Florida-West Coast
Options

Im thinking Im having an emotional breaking point....

So I just need to vent this all out before I freak out on someone. So we live in Michigan and are having our wedding in Fort Myers Beach. We couldnt really afford any of the venues, so decided to rent a beach house. Now I realize we probably could of afforded a venue after going through all this BS! So its probably my fault I didnt get more information in writing, or a contract. But that seems to happen when your planning your wedding and dont have any idea what your suppose to do. This is a big lesson learned. So we rented this house for a week, and were going to have the ceremony and reception there. The guy said that was fine but there was a charge of $800 for weddings. We figured we were getting such a great deal on the house that it was all good. The owner of the house and I talked on the phone a few times about all the details, and we mailed him a check for the deposit. When he confirmed he recvd that payment he gave me the balance. It was a lot more than I estimated. Turns out the price on his website is for 2 people staying in the house. The house sleeps 8. Each person over 2 is an additional $125. This was the first I heard of this. I assumed (and I shouldnt have) that the price on his website was for 8 since he advertises it sleeps 8. And in our convos he kept asking if I had 8 but never mentioned that extra charge thing. Than as I did a little more research I found out he lives in the house! Upstairs. He failed to mention that. He rents out the bottom half which is separate and 1500 sq ft. He also said this was a beach front home. I found out that there is the marsh to walk through to get to the beach, so there is no way we can have the ceremony on the beach without having our guests walk through the water. The beach is about 800 ft from the house. While I felt very uneasy about everything we did send a nonrefundable deposit so decided to make the best of it. Well now we are paying off the balance. And we have only 4 people staying in the house. Well 4 adults, 1 child. But to he said it doesnt matter the age of the person, its all one charge. A lot of our family is not coming to the wedding now, so we will not have the 8 people. We told him this and he said, sorry my retirement has been cut and when you sent the deposit you agreed to 8 people. Again we never signed a contract, but I guess I can see where hes coming from. Its one thing after another with this guy. He says he tries to run this like a business but everything he does is so shady. He goes out of town for work from time to time ,and I just know hes not going to go out of town while we are there. I have a feeling he is going to make me misearable. He keeps saying that the reception is no longer than 3 hours, and if we have over 30 guests he will charge us an extra $200. This guy is going to be monitor us...I can see it now. With all this extra BS we should of just paid a little more and had it at a nicer venue. When you think about it....$800 could of gotten a nice place without the drama! I feel like nothing is going smoothly, and if I hit another bump in this road I may lose it. :(

Re: Im thinking Im having an emotional breaking point....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, hmmm $800 is a lot...I'm sorry, what a pain in the butt this guy is being.If it were me (and I didn't sign a contract) depending on the amount of the deposit I'd say f- it and look else where... You're also really close to the wedding thou right?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't even know what to say!  That sounds very very frustrating, I am so sorry!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are close. 2 months away. We put down $1300 already, and actually my sister and BIL put it down. Its their wedding gift to us. I know this is drastic but at this point Im ready to pay back my sister and BIL and call off the whole thing. No one has even bought their flights yet anyways.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well you have to get married! :( Don't call off the wedding!Thats a lot of money to be out, but I'd be feeling the same way you are about the creepy live in guy....Is there no other options, possibly a change of venue?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you spoken to anybody else that has rented the place? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im really afraid Im going to go off on him once we get there, and than hes going to make my wedding week hell. I have stopped communication with him, and my FI and BIL are doing all the talking to him now. Even if we change the venue he is saying we still agreed to the $800 charge for a wedding and it is due. There has been weddings held there before. I spoke with one of the brides and she raves about this property. She said when she found out he lived there she was a little creeped out to, but he left for the entire day of her wedding so it worked out fine. She did say she barely saw him the rest of the time they stayed there. I feel like hes really taking advantage of us. And at the same time I wish I did more research and feel like so stupid!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't feel stupid! I just looked at the pictures again and it's gorgeous!!!! Holy moley, it's prettier than some other locations I've seen in the area! At this point I say you just stick it out, I'm sure it will be wonderful, you've already spent so much money on it ($1300 is a lot to lose)If you have a good rec from one bride, could you get more recs? to put your mind at rest ?
  • Options
    sara76sara76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aw!  I hate those feelings, like you should have asked more questions.  I ran across a problem when I found out after the contract that the hotel I'm having my wedding  is totally booked and there are no rooms available for my guests.  I was soo upset!  Just remind yourself why it is that you booked it in the first place, all the things you initially loved about it, and remember that 2  months out you are naturally going to be stressed and worried no matter what.  I am sure it will all work out! and I will be thinking of you, sending good vibes your way!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    sara76sara76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just looked at the pics of the property and wow wow!!  Stunning!  Your day will be beautiful!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    nillachicknillachick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear that! The pictures are gorgeous. Is there a bridge to the beach or anything to walk over so you could still have the oceanfront ceremony?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Things seem to have gained a normalcy. My FI came to the rescue. He balances me out so well. :) He knows exactly when to step in. He asked me how I wanted things, all the small details, time line, etc. Than called the guy and talked it all out, followed up with an email to confirm, and we should have no more surprises. They covered everything from how long the reception will be, parking, what the cleaning fee covers, music, etc. He also will be leaving the day of the wedding to. And has some things we can use for the wedding day. Extra lights, sun umbrellas, chairs, etc. My FI says he feels good with the guy, and I said as long as you do I trust you. I dont plan on dealing with the guy, Ill leave that to my FI. I do wish we could do the beach ceremony, but we will probably just do it on the property with the beach background. My FI grandma is in a wheelchair so wouldnt be able to get her out there anyways. We can go take pictures though afterwards. The bride I talked to did that and I loved her pictures. Some cute ones of them walking through the water :) Thanks for the posts :) Your right I fell in love with this place for a reason and in the end everything will be just right :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YAY! So glad you worked it out! I can't wait to see pics from the beautiful location!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards