Catholic Weddings

Where does the bridal party sit?

During the ceremony, where does the wedding party usually sit?  I thought they sat in the first pew, but my mother insists that the 1st pew is for family and the bridal party sits in the 2nd or 3rd.  This makes absolutely no sense to me, why wouldn't they sit in the front?  (side note: I think my mom just really wants this day to be about her)
9-10-11 .... IX-X-XI Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Where does the bridal party sit?

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen the wedding party behind the family. Ever.

Depending on the church, the bridal party may have chairs closer to the altar than the first pew, and the fam gets the first pew.

Or, the bridal party gets the 1st, and fam gets 2nd.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on how big is your church.  I have seen the wedding party in the first pew in narrower churches, and I've seen the parents and the WP in the first pew.  Our church's first pews were wide enough to accomodate the four bridesmaids and my parents on my side, and the four groomsmen and H's parents on his side.  The maids of honor and best men sat at the altar with H and me.
  • edited December 2011
    I've never seen the bridal party sit behind the family. I've seen all the arrangements others describe. Another thing I've seen is the bridal party sitting in the first pews on the wings or sides, where a church has four columns of pews, with the families in the first, center pews.

The Priest or whoever leads your rehearsal should know this for your particular ceremony location (it depends on the church architecture and the parish custom), and can be the one to break the news to your mother.
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I've only ever seen the WP either in front of the family, or like EJ said, off in the side pews if there are 4 pews in front. But of course, you can do whatever you want! :-)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My WP sat in pews to the side of the altars, with parents then in the front rows of the main section.  This was the arrangement setup by the priest at the rehearsal; I had no input into it.

That said, I have never seen the wedding party sit behind the parents.
  • edited December 2011
    At our church, there are seats on either side of the altar where the WP will sit.  Like everyone else, I have never seen the WP sit behind the family.  That would be awkward for them to shuffle back there in the middle of the ceremony.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I've never seen the BP sit behind the family!  I've seen the arrangements others have described, and in one wedding, we (BP) actually stood at the alter for the entire ceremony.  It was a Mass -- you can imagine how much I enjoyed that arrangement lol!  But it did look nice.

• edited December 2011

My BP sat in the first pew and my family in the 2nd.

• edited December 2011
    My WP sat in the front row. I've never seen it done another way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our WP sat in chairs in front of the front pew.  However, if your mom is worried about not being able to see for the vows, most likely the wedding party will relocate to stand on some part of the altar with you during the vows, so that shouldn't be an issue.  I can't tell if that's what she's worried about or not :).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • DaisyJaimeDaisyJaime member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm probably the only one who has seen the BP sit in the second row.  At the last few family weddings I have been to, I recall seeing the BP directly behind the family (parents).  I didn't know it could be done differently.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto others. At our wedding the bridal party and parents sat in the first row and the rest of the family sat in the second and beyond.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards