Illinois

Northwest 'burbs of Chicago...

I will not be getting married for quite some time (09/07/13) but it is never too early to start planning. My boyfriend/fiance and I are planning to move near my hometown in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago in about a year and a half and we'll be getting married near my hometown.

I've been looking around online for a place to hold our wedding and reception but I'd like to get more input from those who are closer to their big day than I am. Thanks to anyone who can help me out! Laughing

Re: Northwest 'burbs of Chicago...

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    If you can do two things I would be happy to help you out a bit.....
    Please narrow down NW suburbs-----Lake County?  McHenry County?  North Shore?

What type of venue are you looking for?  I see that you want to hold your ceremony at the reception.  Do you want to be the only bridal event there?  Is an outside component important?  Are you looking for an all-inclusive type of venue or do you want to bring in all your elements?   Modern? Rustic? Unique? Hotel?  Will most of your guests be locals?

Happy to help if you can narrow some of this down!
  • Ashes90Ashes90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lake County?  McHenry County?  North Shore? Cook County. We'll be moving to South Elgin near most of both of our families.

What type of venue are you looking for? I see that you want to hold your ceremony at the reception. You are right. I want a place where I can get married and have the reception in the same place to save money. Although, once my parents really get involved in this, that might change. So I am keeping my options open as to ceremony and reception location(s).

Are you looking for an all-inclusive type of venue or do you want to bring in all your elements?   Modern? Rustic? Unique? Hotel?  Both my boyfriend and I are very random people and we both really like the Victorian times. We will be bringing in "old-fashioned" themed decor into the wedding and reception along with our Irish and German customs. I'm hoping to have the wedding and reception in a hotel because that'll save us a ton of money for those guests that are not local.

Will most of your guests be locals? Yes. Most of both of our families live in Cook/McHenry County but half of our bridal party will be living in different states. However, we will not have a lot of people at our wedding; I only want about 120-150 guests there. Family and close friends, ya know?

Do you want to be the only bridal event there? Being the only bridal event there would be ideal but I can deal with more than just mine being held at the same location at the same time.

Is an outside component important? An outside component is far from important but if it is included in the venue, then it will be okay.

In the end, if I have to spend an extra couple hundred to get a certain thing here and there, it's not going to kill me or my boyfriend. Both sets of parents are contributing and we'll be getting help with other things from various family members.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    edited December 2011
    I assume you are merely checking out possibilities right now to narrow down choices...because your date is far out, I would caution against putting any money down anywhere right now.....in this economy it is surprising and sometimes shocking to see hotels/venues that seem "untouchable" closing......

Unfortunately, I have little experience with venues in the Elgin area....you can find almost anything you want in the Schaumburg area---The Westin in Itasca is nice...Bartlett HIlls Country Club is nice....Poplar Grove Country Club in Hoffman Estates is very popular, as is the Seville in Streamwood and Stonegate in Schaumburg....A brand new venue in Sycamore called Chapel in the Pines has the "flavor" you are looking for but I have no firsthand information...The Makray Memorial Golf Club in Barrington was quite literally renovated to resemble old world Scotland---it is gorgeous and far removed from any streets...you feel as if you are on an island.....we came very close to booking there...

The Redfield Estate also has the "look" you are going for but it is in Glenview and I don't think that is really in your area of choice...much more NorthEast Suburban/North Shore.....

The Milk Pail in East Dundee...Randall Oaks in West Dundee...the Anvil Club in Dundee......The Woodstock Opera House.....or the Waverly Ballroom in Woodstock are also busy....

We booked in January, 2010 for our June, 2011 wedding....tho it seemed far in advance at the time, we found that the date we wanted was literally the only Saturday they had left....but one "perk" to that is the venue (because they had not yet raised prices for the new year)locked us into the current price at the time.  It never hurts to ask......

Good luck!
  • Ashes90Ashes90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, haha, you've really done your homework. Thanks!

I do have another question, though: Have you heard of the Midwest Conference Center? I looked at the site and it's rather close to where I want to get married anyway and it has everything I want. Not sure about the price, though, as I don't know what it is. I'm just curious to know if you're familiar with it. Thanks!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I'm sorry--I am not familiar with that venue.  The only venue I am aware of in that vicinity is the White Pines Golf Course---they offer ceremony and reception packages.  It seems as if a good majority of venues, both large and small, have some sort of ceremony option these days. 

Good luck in your search.....if you have a good idea of your guest list count and budget, it will make the search easier. 
  • Ashes90Ashes90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There has been a change of date for my wedding (09/23/12) but still being held somewhere near my hometown.

As for my guest list and budget, I'm still unsure who and how much will be involved. Thank you so much for your help, mobkaz! It is much appreciated!

Laughing
  • Jami86eJami86e member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try www.genevabride.com

geneva is about 15 minutes from south elgin. the florist we are using is in elgin and also has a location in geneva, which is how i found this web site
    Visit Jewish.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Look at Bristol Court Banquets in Mount Prospect, the food is amazing & the room is gorgeous. i just helped my best friend plan her wedding there & there are NO sales people, you get to talk directly to the owners... they are SOOO nice! they can do both ceremony & reception. i've never seen or heard a bad review about them... you should definitely check them out. (bristolcourt.com)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards