Florida-West Coast
Options

Meltdown! I hate my dress. Update in OP ):

Today I got a lot of bad news so I'm edgy, but this has been on my mind for a while. I picked out my dress four years ago (it's long story and all in the blog if your interested). It was a sample dress that had been donated to good will when the boutique closed I got it for $70. It's Alfred Angelo:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/babykate82/Wedding%20Blog/AA1912a.jpg Front

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/babykate82/Wedding%20Blog/AA1912c.jpg Back

I starting alteriations by having it de-beaded on the top and I love how it came out, but I started to feel as I planned other wedding details esp looking for a headpeice and jewelry, that the dress doesn't work. It doesn't fit the theme or the venue. It's heavy even if I remove the train like I was planning. So much so that I was trying to find something else to wear to the reception so I could sit easier (I use a wheel chair part time). It's conserative and very formal. It's just not right. But, it's paid for and only needed some sewing.

This is the dress I am in love with:
http://www.amymichelson.com/popup_grace.html

I't's light and etherial. It's different and it fits the theme. It retails around $6,000 and most girls reselling it want $3,000 for it. On top of which none of them seem to be my size! Now I may have been able to justify $3,000 (maybe) on a dress if I didn't have one, but I do. We're paying for our whole wedding ourselves. Now FSIL  thinks I should go try it on so she can see it in person. She wants to see if we can add a flowy-er fabric to my existing skirt or something to make it a little more similar. I'm terrified that this will only make me feal worse.  

Sorry, for venting. No idea what I'll do next just needed to share.

Update: I called to see if there was any reduction in price since the designer no longer makes it and the boutique was "sold out". So, there's no way to get it new locally...
image 110 Invited
image 76 Are Ready to Party! image 34 Are Missing Out image0 Need to Respond
RSVP Date: February 21

March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Rings image
Mine imageHis My Wedding Blog(Updated Daily) Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Meltdown! I hate my dress. Update in OP ):

• Options
    Angie.LapkovAngie.Lapkov member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really love the dress, it's so much more unique and classier, wow. You should go and try it on and take pictures. Smile
  • Options
    missy1954missy1954 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Long after the wedding is over you will be looking at pictures of yourself in your wedding gown. I think it's time for you to go shopping.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Go shopping!  I hated my dress.  Big regret!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should go buy a new dress!  4years and $70 ago is a wash, resell it.  good luckCool
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
    181 image
    Invited to the Celebration of the Year
    109 Yes image
    50 Missing Out! image
    22 Not Responded Yet image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls, I feel a little less crazy now.
    image 110 Invited
    image 76 Are Ready to Party! image 34 Are Missing Out image0 Need to Respond
    RSVP Date: February 21

March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Rings image
    Mine imageHis My Wedding Blog(Updated Daily) Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree -- go shopping ! I wasn't 100% sold on my dress but it worked out well! =) Just look around, you never know where you'll find something you like!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It never hurts to try on your dream dress.  After you put it on, you'll know for sure if it's worth the money or not.  It's all about how you feel in it.  If you don't feel your best in your wedding dress, then you should consider choosing something else, whether it's this dream dress or another dress.  I had second thoughts about my dress after my dad had a lukewarm reaction to it, but I tried it back on and remembered why I loved it so much.  That's the feeling you want to have.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    don't shop for something if it's out of your budget. you will frustrate yourself and you will not be a happy camper. i would work your budget until you are sure of the amount of money you have to spend on a new dress and then go shopping. $6000 is A LOT of money. Yes you want to love your dress, but you wear it one time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel similar to you. Yesterday I had my first fitting, and I think my dress looks cheap. Oh well. I know we didn't have a ton to spend on it, but I also know everyone will be looking at it. I'm going to just tell myself to stay above it and focus on the day. Hopefully that sucker photographs amazingly!!! 

Good luck to you -- whatever you decide!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What size are you?  I  dont have the dream dress you are looking for but it has a flowy organza bottom and lace with pearls on the top.  I fell in love with the skirt and short traim it had but then found another dress that was ME. 
    THis may not be at all what you are looking for but the organza at the bottom is light and airy.
    I live in Tampa.

My dress is size 6, street size 6...no alterations
    I paid $1250 but willing to sell for $700.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards