Florida-West Coast

Athena's Bridal

Any one know anything about Athena's Bridal in Clearwater?? I found some dresses by Mori Lee that I'm in love with.. Athena's is one authorized retailer that carries the plus sizes. I was just wondering if anyone has experiences with them.. good or bad? I like to know what I'm walking into before it happens!  :)

Lynn

Re: Athena's Bridal

• rehbkm2wedrehbkm2wed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried on dresses there and had a really good experience!! Good luck!! 
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This will probably end up being long, but here goes:

I went there, and told the woman who greeted me (who I understand is the store owner) that I wanted a wedding dress that wasn't strapless and that wasn't low-cut and sexy, and that didn't have a huge southern belle ball gown skirt.

She asked me what street size I was, and I said 16, because I had just gotten two size 16 business suits from Burdines about a month before.

She said OK and put me in a dressing room to get undressed.

Then she came in, with two strapless dresses and one dress with a nice top but with a huge hoop skirt.  And she says, "I have here the best I can do.  Here are two 10s and a 12."

Now I realize that I should have put my clothes back on and left immediately.  But my mom was sitting out there, and we wanted to have that mother/daughter dress trying-on experience. 

So when she held the 12, I got into it.  It wouldn't zip of course, so she held the back together with her hands, and shoved me forward.  I burst out of the dressing room and my mother looked pretty startled.

And, here's the clincher, this is what the owner/clerk said - super loudly and there were probably 15 other people in the store at the time:

"She eeees TOO BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG for de dress.  Buuuuuuuuuut, we can add paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanels to de sides to make eeeeeet fit."

I got out of there ASAP, and burst into tears - and drove straight to Dillards where I bought a SIZE 16 off-white 2-piece white sparkly tea-length dress to be married in.

That's my experience. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am so sorry for PP experience the lady was rude and out of line. However, being a big girl too I have to tell let you know you won't find dresses in our size to try on at the stores. All samples are size 8, 10, and maybe a 12, and as we all know wedding dresses run two to three sizes smaller. That doesn't mean you can't have a great experience. I went to CC's and Melindy Elene both places treated me amazing and they didn't have any samples in my size. The trick is for them to put you the dress and show you what it would look like in your size. 
    GL!
  • ktwishktwish member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Melindy Elene for the BM dress, and even though we didn't have an appointment, they were wonderful! She did have a bridal appointment come in while we were there, so we tried not to steal too much attention.
    They gave us a discount for buying 2 dresses at the same time. They also included free shipping out of state for the BM, and b/c they were out of state purchases, there was no sales tax (extra discount!)! 

All in all, great experience at Melindy Elene!
  • vmmomvmmom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also a plus size, and I went to Davids Bridal.  They actually had a LOT of samples for me to try on (in my size).  I was kind of apprehensive about trying on dresses and having everyone looking at me, and they made it a wonderful experience.  I am so thrilled with my dress.  I would recommend them - especially if you need "special" sizes.
  • missy1954missy1954 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a plus size and at Jon's Bridal every dress I put on was my size and they had a huge selection.
  • blseveranceblseverance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips and advice ladies.. I actually have a dress in mind that I found online and am in love with.. The only place that carries the line close by is Athena's.. Which is why I was asking specifically about that store.. If it doesn't work out, I'll definately be looking into the other places suggested.
  • edited December 2011
    Went to Athena's bridal had a good time until they kicked me out. They were having a trunk show and only let me try one 3 dresses and then was asked me if I wanted to try on an of the trunk show dresses, I said no and they said I had to leave. I would not go back because they obviously did not want my service. I went to Alfredo Angelo and they were AWESOME!!! They kept me there past closing time and let me try on as many dresses as I wanted. I actually bought my dress and I got it on sale. I would look them up, they are in Tampa by the stadium.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards