New York

Vendor help!!

ok got the venue..interviewing a florist and a photographer over the next 2 weeks..both have excellent reviews..

DJ..talked to one guy.. kevin something (sorry i forget this particular moment) british accent, seemed nice..kind of a "smooth talker" ..he didn'rt give me a quote or anything..wants me to meet him at the venue to talk shop.. (45 min drive) and the ball park he said was between 800-2000 but he then said i should biudget 1500-2000 dollars.

that's like $100.00 an hour!  apparently he has an assistant and i am sure there is some overhead.. but even still this seems a bit pricey to me. 

Anyone have a good experience with a DJ for under a grand (say $500-800).
Uplighting is a plus but not necessary.  Good MC and WIDE selection of music a must (NO group dances of any kind-skip the chicken dance and Macarana-thanx)

i would LOVE a photobooth but unless i win the lottery sometime, that is out too. 

Really I just want fun ways to make this day memorable for my guests.. i was thinking of doing my own photobooth of some kind.. maybe with a polaroid (if i can find someone with one) ..i am a litle weary of using my digital camera..i wouldn't want it to get lost in the mix.  Props are not a problem..i can just raid our halloween box.

Re: Vendor help!!

• edited December 2011
    oops..forgot to mention: i live in Rochester..wedding is in Geneva -his fam is in syracuse..so any location out of those 3 should be fine.
  • edited December 2011
    also, any experience with local wedding bands also appreicated.. i haven't given up the idea of live music.. i know, less of a selection..but the ambience!!
  • C*MiaC*Mia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using whirlin' disc DJ they run for about $500 they have gotten really good reviews. They will do anything you want to!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey... There are SEVERAL good dj's out of Rochester and Syracuse (you are in luck, because they usually both will service Geneva) who will work for 650 to 1000 with everything you are looking for. You could probably grab one of the free bride and groom mags at wegmans and if you enter your email the vendors themselves can email you with quotes (makes the process easier). Also ask your photographer about a photobooth option, if they work with an assistant they might include an option, I read reviews about ours doing this! Also - where in Geneva? Bellhurst? Club 86? Ventosa? That will also play a role in deciding whether you need lighting with the dj (club 86 has their own lighting...)
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • edited December 2011

Belhurst.. a girl i work with is using whirlwind next month (i forgot to ask her who her vendors were until yesterday.  also the bestman is a karoke DJ at a very popular karoke club in syracuse.. so i decided to call him yesterday..he also suggested whirlwind.. i am checking them out :)  THANKS>. and $500 is a perfect ammount for my budget.

• burtcherylburtcheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we used Kevin Colangelo and he is brilliant!
    I think we paid about 1500 give or take.
    Thing is there are many DJs out there all different prices but many are low end and low quality tacky chicken dance types - we did not want that nonsense....Kevin has incredible idea's that really make your wedding different and comes to visit you at your home which we thought was first class.
    Our guests kept asking over and over where we found him.
    The accent is a bonus too!
    I would not hesitate to recommend him;
    I would set up a meeting to meet him and see what we mean - I think you will be very impressed at his knowledge and idea's.
    his site is
    www.djkevincolangelo.com
    Burt and Cheryl
  • xtina1221xtina1221 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hey- I am getting married at belhurst this month!!...

My DJ is Whirlin Disc DJ- I have them an unlimited time- for ceremony and reception for 800 dollars...That was the price last year atleast

Photographer is Chelse Thompson from www.EIEIOphotograph.com .. LOVE HER AND she has a photobooth with props she sets up- I also got that in my package... It has a back drop and what not- She is awesome to work with.....

Good luck!!!

• jessshireyjessshirey member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    one good idea for the photo booth could be to use disposable cameras and when you do your thank-yous include pics of those people
  • burtcherylburtcheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One thing I think your all missing - its not 4 hours you pay for in a DJ service its all the other hours they put in before the event, travel, set up breakdown and their experience, talent etc
    Burt and Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards