry)

Ok, so this has been bothering me for a while and I need some advice.  

I gotta give you the background and details first, so bear with me.

FI and I converted to Catholicism and were confirmed in a parish really close to us a little over 2 years ago.  This parish (let's call it parish #1) was in a convenient location, we liked the priest a lot, and the music and stuff seemed okay.

Well, for a long time now we feel less and less comfortable there.  The music has becoming increasingly modern to us (and I'm not starting some debate over whether modern music is okay... I'm not saying it's "wrong", but it's just not us and we're very distracted by it).  The priest we liked left, and the new priest is unreliable and a little rude (he always cuts me off during confession before I'm finished confessing... and trust me, I confess all my sins in like 45 seconds at the most.  He gives me 15 seconds before he absolves me and gives me no counsel).  I'm not saying we hate the church or that it's terrible, but we just feel sometimes like it's not very reverent and it doesn't help us grow.

Ok... so... we've been trying to decide on another parish.  There's another parish (parish #2) real close to FI (we don't live together).  FI likes it, but doesn't necessarily love it.  The priests are nice and helpful.  The music is slightly more traditional, but still on the contemporary side.

BUT FI and I are really in love with a church downtown (parish #3).  It is very traditional, has altar rails and the eucharist is distributed by the priest using intinction.  We think the priest is very committed and gives good homilies. It feels more "us" so to speak, and it is where we want to get married, but the parish is about 45 minutes away.

I'm already a member at parish #1 because I signed up during RCIA, but FI never did just because he's lazy and forgot.  But we're both a point where we want to really commit to a parish and support it with not just our money but our time.  So really, we have three options.

1.  We becomes members at parish #2 and just make occasional visits to parish #3.  The benefit is that it is closer and easier to volunteer at.  The downside is that it's not necessarily our favorite.

2.  We become members at parish #3 and just make occasional visits to parish #2 if we can't make the long drive.  We find a way to volunteer for the church that is doable (like maybe a once a month activity).  Parish #3 is a very small parish, so maybe it would help them to have more committed members.  But we wouldn't be able to commit as much as we would with a close parish.

3.  FI becomes a member at parish #2 and I become a member at parish #3.  We split our time and money between both.  I'm thinking this isn't really a good option at all and that a soon-to-be-married couple should belong to the same one.

FI seems somewhat ambivalent.  He really loves parish #3 like I do, but I think it doesn't make a huge difference to him.

Sorry this is so long.  Any advice?  Any factors I'm not considering?  How did you choose your parish?

SaveSave

Re: NWR: Choosing a parish question (long, sorry)

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, keep in mind priest's get moved, so don't choose one only for that.
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of becoming members of parish 3 and just do 2 when you are on a time crunch.  I know it is a long drive, but nothing is more imporant than feeling like you are being spiritualy satisfied, and ifyou don't think 2 will do it for you, I'd do 3 (ESPECIALLY if you want to get married there)
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I certainly don't see anything wrong with "church shopping" if you're not fully satisfied with the one you have been attending.

I think if you live in a small town, you probably have less choice.  I can go to any one of half a dozen churches and don't even need a taxi to do it.  I'm very happy with my church now but it did take some time to find it.

Sometimes, I feel like going to St. Patrick's cathedral but a good deal of the time it's just too impersonal for me.

You live in Houston, right?  There must be more than 3 Catholic churches than just three.  Find one you're both comfortable with before you actually join the parish.
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    While I don't agree with the principal of "church shopping," I think that it is unfortunately necessary in our current "Catholic society," since many churches are sooo different, and (I would say!) so many of them are so far from teaching the fullness of Truth.

Also, I know from personal experience that many of these smaller, beautiful, downtown parishes are going to be able to stay alive precisely from people going to them to get away from much of the sillyness that occurs in so many suburban parishes. It's how you "vote" for what *sort* of parish should be supported!

I totally vote go to church #3!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Well, certainly Houston has dozens of parishes.  But I live in the Woodlands, which has 1000 protestant churches and 2 catholic ones.  And FI lives in Spring (right under the Woodlands), and it has a total of 2 catholic churches as well.  So, within 30 minutes of us is 4 churches, and they're all about the same really.  I mean, some are slightly better than others, but not big differences.  

I figure if I'm willing to drive more than 30 minutes, then I'm willing to drive 45 minutes.  That's why the choice is really just between the 4 local and the one downtown.

As for the priest at church #3, he's up in age so I don't think he'll be transfered again.  Of course, that also means that he may not have that many more years left on this earth (only God knows).  Who knows who would replace him... but the parishioners there seem to be really involved and I think they would at least try hard to make sure the parish still kept most of its practices.

I'm kinda uneasy with the idea of "church shopping," but I do feel that if I belonged to a parish I felt really comfortable at that I'd be more likely to want to participate in things.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You go where you're comfortable.  FI and I have been looking at houses in an area where there is only one Catholic church.  We've been there and we don't love it, so we're fairly certain we'll be driving into Dallas to keep going to the parish where we're going to get married if we buy a house out there.
    Anniversary

• Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would go what with which Church feels right (amusing coming from a scientist, right?).  But seriously, that's how I chose my current Parish when I was Church shopping.  That "feeling" that you're supposed to get when you're wedding dress shopping and find the one?  Yeah, that didn't happen for me when I was dress shopping, but it did happen when I was Church shopping.  I was almost in tears five minutes into the mass the first time I went, lol.  Church is about feeding your soul - so don't overanalyze!  Just listen for the signs - they will be there :).

BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We travel about 40 minutes to go to our parish for the same reasons you've mentioned. We do, on occasion, attend a more local parish if we have a scheduling conflict. But we feel it is extremely worth the extra time effort to attend our parish.

I would pick option #2. You want to be a member and support the Church you feel most exemplifies what you feel the faith is about.
  • Options
    zelis42zelis42 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Going to the right church is extremely important.  If you're not comfortable in a parish, don't attend mass there.

If #3 feels like it's your spiritual home and will help you grow the most in your faith (and you don't mind the drive), then attend that parish.  Get involved, meet the other parishoners.  You can always volunteer to help make flyers or assemble newsletters from home.  Or volunteer to be a eucheristic minister, since you'll be at mass anyway.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were going to church about 5 minutes away, but after going there more and more it started to really bother me.  The music was modern, and distracting.  The big screen tvs really distracted me.  People were sitting on the floor rather than in chairs (they didn't have pews, either).  And you had to kneel on the floor which really hurt after a while.

We "church shopped."  We checked out one that was way more traditional.  The music was less modern, and it wasn't on stage in front of the church.  They also had pews and kneelers, and a school attached in case we decide to send LO's to catholic school.  It just felt more like home, so we went there instead.  This church takes about 30 minutes to get to.

I think you need to go where it feels right.  I'd personally drive the 45 minutes.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011
    I'd also recommend going with parish #3 until you encounter a significant life change like having a child!  Then you could maybe re-evaluate if you'd consider joining parish #2 that is nearby and in your local community if you'd like your children to grow up knowing other children at church with whom they also attend school.  However, if at this point parish #3 has become a significant part of your life and community, you may find it feasible to continue attending even as your famiy grows and life becomes busier.   

I'm still a member at the parish that we were married at and had joined right after college when I started getting involved in the young adults group there.  I love everything about it except that I've progressively moved further and further away from it  (we're now 30 mins away) and my husband and I won't really be able to put down roots until he's done with school and has a permanent job! 

I can relate to feeling a bit like a parish nomad right now because I also am not as thrilled with the parishes near to our new apartment deep in suburbia!  Once we settle down somewhere, we'll probably gravitate to a parish that is most edifying for us, has a good group of parishioners in the same demographic that we could see ourselves befriending and raising our family within that context... I don't want to parish hop like my parents did!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-choosing-parish-question-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c7010-490a-4126-9c55-57bb0837c95cPost:29e9a9ea-5e4d-4fe4-9ee3-2eda23c5c799">Re: NWR: Choosing a parish question (long, sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE] The big screen tvs really distracted me.  People were sitting on the floor rather than in chairs (they didn't have pews, either).  And you had to kneel on the floor which really hurt after a while. We "church shopped."  We checked out one that was way more traditional.  The music was less modern, and it wasn't on stage in front of the church. Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

Saywhatnow?  That sounds more like a nondenominational Christian mega-church than a Catholic one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice, ladies.  Really, I'm probably overthinking it and I should just join the one I feel the most connection to.  And like pps said, I can always change if a big life change (like children) draws me to go to another parish.

Do I call the parish I'm currently a member at and tell them I no longer want to be registered there?  Is there a really nice way to do that?  

SaveSave
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-choosing-parish-question-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c7010-490a-4126-9c55-57bb0837c95cPost:dadb9df6-edf6-4339-a825-222c51abb57e">Re: NWR: Choosing a parish question (long, sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Choosing a parish question (long, sorry) : Saywhatnow?  That sounds more like a nondenominational Christian mega-church than a Catholic one.
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

Uh huh.  I know.  I was so confused.  It was called "St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Roman Catholic Church" and it had traditional components of the Eucharist and stuff, so technically it was... but it felt sooo weird. LOL

We did our marriage prep there and as soon as we got married we switched.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we choose to drive 1/2 hour to our church.  its worth it because if offers the type of environment we want.  the downside is we cant really be involved, and we dont make it every sunday like we should.  we have church shopped in our area and cant find one we like, even for filler on teh weeks we dont get to our church. so, we go as often as we can and as often as work allows.  it bothers us we dont fulfill our sunday obligation, but at the same time, we dont want to go somewhere that doesnt leave us fulfilled either (or in some cases where we feel the teachings of a particular priest are erroneous).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    " it bothers us we dont fulfill our sunday obligation, but at the same time, we dont want to go somewhere that doesnt leave us fulfilled either (or in some cases where we feel the teachings of a particular priest are erroneous)."

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that you don't always fulfill your sunday obligation because you just can't always make it to any church or that you'd rather miss your sunday obligation than go to a church that is unfulfilling?  Seems like it would be better to go to any catholic church (assuming that it is in fact a catholic church in communion with the bishop) than no church at all.

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    monkeysip--my in laws attend one of the two parishes in Spring, TX (the one on the road with all the other churches in the area!). There are so many things about that particular parish that drive me nuts!
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Seems like it would be better to go to any catholic church (assuming that it is in fact a catholic church in communion with the bishop) than no church at all.

that's my mom's take on it too.  while i know the sacraments are valid, even if a priest is not a good priest, it just bothers me too much to sit in some parishes where they are saying things from the pulpit that just arent catholic.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-choosing-parish-question-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c7010-490a-4126-9c55-57bb0837c95cPost:612e6510-3e44-49ba-899e-dae618c38f45">Re: NWR: Choosing a parish question (long, sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Seems like it would be better to go to any catholic church (assuming that it is in fact a catholic church in communion with the bishop) than no church at all. that's my mom's take on it too.  while i know the sacraments are valid, even if a priest is not a good priest, it just bothers me too much to sit in some parishes where they are saying things from the pulpit that just arent catholic.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I'm with Calypso on this one.  My mom HAS to go to Church every Sunday.  If I can't go to my own Parish for some reason, I typically don't go.  Usually when I end up going to a random place, something just isn't right about something......  typically it's the priest's disposition that bothers me if anything and I end up walking out of Church annoyed.  Seems counterproductive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I'm not trying to sound judgmental.  I totally get why you wouldn't want to go to a church that makes you feel uncomfortable.  But at the same time, the obligation to go to mass is still there even if you don't like the parish, and so it's still a sin of grave matter to miss mass for that reason.

Even if the priest says something heretical or offensive, even if the liturgy is full of abuses, it's still the mass.  It's still the eucharist.  Jesus is still there.  And as Catholics, we're supposed to show obedience to our priests and bishops and still go to mass.  Not just because it's a sin not to, but because we need that grace to get through the week!  

Sorry, that's my take.

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     The mass is the portal where the veil between time/space/heaven/earth is lifted and we are transported back to the last supper, crucifixion and Resurrection all at once.  The most important part for us at mass is the offering of ourselves...the gift we make of ourselves in the offertory. Then the infinite graces we receive from becoming one with Christ in the Eucharist... He's sharing his divine life with us... the consumation of the marriage of Christ with His church. --- angels would give up their permanent status of angel to receive Him like this just once.

We are all pieces of the puzzle...and when we miss mass, we have not only let down God, but let down the other 1 billion people in the church.

It's a mortal sin to miss our Sunday obligation. How we feel when we leave is irrelevant. I'm all for trying to find a parish that is fitting but challenging, and orthodox teaching and obedient mass, but as long as the consecration is there with valid form and matter...that's what matters regarding our obligation.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am fully aware of what the official law is.  But this is one of like, 3 matters that I disagree with the church on, and none of them have anything to do with our profession of faith.  And if I end up rotting in hell for it even though I probably only miss like 4 weeks of Church throughout the year, then it's my own d@mn fault.  So don't lecture me like I'm a child.  Thanks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is you taking it personally, it was not meant that way.

I repeated almost word for word what the priest said at a funeral I played yesterday, explaining the reason for funerals in the context of a mass. It was an explanation....to adults, who might not understand fully. I was giving everyone the benefit of the doubt that they might not know it. No lecture. Simply explanation. Most catholics don't know that missing mass is a serious sin.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry if I was lecturing you, Docta (or Calypso if you're reading).  As long as you recognize that it's against church teaching, then I'm not here to judge you on which teachings you follow and which you don't.  I accept all of the church's teachings, but I fall short of them on a daily basis.  But thank God for confession.

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-choosing-parish-question-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c7010-490a-4126-9c55-57bb0837c95cPost:57fa0dba-ff78-446c-8db6-d44e28f2490e">Re: NWR: Choosing a parish question (long, sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am fully aware of what the official law is.  But this is one of like, 3 matters that I disagree with the church on, and none of them have anything to do with our profession of faith.  And if I end up rotting in hell for it even though I probably only miss like 4 weeks of Church throughout the year, then it's my own d@mn fault.  So don't lecture me like I'm a child.  Thanks.
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

I'm 100% with you on this one Docta.  I have left the church a few times because something was said/done that simply infuritated me.  I think that God would rather that I cool down and think out the problem rather than sit inside the church in anger.

I seriously doubt we will be rotting in hell for some disagreements with the church.

And if we are, I'll bring the margaritas, you can bring the ice ;)
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We've walked out angry (never early) when we've attended some of our "back-up" parishes. We are still "back-up parish" shopping, even after two years because we know the importance of attending every week, and want to have a place to attend that we feel comfortable with. It is pretty tedius and frustrating, though, especially when you are sitting in a Church and you feel like you stepped into some mad vortex. In those cases, I just close my eyes and pray, zone everything out and make the time productive.

But I have felt like walking out - even felt like standing up and screaming at some priests in the middle of mass!! Surprised I completely understand the feeling of not wanting to support a parish that is misguiding its congregation in the faith. We have a Catholic church within walking distance to our home and I'm not sure I could step foot in it again. I would feel like I was harming the faith and doing a complete disservice to truth itself just by attending. To me, that would be showing approval.

I think it is a good idea to keep "hopping" until you find a back-up church you like, because you (your soul) shouldn't be the victim.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OOT - We have two bottles of Tequila we bought at duty free in St. Thomas for cheap sitting in our kitchen right now waiting to be drank!

Agape and Monkey - I did feel slightly "lectured" by your comments (as a person, not as a moderator).  All you had to ask is if Calypso and I knew if not fulfilling our obligation was a mortal sin as opposed to typing whole paragraphs.  And Agape - I appreciate that you were repeating what a priest said.  And I wish you would've said that in the first place instead of making it sound like that was coming from you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    docta- I'm curious-- why would it matter whether it was coming from a priest?

Isn't half the point (of what this thread has become) about people *disagreeing* with the way that Mass is done? (and presumably the priest is in charge of that?!)

I think we would all agree that we have seen priests do/say things that have made us extremely angry!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Docta, you are not the only one it was for..as I said, many people don't know missing mass is a serious problem. There are lurkers, too. Many people have come here (non-Catholics as well) that have asked for such an explanation.

People state church teaching here over many topics...its not a lecture.

What I wrote was coming from me, but when you accuse me of talking to you like a child, I backed it up that its a standard explanation given at events as what I was talking about.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-choosing-parish-question-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c7010-490a-4126-9c55-57bb0837c95cPost:58d5cc94-3cb8-48b2-9af9-9b905aaf20fb">Re: NWR: Choosing a parish question (long, sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Docta, you are not the only one it was for..as I said, many people don't know missing mass is a serious problem. There are lurkers, too. Many people have come here (non-Catholics as well) that have asked for such an explanation. People state church teaching here over many topics...its not a lecture. What I wrote was coming from me, but when you accuse me of talking to you like a child, I backed it up that its a standard explanation given at events as what I was talking about.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

agape, I know that the mods here have tried to caution you on your wording seeming to be quite judgmental..  I really think that you should take their advice to heart!

There are many non Catholics who read this board and I would hate it if they thought that all Catholics were so rigid.

I have three PMs from various knotties who don't post on here that say it's because of your above it all attitude.  I can send these to a mod if you want it verified.

Calm down a bit and remember that God is loving above all else
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards