Catholic Weddings

Getting married during Lent

We're getting married during Lent and I was wondering how I should decorate the church- if at all?

Thanks Ladies!

Re: Getting married during Lent

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely talk with the priest and the church coordinator about that one.  I believe that you'd have to tone down all decorations if you are allowed to do them at all. 

I wasn't aware that most churches allowed weddings during Lent.  Have you already received a dispensation?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_getting-married-during-lent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:e10953dc-5ecb-46c2-9326-7773fd980684Post:30d1d7d5-df10-45ed-a7c1-c9101b012b9d">Re: Getting married during Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would definitely talk with the priest and the church coordinator about that one.  I believe that you'd have to tone down all decorations if you are allowed to do them at all.  <strong>I wasn't aware that most churches allowed weddings during Lent.  Have you already received a dispensation</strong>?
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

Yes, we have- and I was surprised too.  They've been strict about almost everything.  This definitely wasn't our first choice for a date, but we're both active duty military and planning around a deployment schedule.  :/
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We didn't decorate the church at all. I think the altar, plus you, your husband and bridal party will be beautiful on their own. At most, I'd do flowers on the altar (according to your priest's preferences). I think it can look really nice to let the beauty of the altar and the church take the spotlight. Ours was simple and elegant:

• lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm standing up in a wedding during lent and last time I talked to the bride she said she couldn't decorate the church because of lent.  I would ask your priest.
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i dont think decor is necessary at any time of the year.  most churches are beautiful on their own.

i would personally shy away from any decor during Lent.  while your wedding is a joyous event, it will be taking place during a very, very somber time.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_getting-married-during-lent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:e10953dc-5ecb-46c2-9326-7773fd980684Post:5829ced9-6eee-4007-a0a9-b0981ea5b47f">Re: Getting married during Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]i dont think decor is necessary at any time of the year.  most churches are beautiful on their own. i would personally shy away from any decor during Lent.  while your wedding is a joyous event, it will be taking place during a very, very somber time.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I would also make double sure to talk to your priest about what is and is not allowed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cousin got married during Lent - church decorations were limited to potted Peace Lilies - very simple and elegant.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married during lent and we were told that if we brought in any flowers or arrangements, they would have to stay in the church. We decided to just put a few on the front two pews and that is it. Our church is so beautiful inside it doesn't really need anything!!!
  • 2Bwed20112Bwed2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that decorations in the church really aren't necessary at all.  We are not doing anything except one flower arrangement in front of the podium.  Also, I agree that you need to ask your priest about this as they might not even allow you to do any decorations anyway since it is during Lent.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I never knew Churchs would not let you marry during Lent. We are getting married April 8th, and our preist did not even bring it up at all. I did not plan on decorating the Church though.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The season of Lent is a time of penance and fasting (excluding Sundays and solemnities). Having a huge celebration goes against the very nature of the season. Most weddings are a huge celebration.

It isn't a canon law that it can't happen during Lent, and exceptions can be made for a reason (such as military deployment timing, etc).

• DanielleZZDanielleZZ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my area each individual parish decides if marriage is allowed during Lent.  My church doesn't allow any decorations on the altar for weddings Lent or not.  I am going to put bows on the first few pews where the WP and grandparents/parents will sit.  I agree with PPs, if you have too many ceremony decorations it takes away from the bride/groom and what is taking place.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • cc+mmcc+mm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married during lent, our parish has no rule that forbids it.  I asked our priest about flowers on the alter and I thought he would say no. His actual response was, " Well I think it would look a little bare on the alter without flowers". So again, ask your priest, but there is certainly variation from parish to parish.
  • eguerra23eguerra23 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married March 19, and my parish only said we couldn't get married starting Holy Week until Easter Sunday. Decorations-wise, they just told me that any flowers I displayed would have to be taken with me or they would get thrown away. The only 'flowers' I'm doing is probably just the offering for the Virgin Mary, which will probably be my bouquet that I will take with me after the ceremony.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_getting-married-during-lent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:e10953dc-5ecb-46c2-9326-7773fd980684Post:74646ed5-efcf-45d0-b780-47fcd85ab29d">Re: Getting married during Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married March 19, and my parish only said we couldn't get married starting Holy Week until Easter Sunday. Decorations-wise, they just told me that any flowers I displayed would have to be taken with me or they would get thrown away. The only 'flowers' I'm doing is probably just the offering for the Virgin Mary, which will probably be my bouquet that I will take with me after the ceremony.
    Posted by eguerra23[/QUOTE]

Please don't do this. An offering for Mary is that...an offering. You don't take back an offering. Perhaps they will let you crown her (if you can reach), or lay a simple flower at her feet, which can stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards