Catholic Weddings

Wedding questions

Hi all! I am so excited to finally be able to post and start planning. My FI and I got engaged 12/19/10! FI is Catholic and I am not. SO, I am hoping to find some guidance here. I plan to become Catholic as our future children will be raise that way, I would like to be as well. I am looking for, I guess, two things, 1. how we begin talking to the church, do we just ask? (For some reason it makes me nervous, haha) 2. How do you become Catholic. All of these questions Im sure could be answered by my FMIL however we are a state apart and have conflicting work schedules. FI is currently in Pharm school so Im the one trying to figure everything out, haha. Any information/ guidance/words of wisdom are much appriciated!

Thanks!

Re: Wedding questions

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    welcome!
    that is wonderful that you want to share the faith with your husband.

you should make an appointment to talk to your priest.  you have the option to convert before or after your wedding.  you dont have to convert beforehand, although if you do, you'd be able to take communion with your spouse at your wedding, if you choose to have mass.

if neither of you have been married before, it should be a very smooth process.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!
    1. You just ask.  Don't be nervous!  Do you have a church in mind?  Do you have a relationship with the priest?  I'd introduce yourself to the priest and let him know that you're newly engaged.  I'd also call the church administration to see if the dates you're interested in are available and set up a meeting with the priest to discuss pre-marriage preparation.
    2. There is RCIA.  It's basically how adults become Catholic.  You might be a little late to start this cycle, but talk with the people who run the program at your parish to find out what are your options.
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations!

Definitely talk to a priest about converting.  This website has a lot of helpful information on Catholic weddings:
    http://catholicweddinghelp.com/
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_wedding-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:dec24d44-88ec-4fda-bdbe-0a6a2d3b359fPost:d3e2ef0d-4a4c-4460-939b-09b6fe069fbf">Wedding questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all! I am so excited to finally be able to post and start planning. My FI and I got engaged 12/19/10! FI is Catholic and I am not. SO, I am hoping to find some guidance here. I plan to become Catholic as our future children will be raise that way, I would like to be as well. I am looking for, I guess, two things, 1. how we begin talking to the church, do we just ask? (For some reason it makes me nervous, haha) 2. How do you become Catholic. All of these questions Im sure could be answered by my FMIL however we are a state apart and have conflicting work schedules. FI is currently in Pharm school so Im the one trying to figure everything out, haha. Any information/ guidance/words of wisdom are much appriciated! Thanks!
    Posted by MegOhSix489[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your engagment!

1.) Does your FI currently attend a church? Some parishes/priests require you to be members before you can start the pre-cana process. If not, I would start by attending a church regularly and registering with the parish office.

2.) As far as becoming Catholic, I am very glad that you are asking, however it is something that you must be ready for. And while all the ladies here would agree that we love for you to become Catholic, you have to do it for yourself, not simply bc you are marrying a Catholic.

The process for adults is called RCIA. Most churches start their classes in September and they end in early May. I actually went through it myself not quite 2yrs ago. I was baptized Catholic, however, never received the rest of the Sacraments.

The ladies around here are really awesome with questions you may have. And also check out catholicweddinghelp.com. Good luck and happy planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards