New York
Options

Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue

Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I l,ove your theme and the items you have purchased so far look really neat.  I would stick with those and just kind of build from there.  I don't know that any of the traditional fall colors would really works well with what you've already got though... except for maybe a chocolate brown or champagne.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    raes19raes19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my wedding, I wanted understated fall colors. After thinking of a lot of different combinations, I finally settled on gold and brown being our main colors, with red accents thrown in for some color. I think as long as you stick with more neutral colors and pick one bolder color, it will fit with the items you have. Monica's idea of champagne is a good choice, as it's a nice understated color that can easily be played up.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Love your props!  I like chocolate brown and sage green, because those colors remind me of land, which coordinates with traveling.  Champagne would be a nice accent too!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you guys have a lot fun traveling! I think a lot of colors work for fall, but maybe an eggplant with accents, even an offwhite, would work. I'm a fan of eggplant (our main collor!) lol

I agree with PP, chocolate brown and sage would be beautiful too!
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Happily9Happily9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_matching-colors-theme-month-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:717e2c68-c762-4fac-a330-e87c4f8f5247Post:d314b6a5-9149-4126-81e8-5347ddd186cb">Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like you guys have a lot fun traveling! I think a lot of colors work for fall, but maybe an eggplant with accents, even an offwhite, would work. I'm a fan of eggplant (our main collor!) lol I agree with PP, chocolate brown and sage would be beautiful too!
    Posted by JN382[/QUOTE]

Love this idea with the chocolate brown and sage with eggplant accents!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's one of those colors that can work in any season depending on the accents, we are using eggplant and lavender for an evening summer wedding. But in the fall, it could be great with sage as well. I think there are so many great combos out there!

If you are still unsure, you could always go to the paint department at Lowe's or HDepot and look at all the color samples and just mix and match (that may be lame, but just an idea!).
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love the theme!

My advice, dont worry too much about the room itself. My venue was incredible outdated. As in pink ceiling, lace look on the walls. The chairs were red. I had a green and orange theme....and I never noticed the clashing like I was sooo concerned that I would.

I agree with the chocolate, eggplant, and sage. Maybe some of your own burgundy if you wanted to tie the room into your theme. From the looks of what you have, its a lot of older looking styles, and browns. So I think the previously mentioned colors would look great.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_matching-colors-theme-month-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:717e2c68-c762-4fac-a330-e87c4f8f5247Post:23abc7dc-2bb3-474f-a5a7-5b37dcbff18e">Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Love the theme! <strong>My advice, dont worry too much about the room itself.</strong> My venue was incredible outdated. As in pink ceiling, lace look on the walls. The chairs were red. I had a green and orange theme....and I never noticed the clashing like I was sooo concerned that I would. I agree with the chocolate, eggplant, and sage. Maybe some of your own burgundy if you wanted to tie the room into your theme. From the looks of what you have, its a lot of older looking styles, and browns. So I think the previously mentioned colors would look great.
    Posted by DondadaTimes2[/QUOTE]

This too.  Don't stress too much and pay too much attention to the actual room... no one else will and you will drive yourself crazy trying to make everything work with whatever outdated carpet, wallpaper, furniture they already have in there.  I forgot to say that in my post yesterday. 

Also, personally, I woulld pick one "theme" (if having one at all) and stick with it.  IMHO, "fall" would be a theme.  If you are trying to do travel and fall... I would just take caution not to clash or have your themes get too out of control. 
    Online Garage Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I adore the pieces you've already picked up and the other girls color suggestions!

While I don't think you need to stress about coordinating your colors to those of the ballroom, I definitely understand it being an issue. My venue's scheme is very much taupe, gold, etc., and I cringe when I see it decorated in black and hot pink, for example. It just looks silly. That being said, I think you're already looking in the right color families so I don't think that will be an issue.

ETA: Our September colors are eggplant, light pink and gold. I was more concerned about matching the venue and theme (subtle vineyard) than fall.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great advice! Hearing from all of you really helps me sift through everything and narrow things down. The champagne, sage and chocolate combo sounds pretty. I'm going to look at some palettes and see how that all comes together.

Also (and this may sound weird), I have about five weddings next year, and I just don't want to do the same thing as anyone else. I had originally thought of navy and yellow but then realized we just went to a friend's wedding who used those same colors. I know it's silly, there are only so many colors after all, but I don't want to feel like I'm copying anyone else. Has anyone else had that problem?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_matching-colors-theme-month-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:717e2c68-c762-4fac-a330-e87c4f8f5247Post:65c8c87f-2e9a-4320-9f20-47c8cf086c15">Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the great advice! Hearing from all of you really helps me sift through everything and narrow things down. The champagne, sage and chocolate combo sounds pretty. I'm going to look at some palettes and see how that all comes together. Also (and this may sound weird), I have about five weddings next year, and I just don't want to do the same thing as anyone else. I had originally thought of navy and yellow but then realized we just went to a friend's wedding who used those same colors. I know it's silly, there are only so many colors after all, but I don't want to feel like I'm copying anyone else.<strong> Has anyone else had that problem?  
    </strong>Posted by LadyJ2949[/QUOTE]

No.  I really didn't care if anyone had the same colors, same dress, same cake... as long as they didn't have the same groom... we were good.

Your wedding will be special and it will be unique in a sense that it will be you and your fi's... but other than that, chances are you will be doing many things the same or similar to someone else's.   (OMG... she had chocolate cake too!?!?!  My life is O-V-E-R). 

I think that your theme is really awesome... on one hand, I'm sure it's been done before... just google it and you will find pics.  On the other hand, your chances are pretty good that it will be unique in your group of family/friends. 

As for colors... I really would not worry about using the same or similar colors.  Chances are someone you know has used one of them... maybe all of them... but who cares?  Yours will look much different, even if you use the same exact color pallette.  If anything, it could be a good thing.  You could get ideas from them and maybe even borrow some items. 

If you get all wrapped up in "My wedding has to be totally special and unique and different in every way possible"... you are going to drive yourself crazy and end up making a lot last minute changes.  Not worth it.  Not a single one of your guests will think "Can you believe she used BROWN?  Oh my gosh... Becky used brown too?  What a copycat."... trust me... no one will care.  At the end of the day, every bride has the exact same goal... "I do"... how you get there is all just details.

Cliff notes:  use the colors you want.
    Online Garage Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_matching-colors-theme-month-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:717e2c68-c762-4fac-a330-e87c4f8f5247Post:76e15620-bbdc-408c-85e8-5db67cd19b5d">Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue : No. <strong> I really didn't care if anyone had the same colors, same dress, same cake... as long as they didn't have the same groom... we were good.</strong> Your wedding will be special and it will be unique in a sense that it will be you and your fi's... but other than that, chances are you will be doing many things the same or similar to someone else's.   (OMG... she had chocolate cake too!?!?!  My life is O-V-E-R).  I think that your theme is really awesome... on one hand, I'm sure it's been done before... just google it and you will find pics.  On the other hand, your chances are pretty good that it will be unique in your group of family/friends.  As for colors... I really would not worry about using the same or similar colors.  Chances are someone you know has used one of them... maybe all of them... but who cares?  Yours will look much different, even if you use the same exact color pallette.  If anything, it could be a good thing.  You could get ideas from them and maybe even borrow some items.  If you get all wrapped up in "My wedding has to be totally special and unique and different in every way possible"... you are going to drive yourself crazy and end up making a lot last minute changes.  Not worth it.  Not a single one of your guests will think "Can you believe she used BROWN?  Oh my gosh... Becky used brown too?  What a copycat."... trust me... no one will care.  At the end of the day, every bride has the exact same goal... "I do"... how you get there is all just details. Cliff notes:  use the colors you want.
    Posted by kevinandmonica2011[/QUOTE]

You're better than a cup of joe in the morning Monica!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_matching-colors-theme-month-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:717e2c68-c762-4fac-a330-e87c4f8f5247Post:76e15620-bbdc-408c-85e8-5db67cd19b5d">Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue : (OMG... she had chocolate cake too!?!?!  My life is O-V-E-R).  I Posted by kevinandmonica2011[/QUOTE]

LOLOL ok I'm not being THAT silly! But I see your point. I just didn't want to step on toes and wasn't sure of the etiquette (i.e. is it bad form to do have similar colors, decorations, favors, etc.) I really haven't thought about my wedding at all until I got engaged so I feel like a fish out of water here. But you're right; it really is about my fiance and I, and no one else.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_matching-colors-theme-month-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:717e2c68-c762-4fac-a330-e87c4f8f5247Post:47f4c7dc-d3c9-47c5-928f-9a5d4702d046">Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matching Colors with Theme, Month, and Venue : LOLOL ok I'm not being THAT silly! But I see your point. I just didn't want to step on toes and wasn't sure of the etiquette (i.e. is it bad form to do have similar colors, decorations, favors, etc.) I really haven't thought about my wedding at all until I got engaged so I feel like a fish out of water here. <strong>But you're right; it really is about my fiance and I, and no one else.  
    </strong>Posted by LadyJ2949[/QUOTE]

I wass overexaggerating to make sure I got my point across (I do that a lot, lol)... and actually, the bolded part was not my point.  It is not only about you and your fi.  It is about your guests, too... your friends and family... the people who you have chosen (by inviting them) to spend the day with.   I don't think you will be stepping on anyone toes with colors, decor, favors, etc... which I why I said to go with what you want...  but that doesn't mean to steamroll over everyone about <em>everything</em> with an "It's all about ME ME ME and fi" attitude.  I'm not saying that you are or would... but I wanted to make sure that my point was not misconstrued somehow.  Hope this clarifies.
    Online Garage Sale
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards