Catholic Weddings

Just because sometimes we need a bit of thought and some amusement.

Bishop Fulton Sheen lived in my building for several years.  The building was built in 1964 so my guess is that he was an original tenant.  He & his staff of three priests lived in the tower section,. Alas, I lived in a lowy wing as I was attending college here, starting in 1976. 

His immediate neighbors were Rodney Dangerfield, Alice Cooper (old rock star you may not remember), Dr. Rubin (author of Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex), and, for a very short time, Xaviera Hollander, aka, The Happy Hooker.

This place is a total mix of everyone from students to bishops to ____, well, all different sorts.  850 apartments makes it almost the United Nations sometimes.

Can you just see Rodney Dangerfield knocking on the Bishop's door to borrow a cup of sugar or milk?

One day, I was in the deli downstairs and I started chatting up a really hot guy when the nice Jewish lady who ran the deli immediately took me aside.  She informed me that the guy was a priest and I had better behave myself!  Embarassed
lol, he was wearing jeans, how could I have known?  But I was very careful after that!

The Bishop was a very dapper man, always friendly and smiling at anyone at all and seemed to be very well liked by everyone here.  The doormen would hold the door for him and then he would hold it if there was someone behind him.  Very much a people's person, that's  probably why he had such a huge following apart from the religious aspect, of course)  I've read that he may be considered for sainthood. (sorry, I don't know the technical term for that)

I remember the night he died because I was sitting on a sofa watching TV and I could see the ambulance in the circular driveway.  About 20 minutes later, there was a newsflash that Bishop Sheen has died.

Sad, yes.  And also sad because both of my grandmothers thought that he kept me safe in the big bad city!  Fortunately, I got married two years later and their worries were over.  They thought ;)

Re: Just because sometimes we need a bit of thought and some amusement.

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_just-because-sometimes-need-bit-of-thought-amusement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cf23c764-81f4-4cbf-bf2d-f2e49e815639Post:91c0badd-2178-4bff-8104-984c63ec30e9">Just because sometimes we need a bit of thought and some amusement.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bishop Fulton Sheen lived in my building for several years.  The building was built in 1964 so my guess is that he was an original tenant.  He & his staff of three priests lived in the tower section,. Alas, I lived in a lowy wing as I was attending college here, starting in 1976.  His immediate neighbors were Rodney Dangerfield, Alice Cooper (old rock star you may not remember), Dr. Rubin (author of Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex), and, for a very short time, Xaviera Hollander, aka, The Happy Hooker. This place is a total mix of everyone from students to bishops to ____, well, all different sorts.  850 apartments makes it almost the United Nations sometimes. Can you just see Rodney Dangerfield knocking on the Bishop's door to borrow a cup of sugar or milk? One day, I was in the deli downstairs and I started chatting up a really hot guy when the nice Jewish lady who ran the deli immediately took me aside.  She informed me that the guy was a priest and I had better behave myself!  lol, he was wearing jeans, how could I have known?  But I was very careful after that! The Bishop was a very dapper man, always friendly and smiling at anyone at all and seemed to be very well liked by everyone here.  The doormen would hold the door for him and then he would hold it if there was someone behind him.  Very much a people's person, that's  probably why he had such a huge following apart from the religious aspect, of course)  I've read that he may be considered for sainthood. (sorry, I don't know the technical term for that) I remember the night he died because I was sitting on a sofa watching TV and I could see the ambulance in the circular driveway.  About 20 minutes later, there was a newsflash that Bishop Sheen has died. Sad, yes.  And also sad because both of my grandmothers thought that he kept me safe in the big bad city!  Fortunately, I got married two years later and their worries were over.  They thought ;)
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Calypso, there no reason to do that.  If you don't delete it, I will report you to the knot admins

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a lovely reminder of the humanity of our priests. Oot, you flirt.
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh,  *headdesk*.

Calypso, there was no need to quote, and OOT, there was no need for that much of a knee-jerk response.  Everyone please focus on the post itself, not the drama from two days ago.  Thanks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    oot, i actually read this the first time you posted it the other day and found it of interest.  i came back later to find it gone, wtih no reason.  i wanted to make sure that this time others got to see it.

feel free to report me.  but if you want to play that way, i will start reporting the majority of your posts.
  • caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a cool story!! I just love him. I've been reading a few of his books lately and am pretty much floored by his brilliance.

& yes his cause for sainthood is open, I believe he's been declared "Venerable" which is a step on the way there....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You sure get around, oot Wink
    Thanks for sharing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Wow! What an incredible story. Thanks for sharing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hehehe :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards