Catholic Weddings

How Long are you waiting?

Hey ladies,
I was just curious...and maybe you haven't even thought about it yet.  How long after the wedding do you and your s/o want to wait to have kids?

I want to wait a couple years, so we can have a solid marriage, plus I'll just have finished school when we get married.  But we do for sure want kids :o)  What about you girls?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How Long are you waiting?

• catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only waited 5 months.

But DH and I both have very stable careers, we're done with school, we own our townhouse, we own our cars.  DH wanted to start having kids before he turned 30 (he turns 29 in August), so yeah... we waited 5 months before trying.

I think if I was younger and just out of college, I would have waited longer.  I've been out of college for 4 years.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm finally finishing my Ph.D. and starting my new job in August, so we're waiting for me to work for at least a year prior to TTC.  However, I am going off of the pill soon so that I can begin charting so that hopefully there won't be any issue when we're ready!

ETA:  We already own our townhouse as well, so that milestone is already complete :).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had been married a year and 3 months when I got pregnant... assuming all goes well we'll be just shy of our second anniversary when LO is born.

I was already working, DH was just finishing up his PhD dissertation at that point (defended now!) and we both just turned 30 this past week. We expected it to take a few months longer but had already decided that we were ready.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very nice! You girls sound like you're on the ball and have got it all together! catarntina and ring_pop congratulations on your pregnancies!! :o)
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i wanted to wait a year.  then a year became two.  we are ready now, and will most likely start trying this fall.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Waiting for DH to get a stable job...we were hoping to start at our 2 yr mark, but I'm not sure that's going to happen...
  • lisa89760lisa89760 member
    edited December 2011
    We are both getting our masters...he will be done next year but I won't be done until 2013, I think we will start trying after that. 
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    we want to wait a year to get pregnant.

Since we probably won't take a very long or fancy honeymoon rightaway, we've agreed that if we still aren't pregnant a year later, then we will go on an awesome trip to somewhere warm! :-)
    Anniversary
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not planning to wait. We're not as stable as some of you on here, but we looked at our $$ and plans, and don't see any serious reason to avoid children.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • edited December 2011
    We're waiting at least a year, maybe two.  I would like to get a masters degree while still teaching, so I want to have that at least mostly done before I get pregnant (don't think I can balance teaching, taking classes, and a baby all at once).

At the same time, I have suuuuper baby fever and, aside from being in an apartment, we will have no problems with having a baby sooner than two years.
    Anniversary

• MissRutigMissRutig member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you would have asked us 5 years ago you would have gotten a married at 21, kids by 23 answer.

Now were looking at a wedding right before both of our 25th birthday, and than we discussed TTC a year after that. My wedding is still 2 years off.. so we wont even TTC for 3 years. We are buying our first house this August. We both decided to get settled in a house before a wedding. && i would like to finish my nursing classes before babies.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well, we have been married almost a year. We probably wont TTC for at least another year. I need to finish my teaching license and Master's and H has to find a job since we just moved back to our home state. We would also like to have a small house before we have kids.
  • edited December 2011
    we're 21/22 right now. i want to graduate school first, and FI wil graduate in december and hopefully find a job soon.
    we want to spend a few years paying off student loans and being us- getting married young, we want to still have some fun in our early 20's.
    the plan is to either have a baby or be pg on my 25th birthday. which is 4 years from now.
    imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As soon as fh is 9 months from being finished with school... TTC!  Until then... TTA.  I know that I have some health issues that would need to be monitored closely during pregnancy, so we definitely don't want to wait too long.
  • shawna127shawna127 member
    edited December 2011
    That's great! It's fun to see everyones different situations and stories.  Good luck to all of you and no matter what happens it's all in God's hands.  You all seem like you would be wonderful mothers :o)
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    I have two already and they are older but we will be having more together and we're waiting about 2yrs. I would prefer not to wait at all but life is such that we have to.
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I are both 29, and my guess is that I'll be pregnant by our first anniversary. We don't want to start trying literally right away for several reasons, but we don't want to wait too long either. I think it is going to be month-by-month discernment for awhile.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Both of us and my grandmother want one now, lol. But we're gonna try to wait until the honeymoon to get pregnant. I know it's not a traditional way to go, but it seems that I have the support of everyone to have a baby. My friends even have a pool when I'll be announcing that the FH and I are expecting! I really hope if it happens before the wedding, it happens after his deployment. I just couldn't go through a pregnancy with him 7,000 miles away.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I have talked a lot about this. We are in a good spot financially and with our careers, but would like to wait 2 years so that we can travel and enjoy being married. Our plan is for me to stay at home, so, we'd prefer for him to progress a little futher with his career before then. I've been charting and am looking into NFP methods.

However, I already know it will be difficult for me to GP, so, we've decided that we will plan what we can, but really, it's all up to what God has planned for us.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Obviously we're open to them now, but in the perfect world, we won't be TTC for another year or so.  We're enjoying newly married life and want to build as strong a foundation as possible before adding children to our lives.
  • edited December 2011
    We're open to having children anytime after we're married. We're planning to be in the position to live on FI's income alone, so any amount of time that I can work and save money is helpful, but we'll be ready to have children when it happens :)
    ~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lburkey21lburkey21 member
    edited December 2011
    We would both love to have kids soon, but we're not in the position to do that just yet. I'm 28 and DH is 34. He wants to have them sooner because he doesn't want to be an 'old' dad. But first he needs to find a stable job. Almost 3 years ago he decided to make a career change to teaching and he's still working on getting a full-time teaching job (he's currently a Special Ed assistant). So, once he is able to do that we'll revisit kids. Ideall, we'd like to try to conceive next summer/fall.

So, please say lots of prayers that he's able to get a teaching job for this upcoming school year!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• edited December 2011
    I think we will start TTC 2 years after the wedding. We were both 29 when we got married, we both have stable jobs, but we aren't quite ready just yet. I don't want to wait too long, since we want at least 2, but we still have some time.

Even though I'm not really ready for them at the moment, I totally have baby fever. Luckily my sister just had a baby, and my SIL is due in August, so I have plenty of babies to play with.
  • Megaphone2752Megaphone2752 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'll probably wait 3-4 years. I will be done with my Masters and my FI will be done with his Doctorate in 2 years, then ideally we'll both get jobs we want to stay at for awhile, buy a house, and then have kids :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Fiance and I are in graduate school, so we'll probably wait till our last year here.  We're getting married young, so we have time to wait.
    My mother waited 4 years before she had kids (she was married at 21) and she says she wishes she had more time alone with Dad... Just a thought. It depends on how old you are.  Early-mid 20s you have time.  Late 20s and 30s I wouldn't wait too long - you use up your healthy eggs first and you don't want to wait until it's too late to conceive!
  • plato79plato79 member
    edited December 2011
    I just finished grad school round 2, so I need to get back into a career before any kiddos come along. FI & I may start the application process for adoption soon after the wedding (maybe 6months-1yr out) though, since we've heard it takes a long time (sometimes years) and we really want to adopt as well as have our own. I think it'll probably 2-3 years before we have any bio-related kids. We can't put it off too long though, since we're both 31 and I'd like to have one before 35. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards