Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Caterer for less than $70 a person

Hello!

I am just starting to do research for my upcoming fall wedding. It seems like almost every caterer is >$70 per person. I realize food and service is expensive, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a good caterer in the greater Harrisburg area that will cater for less than that (on average). I know it also depends on your food choice, but if you know of a caterer who is more moderately priced, please let me know! 

Re: Caterer for less than $70 a person

• Options
    kimberlyr22kimberlyr22 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    What caterers have you looked at so far?  We started planning a wedding in Harrisburg but found catering prices high as well, and ended up moving it to Lancaster (which is where we live) where catering prices are a little more digestable.

As for Harrisburg, our best prices came from Premier (Camp Hill), Events Etc. (Hershey), and Chef Exclusive (Carlisle). For reference, we were quoted prices for cocktail hour (crab dip, cheese display, meatballs, and passed tomato soup w/ grilled cheese shooters), plated salad, Carving Station (turkey, beef tenderloin, and four sides) and an Asian Station with chicken stir fry, rice, egg rolls, and sushi. 

Those three caterers all came in around $58-$70/person. However, this price did not include linens, as we found it saved us a lot of money to purchase instead of rent ($8/each to buy vs. $25/each to rent).

We had tastings with each of those three companies and they were all excellent and their coordinators were very nice, even when we ended up not using their service.  My sister's FMIL uses Premier all the time and loves them -- their beef wellington and baked corn are exceptional ( they were on my sister's engagement dinner menu).

I always dreaded getting catering proposals b/c the food prices always seem so low, but the labor is what kills you.  We ended up using Rettew's in Manheim, PA, and the price for food was $28/head (for everything listed above), but labor tacked on almost another $20/person.
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • Options
    Check out Linda of uncommon caterers.  She's amazing and her food is delicious! 
  • Options
    A Matter Of Taste catering out of chambersburg is really well priced. I'm not sure how far they are willing to travel, but the food is amazing and you can tell that create great food is their passion. Plus, the menu and prices are all online so you can browse a little before you have to make the phone call.
  • Options
    audreyastern, where are you getting married? I am using Festive Board. He takes care of everything except cake (though you can order it from him,) alcohol, centerpieces and favors/place cards. He includes linens, servers and bartenders. He will set up everything for you, too! He is AMAZING and I can't wait to use him. He is in York, but will travel. 

We got him for less than $40 a person! https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Festive-Board/292386707365 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards