Massachusetts

How far in advance to book?

Hi knotties,

Got engaged in mid-December and am starting full-on planning now :)

FW and I are looking at a spring/early summer wedding in Western Mass. For one it's legal; it's also WAY cheaper than NYC wedding prices!

We're hoping to go up there for an exploratory weekend sometime within the next month or two. How far in advance should we be booking a venue, if we're looking at April, May or June 2013? I'm thinking the Garden House at Look Park for the reception and Helen Hills Hills Chapel at Smith for the ceremony. Are places for early 2013 being taken already? Or if we wait to go up there sometime in late Feb will we still be okay for booking?

Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot

Re: How far in advance to book?

• My photographer said that they are booking a lot for early 2013 so I would say that venues would be quite booked already. I am having an at home wedding so I didn't really look at a lot of venues and can't say for sure how far out they get booked. It probably depends on the venue, but keep in mind that other vendors are gonna book up quickly and you can't book them until you have a secure date with a venue. I would go as soon as you can if you have a preference for a particular date. You could also call the venues and tell them about your plans and ask them how many dates they have available still.
  • I think if you wait until Feb you should be ok since you don't have a certain date you want.
    White Knot
    June '13 January siggy Honeymoon Destination
    Indian Head Resort White Mountains New Hampshire
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks!! This is helpful. I called the Garden House and put my date on hold; visiting it next weekend so we'll see if we like it.
  • I got engaged in October 2011 and I am securing a date this month. You do have time. However I would as soon as you find the date and venue you love. I know in regards to my venue. Post April 2013, prices at my venue go up drastically. So dates in april 2013 at my venue are booking up. You also may be able to secure 2012 prices for 2013.
  • As soon as you find a place you love, I would book it right away. It's never too early. Especially with weddng expos coming up, places will be booking up faster. Luckily you don't have your heart set on a date so you can be pretty flexible.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Places are booking for 2013. My tentative date is May 18, 2013 (subject to change if I find a dream venue and there isn't availability on that particular date). All but 1 place we've looked at has had that date available. The issue I'm running into is that a lot of May dates also may be booked for proms.

I'd say plan on booking by end of February at the latest... whether or not the place is available is likely to be luck of the draw.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

May 2013 - January - Cake Inspiration!
  • @DivaJenD - as an FYI, that weekend is graduation at Mt. Holyoke, Smith, and Hampshire. If you book for May 18th, 2013 traffic in the PV will be insane and there will be fewer hotel rooms available for your guests. I'd look at either the next weekend or June 1 (like I'm doing).
  • sorellina - Thanks for the info!! I didn't realize so many places had graduation that particular day. The following weekend is Memorial Day weekend, and we have a lot of guests that go away for that weekend, but I may look into the weekend before instead. Thanks for the tip!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

May 2013 - January - Cake Inspiration!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards