Massachusetts

DJ Ray Richard

I'm wondering if anyone has worked with Ray Richard before.  He came highly recommended to us by our photographer and wedding coordinator, but I feel like I'm having more trouble with him than anticipated.  First, he took 3 weeks, 1 unanswered email, a phone conversation, and a phonecall from our coordinator to finally send us the contract.  When I did finally get it, it had the town where the wedding is being held incorrect, and did not mention that he had told us that he would not charge us any additional time fee for our ceremony (his price covers 5 hrs, then he starts charging more, but our ceremony put us at 5 1/2 hrs, so he said he'd cover that for no cost). 

Plus, he sent a list of some songs and, I swear to you, the most recent song is "One Sweet Day" by Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey (circa 1995!!!!).  Needless to say, I'm a little concerned that he's going to turn my wedding into an 80's/early-90s throwback party. 

Any feedback on his work, or advice on how to move forward, would really be appreciated.  I'm really hoping we can make it work with him, but we're going to have to work out the kinks soon or else my heart might guide me in another direction!!

Re: DJ Ray Richard

• kdalessandrokdalessandro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have not personally worked with Ray Richard before, but I have been to many functions where he has been the DJ.  Most recently, my friend held her wedding in June 2009 at Independence Harbor during the day.  We were all a little concerned that a day wedding wouldnt feel very "party like" and people wouldnt be up dancing, but Ray did a great job keeping a good atmosphere going.  I haven't seen his actual playlists, so maybe what he sent you was not updated?  I think that's a little unprofessional if he hasn't updated his playlists, however, I can tell you that he played a great mix of 90s and 2000's music for us, with some very recent top 40 hits.

LIke I said, I can't vouch for working with him directly, and it sounds like you've had a hard time with him, but I can definitely say that he's a great DJ come the actual day/night of your wedding. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KimM0915KimM0915 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the feedback!  I really want to make it work with him because he has been so highly recommended, so I was hoping it was just a difference in work styles and an old song list!  Sounds like he's worth the extra effort :)
  • ctolf33ctolf33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having Ray for my wedding next year.  My sister in-law and many of her friends used him too.  I haven't done much yet besides book him yet, but from the experience of going to a wedding where he is the DJ, he is AWESOME.  He really helps with the flow of the wedding and he livens it up.  I think you should set a time to meet with him and sit down and you can bring a list of specific music you want to have played and I'm sure he will have it.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I am having the same issues with Ray.  I'm really nervous because I'm getting married in less than two months and I "booked" him back in January.  No contract.  I've called several times and he says yes he has us down on his schedule but...

My fiance and I decided at the last minute to have a "real" wedding and had to pull everything together quickly.  Everything is all set in contracts except the DJ! 

In case this doesn't pan out; does anyone know of another good DJ? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards