New York

Local Photographer

I can't stand that every photographer I find is just shy of $3000!  I cannot afford to spend that much and when I went on craigslist as some people suggested, I can't find anyone who is any good.  Or they don't contact me back at all.  I am debating on just having a friend who takes photos as a hobby do the pictures but I'm afraid they won't come out well and it isn't like we can get a do-over.  HELP!

Re: Local Photographer

• edited December 2011
    Umm... hi.  Typically, we ask that new posters start off with some sort of an introduction.  Name, wedding date and location at minimum will get you a lot more help than just posting a rant.  This board covers everywhere from Buffalo to Syracuse and from Cortland all the way up north to St. Lawrence co.  We have girls from all over the place who would be happy to send some recommendations/advice your way.... but it is difficult to be of any use without a little information from you.

ETA:  Welcome to the board.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are you located?  That would help us narrow it down.  My photog is in the range you describe above -- I was shocked that photographers cost that much money.  But I know there are cheaper ones around too.  If you're really on a budget, what about asking around at one of the local colleges?
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, it really depends on where you're located. Also, you might be able to negotiate a cheaper photo package if the photographer is willing to.. e.g. if they don't do a final coffee table book, extra prints, 3 hours instead of 5 shooting. You might have to really be willing to compromise, and in turn, might lose some special moments during the reception/ceremony.

I like the idea of hiring an aspiring photographer from a local school. OCC and Syracuse U have those programs and I'm sure there are others (that I'm not aware of)
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Students at SU who are photojournalism majors are in the S.I. Newhouse School of whatever-it's-called, which is one of THEE most prestigious, difficult schools for that to get into. You can try a photojournalism student, and ask to see their previous work and determine if you're comfortable with it.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    RIT has an internationally recognized photography school. You could try a student from there.
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_local-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:82fa7095-41b0-4b49-b318-1aaaba0e18c7Post:402aa4b5-103d-4eec-a437-640564439ad4">Re: Local Photographer</a>:
    [QUOTE]RIT has an internationally recognized photography school. You could try a student from there.
    Posted by ChelseaB425[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, because I graduated from RIT and know they have an excellent photography program.  We can give you recommendations from Rochester to Syracuse to Utica, so an intro about yourself and your venue would really help us narrow down choices.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • csharpe44csharpe44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, my bad.  Wedding date is June 9th,  Liverpool Methodist and reception at the Barking Gull, picnic theme (little baskets, watermelons, etc) um...not getting any financial help so the budget is super tight.  I had no idea how much some of these things cost just because they're for a wedding.
    I like the idea of hiring a student.  I'll have to figure out how to get in touch with them...
  • Happily9Happily9 member
    edited December 2011
    Wish I could help you, but I am a little too far away to give you recommendations.  Welcome to the board though.  That's a very cute, unique theme!
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, that definitely helps.  I live in Liverpool and know the area pretty well, but have never hear of the Barking Gull.  Neat. 

Anywho... definitely agree w/ the SU thing.  You need to start looking asap b/c you wedding is during the summer (most students get the heck out of Syracuse right after finals)... AND prime-time wedding season, so if you don't have any luck with a student, the pro's book up pretty fast during that time (May-Oct).

I would contact the appropriate department at SU (I think Lorna gave the name above) and ask if they know of any seniors looking to build their portfolio.  The chair of that department should be able to provide a few recommendations.

If you do't have any luck with that, I can dig up some names from when I first started looking for a photog.  One of my BMs used someone out of Syracuse for her own wedding.  She was wicked cheap and the pics were great.

My photog was out of Buffalo and she was well within your price range.  Actually, all but a few of the photogs I looked at were well under $3K.  What you may have to sacrifice are some "extras" like printed photos (I paid for a copyright to all photos on a CD) and a coffee table book. 

As an idea, we had 2 photographers, ALL day (10am-11pm) copyright to all photos on CD (professionally edited/retouched) and we paid @ $1800.  Sure, we'll get prints, enlargements and books, etc.  When we're ready to pay for them at a later date.  So... this might be an option for you.

Also, have you been to any bridal shows?  I have seen and spoken to dozens of photogs there... and very rarely (Alter Image is the only one I can think of, actually) were they over $2500.  You might want to check out a show if one comes around.  You can talk to several different photogs in one shot and see some of their work.  Sometimes they offer deals for booking at a show.

There are plenty of amazing photograhers out there (pro and amateur) for under $3K.... you might just have to widen your search options and cut out a few extras, but you really should have no problem sticking within your budget.  HTH and good luck,
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    Monica, thanks for the tip on your photog and paying under two grand. Mind if I have their contact info/website?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_local-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:82fa7095-41b0-4b49-b318-1aaaba0e18c7Post:be4a9351-1261-4bce-96c8-a54e0f7e55e1">Re: Local Photographer</a>:
    [QUOTE]Monica, thanks for the tip on your photog and paying under two grand. Mind if I have their contact info/website?
    Posted by lornarose07[/QUOTE]

No problem.  Her name is Tess Moran... I brag about her ALL the time.  Loved her!!!  Her website is <a href="http://www.tessmoran.com" rel='nofollow'>www.tessmoran.com</a> and I have a few of her pics in my "mrs" bio.  I also have a ton pf pictures on my shutterfly site, so if you want to see those too, just let me know.  I am not sure if her prices have gone up this year (we bookied her last summer)... but even if they have, she would be well worth every penny.  She is out of Buffalo, but happily shot our ceremony in Syracuse.  She is the BEST!!!!  Highly highly recommended!
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    Bridal shows. I completely forgot about those! Definitely another good place to go!

Yes, at SU you can contact a couple programs that are related-- journalism at Newhouse or VPA, they have an art photography program. I'm biased, though-- I'm an alum :-)
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_local-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:82fa7095-41b0-4b49-b318-1aaaba0e18c7Post:c1dada33-4640-4488-8a7d-bdf8bab6c0fc">Re: Local Photographer</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bridal shows. I completely forgot about those! Definitely another good place to go! Yes, at SU you can contact a couple programs that are related-- journalism at Newhouse or VPA, they have an art photography program. <strong>I'm biased, though-- I'm an alum :-)
    </strong>Posted by JN382[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a little school pride :)  Sounds like SU is a better location fit for csharpe's Liverpool wedding.  Good luck!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
     We had the same issue with being shocked at the cost of photography.  We had a small, backyard style wedding and we didn't want the whole huge package with lots of albums, multiple photographers and 10hrs of service.  We found our photographer on craigslist and she was wonderful.  She's based out of Rochester but traveled for our wedding on Keuka Lake.  We had 5 hours of coverage and all our photos with rights on a CD for $649.  It was just the right package for us and she was willing to work with our wants/needs. 

As PP suggested, to help save on costs just get the rights and digital copies of your prints and do the enlargements, prints and albums later.  We started picking up groupons to Picaboo, Mixbook etc and have over $400 worth of credits that we spent like $100 on.  We'd much rather make them on our own then have someone else do it if only becuase we can do it on our own schedule/time.  I have a friend who did the whole photo album package thing and she had a hard time sitting down to select which photos she wanted in an album and still 2 years later, has gotten it back to her photographer (I have a feeling she may have lost the ability to get those albums now).  But definitely just keep looking, it's shocking at first at the costs but after doing some digging and the such, you can find a great photographer in your price range :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_local-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:82fa7095-41b0-4b49-b318-1aaaba0e18c7Post:0c025faa-65f3-4dd6-8e88-bd35b45b03b4">Re: Local Photographer</a>:
    [QUOTE] We had the same issue with being shocked at the cost of photography.  We had a small, backyard style wedding and we didn't want the whole huge package with lots of albums, multiple photographers and 10hrs of service.  We found our photographer on craigslist and she was wonderful.  She's based out of Rochester but traveled for our wedding on Keuka Lake. <strong> We had 5 hours of coverage and all our photos with rights on a CD for $649.  It was just the right package for us and she was willing to work with our wants/needs.  As PP suggested, to help save on costs just get the rights and digital copies of your prints and do the enlargements, prints and albums later. </strong>
    Posted by LarissaB[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the type of person I'm looking for!  Do you still have her info/site/email?  And I'm going to keep checking craigslist...June 9th wedding, I still have time right?
  • edited December 2011
    Her name is Sonia and her site is Sonia Maria Photography (link).  I like her more recent pictures on her blog (link) than what she has on the gallery on the site.  And for a June 9th wedding, I think you have plenty of time.  We got engaged late January 2011 and were married in July so we had about 6 months to get it all planned and had no problems (again though we had a small low-key wedding so not to many vendors).  We talked with photographers in mid-february and still found a bunch to choose from.  But she is really great.  Friendly, professional, great with kids, and just wonderful to work with.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bitofritsbitofrits member
    edited December 2011

I'd suggest the wedding shows - they usually have day-of specials and you can talk to the photographers and see their work... although I think the next one isn't until October.

I'm not too familiar with photographers in the area.  A friend's mom, Pam Proctor, does weddings and I'm pretty sure she's extremely reasonable.  I believe she gives all of the pictures of CDs as well.  Her emai isl: mitzie@twcny.rr.com.  Here's examples of her pictures if you want to check it out: 

http://karimahandibrahim.shutterfly.com

http://nicoleandjay.shutterfly.com

http://jaredv.shutterfly.com/

http://susieandtyler.shutterfly.com/

http://laurieandchrisb.shutterfly.com

http://donnaandjg.shutterfly.com

http://daveyanddanielle.shutterfly.com

My Attempted Wedding Blog - http://aroseywedding.blogspot.com/
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I are using Chris Johnson from Static Moments in Rome. He works with his wife Jen.  She does the business side of it.  There prices seemed reasonable and they are super nice!! 
    http://staticmoments.com/index.html

I hope this helps!!
    Happy planning!
    221 Invited image
    185 Ready to Rock! image
    36 Party Poopers image
    0 Can't find the mailbox image
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_local-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:82fa7095-41b0-4b49-b318-1aaaba0e18c7Post:e89c1aa7-0586-43bb-9860-0e74445943d9">Re: Local Photographer</a>:
    [QUOTE]Her name is Sonia and her site is Sonia Maria Photography (link).  I like her more recent pictures on her blog (link) than what she has on the gallery on the site.  And for a June 9th wedding, I think you have plenty of time.  We got engaged late January 2011 and were married in July so we had about 6 months to get it all planned and had no problems <strong>(again though we had a small low-key wedding so not to many vendors).</strong>  We talked with photographers in mid-february and still found a bunch to choose from.  But she is really great.  Friendly, professional, great with kids, and just wonderful to work with.
    Posted by LarissaB[/QUOTE]

That is what I'm trying to go for too!  I'll check out her pictures (when I'm not wedding planning at work, hehe)!  You guys have all been SUPER helpful.  It makes me feel a lot less like I'm going this all on my own.  My fiancee works out of town all week and on the weekends, the last thing he wants to do is 'wedding talk'.  Thanks everybody!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so happy I went with a smaller, low-key wedding as there was little to no stress and I had a ton of fun at my wedding.  We were married at my in-law's lake cottage in front of our immediate family and close friends (25 people), headed out to a local restaurant for dinner and then headed back to the lake for cupcakes, drinks and fun.  We focused on the areas of wedding planning/prep we found fun like making decorations and didn't bother with things we aren't fans of like DJs/dancing.  Our guests had a blast and everyone really enjoyed the more laid back atmosphere (we told everyone to bring their suits and we ended up swimming after dinner, there were also bubbles, board games and yard games).  Just try not to stress too much and enjoy the day and with almost a year to go, I think you'll have no trouble finding vendors if low-key/backyard is what you are going for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards