Pennsylvania-Central

Venue around Gettysburg?

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

My fiance and I recently moved to North Carolina for careers. My parents live in Gettysburg and his friends and family live closer to that region. Our problem is that my fiance wants to have the reception venue closer to them, but I don't know where to look. I only lived in Gettysburg for two years and still don't know good places for a wedding... plus it is stressful of organize this all wen we live a few states away! We are on a budget since we just started work and our wedding party is roughly 60 people.

We are getting married in a church in Emmittsburg, MD. We originally planned to have our venue at Fort Richie in Washington County, but unfortunately the place shut down over an injury lawsuit. We are at a loss and are so bummed out since it was a quiet, private location with a lake.

I am nervous about having it in Gettysburg since our wedding is in July 2014. July is a HUGE tourist month due to the anniversary of the battle of Getysburg and I do not want to be in the middle of crowds on my wedding day.

Can someone help me out with an idea? Thanks.

Re: Venue around Gettysburg?

• Smooch711Smooch711 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2012
    Definitely do some research on the following:

-The Links at Gettysburg (south of Gettysburg)
    -Liberty Mountain Resort (in Fairfield/Carroll Valley area) - prob. the closest from Emmitsburg
    -The Lodges at Gettysburg (towards Fairfield off of Rt. 116)

These are ALL on the outskirts of Gettysburg, and can provide some relief due to the tourists. I don't know your budget, but they're worth a look.

And of course, there is always the Gettysburg Hotel (which is prob. the cheapest of these) but it's downtown Gburg (in the square).

Definitely call and see availability too. Good luck!!!
  • Also, does the Carriage House in Emmitsburg do wedding receptions? Might be worth checking out, so you could avoid Gettysburg all together.
  • Another word to the wise is to avoid the weekend of Gettysburg Bike Week. It just means more traffic in Gettysburg and less hotel rooms available if you need those. The 2013 dates are July 11th-14th, but I don't think 2014 dates are posted yet. We have been going for a couple years and I am pretty sure it is always the 2nd weekend in July.
    AJK2013
  • The old country club is a reception venue now. It is on the outskirts of town on route 30 towards Chambersburg. Also, the Wyndam Hotel at route 30 and route 15 is gorgeous and easy access to the highway but will keep you away from the more touristy areas and single lane roads.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the ideas! My parents live across the street from Liberty Mountain... I'm wasn't very impressed with it. Good point about Bike Week, but it ends July 14th... just a few days before my wedding date. I'll check out the Lodge. Thank you ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards