Florida-West Coast

Calligraphy classes...?

Anyone know where they offer calligraphy classes at?  I want to address my invitations myself, but would like to do something a bit fancier than my typical cursive.  Does anyone know if they offer these classes at Michaels or another hobby type place?

TIA!
Brooke + Chavis
est. 10/10/10

Photobucket CafeMom Tickers

Re: Calligraphy classes...?

• ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Before I sucked it up and paid a pro, I tried to find a class or resource to do them myself and came up empty handed. I came thisclose to fauxligraphy (tracing with a calligraphy pen) but didn't have the patience. My one recommendation is to check out community center classes. Now that it's summer and kids need productive outlets, they may be offering a lot more options. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ats/1814853304.html
    Not sure how long it takes to learn, may actually be cheaper to hire a calligrapher!
  • edited December 2011
    There are also calligraphy kits at craft stores where they give you the instructions to teach yourself inside the kit...if you ahve the patience and time to diy with the kits i think tehy are like 40 dollars and come with 2 pens and the option of 3 inks..(???) GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Another option.  I'm using Diane @ Tampa Calligraphy.

Her website is www.tampacalligraphy.com.

She charges $.50/envelope and had the envelopes ready the next day.  She even met me half way at International Mall.
  • edited December 2011
    Please don't take this the wrong way....I am so not a "debbie downer" and I am all for the DIY but, it takes a long time to perfect calligraphy (I took classes years ago).  I guess I just want to raise the point that your expectation may be higher than the output when you are first learning.  If you have time, I would definitely do it and just practice, practice practice.  Like the pp it might just be cheaper and less stressful in the long run to have someone do it.  GL!
    updated: 8/23 the wedding plan 60 in the mailimage 42 Bags are packedimage 18 Missing the funimage
  • edited December 2011
    No offense taken Melis.  It's definitely something to take into consideration.
    I know for a lot of brides the invitations are a top priority and spend a lot of time and money perfecting them.  But, for me, I honestly care very little since I know they will only end up in the trash.  I'm certianly not looking for "perfection" - just a way to snazz up my own handwriting a bit.

My FI actually found a nice calligraphy kit with several pens and a book at Borders on clearance the other day, so I'm going to practice with that a bit and see how it goes.  Who knows?  I will probably end up just paying someone else to do it.  I just really enjoy being a "DIY bride" and being involved as much as possible.
    Brooke + Chavis
    est. 10/10/10

Photobucket CafeMom Tickers
  • edited December 2011
    That is a great way of looking at Bre and they are going to look fabulous either way...in fact, I hope you post some pics so we all can see!  I agree about the DIY bride thing, it's a great feeling to say "I did that!"
    updated: 8/23 the wedding plan 60 in the mailimage 42 Bags are packedimage 18 Missing the funimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards