Pennsylvania-Central

Photography Questions

So I know there's been lot's of post about photographers but I feel like I still need some advice.  We're having a fairly small wedding (around 50) and trying to cut costs all around so I don't want to spend too much on a photographer.  I know some of the cheaper ones that were recommended on the board (Solas and Captured by Kate) are already booked on our date.  Does anyone have other reasonablenly cheap recommendations?  Also, if I had a family member or someone without that much experience take my pictures do you think I would end up regretting it?  If you're married, how often do you look at your pictures?  I know if would be nice to have nice pictures but with such a small wedding if I spend $2000 on photos that would be almost 1/3 of my budget which seems crazy to me but maybe I just need a new perspective.

Re: Photography Questions

• mamie329mamie329 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I don't have any recs of cheap photographers, I will say there's a great chance you will regret not hiring a pro. There is a world of difference between Aunt Ethel's point and shoot versus pro equipment (camera body and lenses), not to mention the skill, talent, and experience a professional has. 

I've been married 5 months, and I look at my photos a lot (probably because I have so many on facebook). I'll admit I'm pretty snobby about photography. For me, it was my biggest priority vendor-wise, and I don't regret a cent I paid (I probably spent about 25% of my entire budget on photography). Also remember you get the quality you pay for. If you're only paying $800, there's a reason for it. 

FYI, this article is worth a read: 
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • redreviving6redreviving6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've looked at a million photogs, minus the ones above I'd say try The Susquehanna Photographic.  They have reasonable rates based on the hours you need them. :)

• MrandMrsSMrandMrsS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photos mean different things to different people. I look at my photos pretty often but who's to say you will too? I would agree that seems like a lot for a smaller wedding.  But the plus side to that is you will only need one photographer because there is less to cover. Also, some of the cheaper packages have a set amount of hours. That may be the right option for you. As for me, I used Kalen Foley. He is from Delaware but offers free travel.  He is great with people so that makes him very easy to work with and he put together a custom package with everything I needed and it turned out to be a lot cheaper.
  • edited December 2011
    i agree with mamie that you should not have a family member take photos (regardless of whether they have a fancy camera or not). photos on your wedding day are extremely important and you want to pay a professional for that service, not just minimal talent that you can scrounge up among family and friends.

however, i disagree that paying $800 for photography means you will get poor quality photos. in my opinion, cost is not a determining factor of quality.

you can get good quality pictures for a low price but you need to do a lot of research and be happy with the examples that they provide. i'd ask for several examples of different photos (family, engagement, wedding, portrait, etc) and not just take two or three photo examples. if you see something you really dont like, dont take the chance that it *might* be better for your wedding. it likely wont.

you can get good talent without breaking your budget. we dont live in an area with a really high cost of living, and there are a lot of photographers available.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-central_photography-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:107Discussion:4658c54b-cefa-4bd7-beb1-28414ba19319Post:6d53ac33-5a11-47a2-b636-750dcbebca70">Photography Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I know there's been lot's of post about photographers but I feel like I still need some advice.  We're having a fairly small wedding (around 50) and trying to cut costs all around so I don't want to spend too much on a photographer.  I know some of the cheaper ones that were recommended on the board (Solas and Captured by Kate) are already booked on our date.  Does anyone have other reasonablenly cheap recommendations?  Also, if I had a family member or someone without that much experience take my pictures do you think I would end up regretting it?  If you're married, how often do you look at your pictures?  I know if would be nice to have nice pictures but with such a small wedding if I spend $2000 on photos that would be almost 1/3 of my budget which seems crazy to me but maybe I just need a new perspective.
    Posted by snowgirl711[/QUOTE]

Snow, I sent you a PM.
  • caracbearacaracbeara member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Frank E. King for our photographer...he gave us a good deal!
  • edited December 2011

Good questions and thoughts, snow. Here are a few ideas:

Each person knows what is most important at their wedding. For me, I did not spend a lot on invites, flowers, ceremony decor, or my dress. I did "upgrade" on my DJ, cake, and photographer. I spent the majority of my budget on the things that mattered to me.

However, whatever it is that is most important to you, the only way you will be able to remember it is though your pictures. Therefore, you want to make sure you have quality photos. Most likely, unless a family member has spent some time doing semi-professional photography, they won't give you the quality pictures that you want... even with a fancy camera... because they don't frame the shots, work with the light, or know how to enhance/color correct.

I am divorced, so I can't speak to how often I look at the photos from that wedding, but I will say this: my daughter just turned 7 yesterday, and the most precious pictures I have are those that were taken in her first hours. I can barely remember those hours, and those photos are priceless. My FIL at the time was a retired photographer, so he took some really great photos. I look at them... show them to others... and love to show them to my kids. They LOVE to look at their baby books. In terms of comparison, that is the best I can give you. You will NEVER regret having great photos. And your children/grandchildren will be glad you made the investment as well.

However, price does not indicate quality. I can't give you any suggestions for an inexpensive photog, but I am sure the other girls can.

Good Luck!

• yanksssjeter2yanksssjeter2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Call Scott Church.  Although you will find his "specialty" may not be weddings, he does do them and takes AMAZING photos.  He is very reasonable.
  • edited December 2011
    I know I'm always mentioning them, but Cardens Photography is reasonable and always willing to travel.
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely check into Scott Church. I know he was on the more reasonable side & is newer to doing weddings, so he's excited about it! 
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • zinniafanzinniafan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    www.LisaRhinehartPhotography.com
    2009 packages started at $980
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards