New York

Wedding Gift Calculator Website

Did you all see this?  It was posted on SB & E, I think.  It's pretty interesting.

http://www.theweddingenvelope.com/calculator.php
Anniversary

Re: Wedding Gift Calculator Website

• edited December 2011
    Thats so freakin cool!

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Wow...
    I don't know whether to be disgusted, insulted or impressed.
    I I were attending my own wedding, I would be expected to bring a $170 gift.  Schnikes!!!
    Not sure what to make of this site.

Thanks for sharing.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Ooo, I didnt even think to do my own wedding. Josh has a coworker/Casual friend who said the standard gift is $100. I gotta see whose gettin the raw end of the deal! Haha

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    "Hello, the suggested total amount you should give for this wedding is $240 "

We're gettin screwed! Daaaamn!

• edited December 2011
    According to this website, this couple has to go to 5+ weddings and make next to nothing to give us $100...and theyre casual friends. Thats disgusting.

• edited December 2011
    $240 is a ton of money... holy crap.
    Maybe I haven't been to a wedding in a while... wow... I would never expect people to spend that much.  I must be dirt cheap.  I thought I was being generous when I bought stuff for $100-150 off their registries.  Geesh.  They probably think I'm a real cheap skate.
    I had no idea that was standard.  I think it's kind of a bunch of BS.  Maybe it is unusually high b/c it is divided by state and we get lumped in with NYC.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • rsfan23rsfan23 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did that and put my employment status as unemployed and picked close friend and it was $10.  Then, I did it again and included FI's income and it was $165 for the same scenario.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Im assuming its b/c of NYC. Damn city! See, casual friends get $50. Congrats on your wedding, for your bday you got a fb message, youre lucky I spend $50. Haha man Im cheap!

What about people who have a decent income and tons of bills?! Josh and I dont make a ton and I have 35G in school loans, an 80G house, and we each have new 15G cars! I cant afford to be giving a casual friend $100. Sorry :/

• edited December 2011
    Im havin fun now! Ok so I have friends in Conn. Siblings (both getting married in the same yr), family friends. Attending the wedding and only the wedding alone, but I have 3 weddings this yr (both theirs and my sisters). It says I should give them $-5. That means they have to give me $5! Woo! I am so going! Haha

• sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hahaha!  Yeah, I tried a few different combinations and got back different things.  NYC definitely skews it, I think.

The calculator worked out well for me overall; I'm going to use it to try and get my FI to spend less money on other people's wedding presents!  Not that I'm trying to be cheap but he's in school full-time and I have a fairly low-paying job.  Problem is that we used to live in NYC, he used to have a good job, and his friends all have good jobs so he still wants to keep up with the Jones'.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ooo thats rough. Joshs bff moved to Texas after being offered a job that pays upwards of 90G a yr. He went to OCC for 2 yrs...lets talk about pissed off. Well, this kid owns a house in NY(paid in cash), has a fully furnished and paid for apt in TX, a brand new jeep (paid in cash), a way expensive dog (cash, duh)...all of which he started getting after Josh did...like he had to 1 up him and get the same thing but more expensive just b/c he could. Well, now when hes in town Josh tries to go out and spend money on food/drinks/etc as if hes got his bff's $$. Not a good thing b/c we together dont make 1/2 of what bff does. So I totally understand

• edited December 2011
    Yea that is def skewed. I'm going to a wedding in June and it said that we have to give $350!!!!!! Umm not happening.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards