Massachusetts

hair/makeup Amherst are

Any suggestions for hair/makeup in the Amherst area?  I just had a trial at Salon Divine and it was a disaster.  The salon was disorganized, they mistakenly have my day double booked with another wedding and didn't tell me until I already put down my deposit, and my makeup looked ridiculous.  Any ideas for what it would cost to have someone from Boston travel out?  I live in Boston and it would be more convenient to have a trial here then out there. 

Re: hair/makeup Amherst are

• edited December 2011
    Uh oh...I have Salon Divine booked for my wedding, so I'll be interested to see what responses you get!  There just aren't a lot of options in NoHo/Amherst...

I went in over the weekend to get a mani/pedi and a style dry for my bridal shower.  The mani/pedi was pretty mediocre.  The style dry was fine...nothing amazing, but fine.  There were a few brides that came in for hair/make-up trials while I was there - the hair looked good but I didn't get to see the make-up up close.  I'm not having my trial until August...maybe I should go in a little earlier and see if I need to bring someone in from Boston as well!  

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting my hair done at Ochoa in East Longmeadow. They also have a salon in South Hadley. You could give them a try. I also heard about another salon that just opened in Easthampton...I'll ask my grandmother for the name if you're interested.

Isn't it such a pain to plan from Boston!?! We have such a hard time getting out to Western MA.
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My sister got her hair and makeup done at Salon Hardis in Northampton and I am getting it done at the Underground in Northampton. Salon Haridis in not that good with nails, but everything else they were wonderful. For nails you can try The Ivy in Southampton.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • CarolynEllCarolynEll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my makeup done separately from hair. I booked Liz Washer as my makeup artist. I think she's out of Northampton, but travels to you. She did a fantastic job on my trial and I booked her on the spot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Boston917Boston917 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you for the suggestions!  After thinking about it more, I have to go with someone from Boston and have them travel out.  I don't have a free day to take another trip out to W. Mass before the trial.  So if anyone knows a great stylist in Boston that will travel please let me know!

As for Salon Divine...my hair came out just ok.  They stylist didn't really have a lot of suggestions, or input, so if you know exactly what you want then you should be good.  The make up artist (who is also the owner) was very pushy but I really liked her own make up so I trusted that she would do a good job but unfortunately it was awful.  Plus the whole deal about taking my deposit and then telling me that they accidentally double booked.  Just got a bad vibe about the place.  I would suggest moving your trial up closer so you have more time in case you're not happy - now I'm completely scrambling during an already very busy time in the planning process.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!  Boston917 - good luck finding someone!  If I hear of any recommendations I'll be sure to pass them along.  When is your wedding?

jonchrissy - it IS a pain to plan from Boston.  I feel like every time we go out for a family event we're trying to fit in as much wedding stuff as we can!
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh that's what we're doing too!! I have 2 appointments booked Saturday and we're going out there for the day to celebrate fathers day too. 
    We're doing
    Brunch with my grandfather
    flowers
    cake
    dinner with my dad

It's been like that every. single. weekend. 

And none of the vendors understand this! I'm trying to make appointments and they're like hows Tuesday night. I explain I'm in Boston and I can't get out mid-week. Then they suggest Wednesday evening. I explain again I work full time and live in Boston. It's exhausting!
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Boston917Boston917 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to give an update on Salon Divine-
    They were really nice about me cancelling the appointment, and even gave me a refund on a my non-refundable deposit.  I think they're under new ownership and working out some kinks, but I'm impressed by how they handled this sticky situation.
  • edited December 2011
    Good to know!  Glad they refunded your deposit!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards