Catholic Weddings

Drinking while fertile?

Okay nfp experts, this one's for you. So, this might be a stupid question, but. . . I know you aren't supposed to drink when pregnant, but what about when you're fertile? Like, say, what if you were honeymooning in Napa Valley, and it lined up with phase 2. Do you have to pick either sex or wine? Do you have to abstain from all alcohol until your next cycle if you ever have sex while fertile, just in case you got pregnant? Or does it not matter because the little guy isn't feeding off your bloodstream yet? Does anybody know the rules on these things? I'd just like to be prepared. Thanks!

Re: Drinking while fertile?

• Louisa,
    From conception up until at least 2 weeks later (I think it might be more than that, like up to 4 weeks from conception, maybe?), the baby doesn't share a bloodstream with the mother so any alcohol you drink will not affect the embryo. There's a saying on The Bump boards - that you can "drink till it's pink", meaning alcohol is okay until you get a positive pregnancy test. Though some women who are actively trying to conceive do avoid alcohol altogether after their fertile window (the "two week wait" between ovulation and menustruation or a positive pregnancy test) just to be on the safe side. So I would enjoy some wine, if I were you! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Pretty much everything Tea said. If you are using your fertile time, I would probably drink in moderation to some degree, but that's just me. Officially, there is no bloodstream sharing for a few weeks, so you're ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    If you are actively TTC, it's certainly not a bad idea to cut back on your intake so that you are used to not drinking regularly.  I don't know about you, but in my family and H's family, gatherings are accompanied with freely flowing wine, and it is almost second nature to have a glass in hand.  I certainly don't expect to be experiencing withdrawal symptoms or anything, but it will be odd to be in that environment and not participating.

I've had the same experience with coffee, except I'm trying to wean myself because there are no Starbucks where H and I will be living in June.  =(

ETA: BUT I would imagine you are going to Napa to enjoy the wineries, so I would echo PPs and say you are probably okay.
    Anniversary

• Drink up.  Doctors actually encourage a glass of red every once and while even whilst pregnant. Obviously if you are pregnant, do not drink more than a glass a couple times a week at most.  I didn't even have a sip in the 9 months I was knocked up, but I don't side eye people who do.

FWIW, I was pretty drunk 2 days before my BFP and N is perfectly healthy.  Cheers!
    ---------
    Anniversary

• Cat, have you been around since your baby was born?  Congratulations!
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_drinking-while-fertile?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f90f4c6f-16c6-4e7e-9590-8091091b9b60Post:ba408d29-8704-416e-bc6d-99892f2780f1">Re: Drinking while fertile?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cat, have you been around since your baby was born?  Congratulations!
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I haven't been posting much because when I was on maternity leave, I never had time to sit at my computer.  I just got back to work on Monday so I can post again. lol
    ---------
    Anniversary

• Thanks! That's great to hear! So nice to have you guys around :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards