Florida-West Coast

Wedding Planner

Hi all,
I had a quick question. I have been looking around the area for great wedding planners/coordinators because I know NOTHING about weddings. My budget is 6500-7000 but that is for everything (hotel, bouqets, cake, and some other stuff) Also, I am only going to have about 40 guests.  I have been talking with one company in the area and they sound wonderful. I am just scared because the cost to keep her is about 27% of my budget. Is this normal? Should I consider another option?

Re: Wedding Planner

• Depends on how good she is. 
  • Well, according to fellow community members on the knot, this company was highly recommended. I just want to make sure I have enough money for everything else. :P
  • So what's the company?  There is one in Tampa that's super expensive, but they're good.
  • It's Chic Design and Fabulous. Like I said, their work looks awesome but if I can't afford them, I just can't afford them :) I am not, by any means, saying anything bad about anyone because this company did not give me any reason to dislike them. Their price appears reasonable but I am just on a tight budget.
  • My wedding planner took up most of my budget followed my photography. I didn't use any of those silly calculators. My budget was a little higher than yours but not by much!

My planner, Tammy at Special Moments, more than made up for her eating up my budget... ;) She helped me save so much money and made everything run smoothly. I did have 3 times the guests you had though - so a planner was a must!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Julie @ Chic n Fabulous is TOTALLY worth it!!!!!  Guess what?  She's my wedding planner and I adore her!
  • I am also using Tammy with Special Moments.  She is absolutely wonderful and like Krystal said she has more than paid for the price of her services in money saved with vendors and by using a lot of her items that she has in her inventory (this way you don't have to rent things).  I have a guest count of 90 so for me a coordinator was a must and well worth every penny I am spending!
    Photobucket Me:36 DH: 34 TTC since 02/2012, not preventing since 2010. Me: testing came back good. DH: dx: MIF low count/motility. RE recommends IVF with ICSI. Update: DH just diagnosed with severe Crohn's disease, so any IF treatment is on hold :(
  • Krystal I just noticed your ticker, Congratulations!!!
    Photobucket Me:36 DH: 34 TTC since 02/2012, not preventing since 2010. Me: testing came back good. DH: dx: MIF low count/motility. RE recommends IVF with ICSI. Update: DH just diagnosed with severe Crohn's disease, so any IF treatment is on hold :(
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My planner is taking a nice little penny but my sanity has been worth every cent
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • I know exactly what you mean, M1ssJ. I would like to think that I am a fairly organized individual but wedding planning, I believe, would be enough to drive me crazy. I am a full-time student right now so looking at more binders and figures may not be ideal for me. Also, I have no family in the area because my fiance is military and, to make things worse, he works NIGHTS! Again, I appreciate everyone's advice on this because weddings are quite an undertaking. We also just moved into our new apartment less than a year ago so I don't have any nearby girl friends to help. (I know, I stink :P)
  • My friend who was married in April, who also was planning a destination wedding, used Christie from Winsor Event Studio. She recommended her to me, and I have to say her wedding was amazing, even on a tight budget! She is one of the most affordable planners I have seen from my initial research for myself and the one wedding I have been to of hers was beautiful!! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_wedding-planner-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:62Discussion:f3f71b91-e662-434f-8203-cfc70ef16f15Post:6a2079a1-f341-4f90-ac28-5d651de35a04">Re: Wedding Planner</a>:
    [QUOTE]Krystal I just noticed your ticker, Congratulations!!!
    Posted by tampabayRN[/QUOTE]
    Thank you lady! What a year it has been. =]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_wedding-planner-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:62Discussion:f3f71b91-e662-434f-8203-cfc70ef16f15Post:421c37cc-b08c-4312-8057-187b4052befc">Re: Wedding Planner</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's Chic Design and Fabulous. Like I said, their work looks awesome but if I can't afford them, I just can't afford them :) I am not, by any means, saying anything bad about anyone because this company did not give me any reason to dislike them. Their price appears reasonable but I am just on a tight budget.
    Posted by Geekosaurus[/QUOTE]

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000"> </font><font face="Lucida Sans"><font color="#000000"><font size="3">I had the same thoughts as you when I met with Julie at Chic.<span>  <em>Do I really want to spend this money when I could put it somewhere else?</em>  However, a</span></font><font size="3">fter taking the plunge and deciding to hire her, she has more than paid for herself...and I was able to add a videographer.</font><span><font size="3">  </font></span><font size="3">I promise, you will be so glad you did.</font><span><font size="3">  </font></span><font size="3">She has saved me more money than I paid her.  She helps keep things on track, she has helped me with uncooperative vendors, and I know my wedding will be better because she is going to be a part of it.  And I won't have to lift a finger!  And I agree with PP, you can't always trust the calculators that say you should spend certain amounts/percentages on things.  It just doesn't always work out that way.</font></font></font><p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Lucida Sans" size="3" color="#000000"> </font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000"> </font>
  • Thanks again, everyone. I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around it because, I figure my reception, alone, will cost me a little over $3,000 on a $6500 budget. (I may have to boost it my budget...) To save money, I am buying my dress online for $150, which I don't mind and somewhere with the money left over, I have to get flowers, entertainment, stationary, the rest of the attire, photography, and all that other stuff. I guess I am just scared. I have my options narrowed down to her and The Beach House located in Bradenton Beach Florida. Both have been very responsive to my e-mails. :)
  • I made our bouquets [brooch bouquet for myself and paper pinwheels for the maids] and got some wholesale flowers from Costco for the tables. I did invitations myself with kits I found half off at Marshall's. I splurged on a DJ and photography but the little things add up. Once you get further into planning, and if you have a planner, you will be able to see all the ways to cut corners and save!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards